How long do you Quarantine new tarantulas?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The title says it all. When you get a new tarantula, how long do you keep it under Quarantine before you put it with the rest of your collection?

VinceG

Arachnobaron
I don't either, if they have mites, I spot them quite quickly.

And for your information, a quarantine lasts 40 days.

babypiggy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i dont either...
unless i notice something after a very close inspection

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Quarantining tarantulas would really only be worthwhile if you had a communal tarantula going in with other communal tarantulas....

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do we have a fish/reptile keeper here :)

Honestly, I've seen parasites on WC imports but have never seen them move, even around small, over stocked bug rooms in some, er, less reputable reptile retailers. Can't say the same for reptile/aquatic parasites.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Quarantining tarantulas would really only be worthwhile if you had a communal tarantula going in with other communal tarantulas....
Or if you happen to buy a WC spider infected with Nematodes that ends up spreading thru your collection and killing them all off :eek:

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Or if you happen to buy a WC spider infected with Nematodes that ends up spreading thru your collection and killing them all off :eek:
The chance of nematodes spreading from one WC tarantula to other tarantulas seems unlikely. The more likely occurrence would be nematodes in substrate you used in multiple enclosures or in your feeders.

Added by edit:

Though I suppose if you reused enclosures without cleaning them, or had an infestation of phorid flies you might could argue that it could spread through your collection.

Last edited: