How is a "European yellow jacket" different from a yellow jacket?

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Although there is a species of yellowjacket in the US known as the "German Yellowjacket" (Vespula germanica), it may be that they used the term "yellowjacket" incorrectly and it was actually the "European Hornet" (Vespa crabro), which is considered to be very defensive (not to mention large - about 1 1/2" with a 3/16" stinger). The article mentions an underground nest, which is one way the true hornet nests (as do some yellowjackets, but not the "German").

Last edited:

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
Aren't these also known as simply yellow jackets? Are European ones different from the yellow jackets found anywhere and everywhere?
The European Yellow-Jackets are most easily identifiable by their goofy accents. {D {D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most unlike the canadian accent.
Here we have yellow jackets (can someone please post a pic of the european version?) and hornets which are larger, way more nasty, and black and white.

I have been stung by a hornet, which flew up my shirt. Too bad I didn't notice until 5 minutes later... anyway, was the first and only time I have been stung by any variety... and it hurt. AND did not help my phobia in the least. I had a softball sized lump on my rib cage, it ached for days! I was going to get tested for an allergy to the venom but the waiting list was so long, I decided not to bother.

My son was stung by a yellowjacket last Friday at daycare, middle finger was very swollen for a day, but I was really wondering if his behaviour wasn't affected because he was a bloody nightmare the entire weekend!

We have a ton of yellow jackets at this time of year. At least a dozen or so inside every 7-11, tons by everyone's car scavenging on dead insects on the grill, and generally making life unpleasent.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The yellowjackets in the article are either the common wasp/yellowjacket (Vespula vulgaris ) introduced from europe or the German YJ (Vespula germanica ) They have slight pattern differences on their abdomens from each other and our native yellowjackets (which we have many). The black and white "hornets" Sheri is referring to are the native Dolichovespula maculata or the "bald faced hornet" They are actually a species of aerial yellowjacket, true hornets are from the old world and belong to the genus Vespa one species Vespa crabro was introduced to North America. They are very large insects, but do not nest underground, they nest in tree cavities or artificial man made cavities.

David Plankton

Arachnopeon
Mr. Rourke said:
The European Yellow-Jackets are most easily identifiable by their goofy accents. {D {D
Err? they all sound the same to me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

The German ones go vvvvvvzzzzzz

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
jezzy607 said:
true hornets are from the old world and belong to the genus Vespa one species Vespa crabro was introduced to North America. They are very large insects, but do not nest underground, they nest in tree cavities or artificial man made cavities.
Actually, Vail & Skinner at The University of Tennessee/Agricultural Extension Service wrote that Vespa crabro "subterranean nests may be found", but that they also construct carton nests "in hollow trees, roofs, attics, wall cavities, bee hives..." Maybe they just like it underground here in Music City. I know I do.

(Click here to download paper).

I have some photos I recently took of a European hornet that I will post as soon as I locate them...

Last edited:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, do I get this right, that there are no true native North American yellow jackets? Yellow jackets and European yellow jackets are the same thing. However, this could be either the Vespula vulgaris or the Vespula germanica, depending on the exact type of yellow jacket you are looking at. And both of these nest underground?

This brings me to other questions. We have yellow jackets (nests) on our property. Would it be possible for us, in California (coastal), to have both types of yellow jacket? Do they tolerate each other if there isn't a direct nest intrusion? Short of listening closely to their accents, ("run a-vay or I steeng you") is there any easy way of telling the difference? Or would I have to catch one (gulp!) and examine the patterns?

Added: Thanks for the link. I am printing page 6 and 7 now, with drawings of patterns, or other defining features.

Now, I still want to know what we have in California, but after seeing that link, I suppose I will find out that there are far more types of yellow jackets here than I ever really wanted to face!

Thank you for the great answers!

