how do you know when to separate spiderlings?

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just opened my first eggsac and transfered all the slings to a rearing container and would like to know at what time should i start separating them into their own containers. they are moving at this point, but very slowly. they are all white and moving around very slowly.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even when able to feed, spiderlings usually live in peace for a while after, but I think it varies with the species. I've seen some spiderlings eat one another right after molting into 2nd instar, while I've had others live in peace for another 2-3 months.

The sooner you seperate them once they've molted into 2nd instar the better.

Later,

Jake

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
armstrong82 said:
so what do second instars look like??
It depends on the kind of spider it is. instar means molt. so the second instar will be the second molt.

I think

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Instar is the period between molts. I would separate them as soon as they are mobile. You want to do it while they are slow moving first instars IMO. During the second instar they are pretty fast and it might be quite a chore. Start feeding them when they reach second instar. My OBTs have molted again, 3rd instar, And they are starting to show some color. This is a great hobby/addiction!!