How hard should i have my Asian Forest Laos substrate packed?

Aiden Cross

Arachnopeon
So, this is my first scorpion ever owned, well first critter ever owned really. I just made its enclosure for its 3rd maybe 4th moult, i didn't make the first few my brother did but i'd like to be more independent now.

I know a fair bit about the care and im well aware that these species like to burrow. Either way, i'm using topsoil as a substrate, as its had since its birth from my brothers, and ive packed about 3 inches of topsoil to its full potential. Its to the density that i cant even push my finger through about 2 cm of it.

I'd appreciate any advice on housing and caring here- i'd just like to know if packing it to its full compression is the right thing to do to prevent collapsing.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So, this is my first scorpion ever owned, well first critter ever owned really. I just made its enclosure for its 3rd maybe 4th moult, i didn't make the first few my brother did but i'd like to be more independent now.

I know a fair bit about the care and im well aware that these species like to burrow. Either way, i'm using topsoil as a substrate, as its had since its birth from my brothers, and ive packed about 3 inches of topsoil to its full potential. Its to the density that i cant even push my finger through about 2 cm of it.

I'd appreciate any advice on housing and caring here- i'd just like to know if packing it to its full compression is the right thing to do to prevent collapsing.
Give it several inches of firm, but not too tightly packed, substrate. Give it a hide and it will burrow down from there.