Last edited:

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
So, do I get this right, that there are no true native North American yellow jackets?
No. There are both native yellowjackets and introduced yellowjackets in the US, but there is no native true hornet, just the introduced Vespa crabro. Although they are closely related, wasps, yellowjackets, and hornets are distinctly different insects.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
Would it be possible for us, in California (coastal), to have both types of yellow jacket?
To download information on California yellowjackets click here

Last edited:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
(Sheri, don't look at the link! It doesn't make me feel any more secure! Run a-vay!)

Thanks, Michael. I will be looking forward to the pic of the European hornet. I feel another book in my future somehow....Ask some questions, get hooked on a new area to research! I MUST know how hornets are different...argh! Hooked again!

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
I can't get through to the Cal YJ link...Have tried 4 or 5 x now.
The link in my post was broken - it was the same as the one you posted. MJ

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
all i know is that in germany we had wasps (wespen) and i guess they are called yellow jackets here, they are black and yellow and can sting multiple times...and we had some bigger ones (some ppl called them neun-toeter - as in nine-killer - as in nine stings can kill you) guess those are the hornets, but i'm not to sure about getting killed by nine stings...only got stung one time by a wasp in germany.
dianne
i was living in unterfranken (lower franconia) .

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, Vespa crabro does nest underground, but it is the exception not the rule. It is believed that the few(very few) Vespa crabro nests found underground were made in preexisting large cavities. Also, until recently, all Vespula germanica colonies found in North America were made in man made structures, like wall voids, crawl spaces, attics, etc. It is still assumed that most Vespula germanica colonies exist in man made structures. Vespula vulgaris on the other hand is frequently found nesting in the ground. I have a lot of good scientific literature on the Vespid wasps, all of which are at my office. I can give you all the names of these sources tommorrow, if anyone is interested, or I can answer questions using the literature.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As a side note, We(all of us entomology grad students) had quite a laugh today when we saw the headline that included "European yellowjacket". Although insects do not technically have official common names like birds do, some insects do have widely used common names. None of the yellowjackets are called "European yellowjackets". Like I mentioned previously, the two species of yellowjacket introduced here from Europe have the common names "common yellowjacket" and "German yellowjacket".

Also, if there was a Vespa crabro nest beneath your ladder, you would know it way before you put the latter next to it. I've been close to a nest of these insects before, and it was like a colony of hummingbirds, you could hear and see them very well (they are quite loud and very large!).

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
So, do I get this right, that there are no true native North American yellow jackets? Yellow jackets and European yellow jackets are the same thing. However, this could be either the Vespula vulgaris or the Vespula germanica, depending on the exact type of yellow jacket you are looking at. And both of these nest underground?

This brings me to other questions. We have yellow jackets (nests) on our property. Would it be possible for us, in California (coastal), to have both types of yellow jacket? Do they tolerate each other if there isn't a direct nest intrusion? Short of listening closely to their accents, ("run a-vay or I steeng you") is there any easy way of telling the difference? Or would I have to catch one (gulp!) and examine the patterns?

Added: Thanks for the link. I am printing page 6 and 7 now, with drawings of patterns, or other defining features.

Now, I still want to know what we have in California, but after seeing that link, I suppose I will find out that there are far more types of yellow jackets here than I ever really wanted to face!

Thank you for the great answers!
Don't be scared to cathc them its quiet easy get a jar, approch nest slowly, place jar around nest and slide it til lthe nest breaks and falls off.. now for the quick part, move hte lid right up to the rim of the jar [this is if you have hte jar pressed agenst a flat surface.. if surface is bumpy enough for them to escape you in for some angery stingers] anyway place jjar lid up to flat surraface nand quickly move the jar away from the flat surface and cap it with the lid.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
jezzy607 said:
Although insects do not technically have official common names like birds do, some insects do have widely used common names. None of the yellowjackets are called "European yellowjackets".
Dosn't the AES publish an "official" common names list?

Wade

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes ESA does publish an "official" common names list, but not everyone agrees with its "official" status.