How do you measure a tarantula?

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I know it seems like a silly question, but are they measured as if they are standing normally, or if they were dead and mounted on a wall? :?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Stretched/flattened, from the tip of L1 on one side to the tip of L4 on the other. Diagonal Leg Span, or DLS.

Hard to do with a live spider, usually done on molts.

Marga

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i use a roll of tape measure thats used for sewing....and i dont understand the diagonal measuring, cause if you measure from say the left side front tip to the same side rear tip, it measures the same as diagonally....

FelixHartmann

Arachnopeon
I'm quite new to having tarantulas (had mine for less then a month), but I've had this idea I've just yet to do it on my tarantula. Take a picture of your spider next to a ruler (they don't have to be on top of each other just in the frame) and then using photoshop just layer via copy the ruler and move it over the spider, that way you don't have to fuss with you spider or anything and you can even take you time and get really precise measurements. Just a little idea I had the other day :)

GoodSmeagol

Arachnopeon
I'm quite new to having tarantulas (had mine for less then a month), but I've had this idea I've just yet to do it on my tarantula. Take a picture of your spider next to a ruler (they don't have to be on top of each other just in the frame) and then using photoshop just layer via copy the ruler and move it over the spider, that way you don't have to fuss with you spider or anything and you can even take you time and get really precise measurements. Just a little idea I had the other day :)
I do this on my tortoises for size comparisons, works great!

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
Personally I prefer to measure my Ts while they are in a fairly "relaxed" position(without them completely stretched out).
I do still measure via DLS.
I feel it's a more honest measurement than the later.
I just feel its an exageration when I see someone hover a ruler over a specimen in a relaxed stance that reads out to barely 5'' and then that someone proceeds to claim its pushing 8''.
Kind of reminds me when people only go half-way up during pull-ups. lol

just me

Peace

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I find a ruler anywhere but exactly next to the T is unreliable. I can guess at DLS, but it's not accurate unless the legs are stretched along the measuring surface. DLS is the accepted measuring, also, that you will find discussed.

For instance, Mae West is nearly 7" DLS... and it does not show with this shot.

Marga

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I prefer measuring the body length - it's much more consistant than seeing how far you can stretch your spider's legs. This is a more common approach in Europe and in scientific literature.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
For DLS measure at rest pose. although like Bill S said people like to add a few notches on the ruler to make themselves feel better :rolleyes: in which case I have a 29" Cyclosternum fasciatum :wall: Now I'm double lying....

Amoeba

Arachnolord
:eek: Look at the carapace moose thats gotta be more than 5" wide :wall: don't you know how to measure properly :rolleyes:

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
1. Select two points on a spider
2. Measure the distance between the two points in a straight line
3. Use the measurement and mention the locations of the two points.

DO NOT use estimates of how the measurements might be in different conditions, for example in parallel dimensions or on steroids, unless you had those conditions while taking the measurement.

Also, would be good if the measurement was done between two fixed points on the spider instead of points that change distance every hour or so. Body length rather than legspan.

And "the contents of the package may have been compressed during transportation" is not an excuse if the spider you sold does not match the measurements you had in the sales ad.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
1. Select two points on a spider
2. Measure the distance between the two points in a straight line
3. Use the measurement and mention the locations of the two points.

DO NOT use estimates of how the measurements might be in different conditions, for example in parallel dimensions or on steroids, unless you had those conditions while taking the measurement.

Also, would be good if the measurement was done between two fixed points on the spider instead of points that change distance every hour or so. Body length rather than legspan.

And "the contents of the package may have been compressed during transportation" is not an excuse if the spider you sold does not match the measurements you had in the sales ad.
The most accurate and consistent method of measurement is to measure the femur, as this seems to remain fairly uniform. But, people just don't seem to impressed by, "My T blondi is 1 inch!"

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i still think that the best way to measure is using a molt, spreading the legs completly forward and backwards, then measuring the longest tips....because if the tarantula is measured in a sitting position than thats not correct, because as far as you can stretch their legs, they can also do that themselves, so i think its the most accurate...

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
Stretched/flattened, from the tip of L1 on one side to the tip of L4 on the other. Diagonal Leg Span, or DLS.

Hard to do with a live spider, usually done on molts.

Marga
I always thought it was from the tip of L1 to the tip of R4. :?