How long would it take a Tarantula to become dehydrated?

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All depends esp on other enviromental factors. why do you ask hmmmmmmmmm??

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Two days, three hours, nine minutes and 27 seconds... Now that I'm done being cheeky, nobody can really tell you that. You have to take into account the humidity of the container the animal is in. The dryer and warmer the container, the faster it is going to lose water and dehydrate. Smaller spiders will also dry out much faster than larger spiders. I don't know if you're asking out of curiosity or not but I'd suggest keeping a small soda cap in there filled with water so you don't have to worry about dehydration. Just keep it filled and clean.

As a side note, the spider will probably decide it is a bulldozer and start pushing substrate into it but that's okay. It'll help keep the substrate damp and substrate can always be removed.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
All depends esp on other enviromental factors. why do you ask hmmmmmmmmm??
and its not like im try to get it dehydrated im just curious cuz i just got it and im not sure the pet store did such a great job

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
They very rarely do, but there are exceptions.

Just keep it dry, with a small waterdish appropriate to its size. Maybe retard the ventilation a bit if gets too dry.
Which pet store did you get it from?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know personally that mine went two weeks once without a waer refill. I dampened the soil before I left and filled the water bowl to over flowing but my roommate forgot to check up on them while I was gone. There were a few species that I lost and some it didn't seem to bother at all. I lost all my Aussie Ts, a few avics, and my tiger rump. :( but all my gramies were fine and some of my avics were just fine and my LP was just fine

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
i like how it sais: 130 views!!! but 5 comments
Well, the guys here summed it up nicely. If 130 people gave opinions, well it would be the biggest post on the site. For something thats answered.

If its attention you want, pose in superman pj's pointing at the said T's enclosure. That might warrent more replies *shrugs :D

axbrown

Arachnopeon
Well, I've had a T with a full water bowl get dehydrated overnight. I just put them in an ICU, if needed, and one of my T's kept getting dehydrated everytime it got better, and eventually died. Never drank, never ate. So I know its a little more than you asked for, but some times it just happens, and is unavoidable.

Last edited: