How long were you in the hobby before getting bit?

cold blood

Staff member
Well, duh! Rabbits are the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodents you'll ever set eyes on!

Obligatory cite:
(Before somebody beats me to it)
My single favorite monty python scene of all time.:clap::clap::clap:

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
9 years (I think) & no bites... From spiders or Ts.
I did get a bite from a roach once feeding a pokie tho, so there's that .

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
[video=youtube;1NPvXMoVCV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NPvXMoVCV8[/video]

But seriously, before I get yelled at for being off-topic, I can think of multitudes of animals more aggressive than most of the Ts I've worked with. Even the furry "cute" ones.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
[video=youtube;1NPvXMoVCV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NPvXMoVCV8[/video]

But seriously, before I get yelled at for being off-topic, I can think of multitudes of animals more aggressive than most of the Ts I've worked with. Even the furry "cute" ones.
Hamsters come to mind before rabbits..just saying xD

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
20+ years of keeping spiders, never been bit by a tarantula, but a Malaysian Huntsman got me once. I'm still mad about that, even though it was years ago lol.

Later, Tom

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Oh snap! why didn't I think of "Night of the Lepus"? I am ashamed, I went for the low-hanging fruit.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
First tarantula acquired in 1973: bite free. There's no good reason for so many people being bitten.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
9 years (I think) & no bites... From spiders or Ts.
I did get a bite from a roach once feeding a pokie tho, so there's that .
I didn't even know roaches COULD bite. Mine end up crawling up my arms during maintenance, didn't even consider it a risk.

20+ years of keeping spiders, never been bit by a tarantula, but a Malaysian Huntsman got me once. I'm still mad about that, even though it was years ago lol.
That's me -- I have to specify never bitten by a tarantula -- a black widow got me a few years ago -- but it wasn't a pet -- I just accidentally disturbed her not knowing she was there. Got pretty sick too from it, missed some work over it.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So far never got bit, a few close calls (as I think is just normal over time, there's only so much you can do and sometimes you still get surprised) but that's that.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So far never got bit, a few close calls (as I think is just normal over time, there's only so much you can do and sometimes you still get surprised) but that's that.

There always will be an unfortunate few that get bit. Just like a few will get hit by lightning. But the vast majority of bites are avoidable, as many are handling related.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
November will be two years for me... haven't been bitten.... yet. I used to handle until I learned that a fang bearing P. Irminia is not something you want on your hands.. now I'm completely anti-handling and I try to never get complacent or let my guard down around my spiders.

And I now aim to remain bite free.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
My first T was in 1977-78, still bite free. Back then I used to handle my B. smithi 1-2 times a year.
Now unless they are inquisitive wanderers, I'm talking to you Euathlus sp, I don't handle.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
My first T was in 1977-78, still bite free. Back then I used to handle my B. smithi 1-2 times a year.
Now unless they are inquisitive wanderers, I'm talking to you Euathlus sp, I don't handle.
*is loving how many antihandlers are like i dont "handle" however my Euathus wont stay in its bleepin cage*

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
*is loving how many antihandlers are like i dont "handle" however my Euathus wont stay in its bleepin cage*
Well does a tarantula running up your arm when doing maintenance count as handling? As long as it's not deliberate, then I don't see any issue.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

cold blood

Staff member
Well does a tarantula running up your arm when doing maintenance count as handling? As long as it's not deliberate, then I don't see any issue.
Unintended handling is more like playing defense than actually handling IMO.

gobey

Arachnoknight
No bites so far. I'm 16 months or so into having Ts.

I have paintbrushes, tongs, long tongs, lots of different sides catch cups.

I try to manipulate them when packing, unpacking, housing, rehousing. I keep my hands as far away as possible.

I've had some mistakes. Definitely avoidable ones. And I've caught a few LP hairs,

But no bites. Part of that is being careful. Most of it I like to think. But part is luck as when I first got my G. porteri I handled her a few times. And she's quite grumpy. Quick to think everything is food.

My worry is one day I'll have a baboon or pokie run up the tongs, I always wait until they're tucked away and hiding before any interaction.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unintended handling is more like playing defense than actually handling IMO.
I'm not sure I understand. I once had an A.versicolor sling try to make a run for it by bolting up my arm when I opened the container to feed it. Is that somehow just as bad as deliberately handling the tarantula?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In the hobby around 8 yrs, took a sabbatical for a couple years though. No bites. I've been bitten by crickets and mealworms though, should that count against me? Crickets are mean
:laugh: