How long is yours?

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was taking some pictures of my centipede, and I figured I'd put ruler in there for reference, not stretched out or anything, fully stretched and walking around seems to add nearly 2 inches to the length compared to that picture. Let's make this thread all centipedes next to rulers.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey isn't that kinda private!... haha. I'm going to have to work on that one. I'm going to need to be a little patient. It's hard for me to come across them relaxed and straight. And my Cherry-Red has just shut itself in for some reason. A big pile of sub where it's hole used to be..hmmm, wonder what it's doing... Probably a molt. That's my guess. I kind of assumed it was a male but...I don't know. Be cool to get some babies. I'll try to get a 'ruler' pick of the big S. h. castaneiceps. Nice looking pede you have there. Looks to be a pretty hefty one because if the ruler wasn't there, I wouldn't think it was that long. I would have thought it was shorter because it looks pretty stocky.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, took it outside to run around a little. Hard to get a good, straight measurement. But as far as I can tell, looks like an average of 9.5 inches.
(S. h. castaneiceps)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
crashergs said:
:-x thats a huge specimen do they get any longer than that?
This is surely the biggest one I've ever seen. I got it from someone that has practically dedicated his life to arachnids. People find them locally and bring them to the store he manages. He sends them to A&M for research. He said people have brought bigger ones in. I've found about 15 in the last two years but they have all been from 1 inch to about 7 inches. This one is a honkin whopper. I think it's pretty old. The soft tissue between the legs is kind of baggy looking. Here's another pic I took of it in a 10 gal.

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is that a castaneiceps?? it looks like a robusta from far away, i didnt know castaneiceps can be so large.

i like his setup, looks like something you would see a museum.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had only heard stories of them getting this big. I believed the stories. I've heard they can get bigger and I believe it...well, of course they can. What are the odds of me having the largest one on earth...Haaaahaha. I mean, how many millions of S. h. castaneiceps are there that nobody has seen out in nature? I just recently heard the old big ones can wash out in a brown color like the one in the pic. Someone told me there is one a foot long in a jar in a museum somewhere in w tx. Some place like Mason or Menard. But,... bet they didn't have a ruler. This one has a hard time catching crickets so I catch large grasshoppers for it and give it a small lizard now and then.

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This one was taken a few months ago, this is my 2nd biggest Scolo, my "Mai Chau" is about .5" longer.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow Galapoheros that picture is impressive! nice pics everyone elso to!

-dan

bodar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well this is a crappy pic i know but under the circumstances, its the best i can do..:wall:

S.Subsnipes mau chau?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool pics! I have one Subspinipes "Malaysia" that I think is about to molt. It's under right now but I can see in from the bottom of the terr. Think it was about 6". I'll try to get a pic later. What is the one by the dollar bill?

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
Cool pics! I have one Subspinipes "Malaysia" that I think is about to molt. It's under right now but I can see in from the bottom of the terr. Think it was about 6". I'll try to get a pic later. What is the one by the dollar bill?
http://www.scolopendromorpha.com/caresheet/haani.htm

Mine and the one with the yellow ruler match the "Mau Chau" one, the one with the dollar bill matches the other "Vietnam" one.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
not a good pic and before molt. This pede is not mine anymore i think it grew almost an inch after molt

doom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
S. subspinipes de haani Vietnam

Here is mine in cm.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
^ that's a deadly picture, very nice....

too bad it's not twenty inches..... :D ;)