how do you keep track?

How do you keep track of your spiders?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mrderanged, your invert database is awesome! I'm gonna use it from now on. Thanks!

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heartfang said:
mrderanged, your invert database is awesome! I'm gonna use it from now on. Thanks!
Yes, I downloaded it also, and it looks to be a pretty nice little database there. I was about to (within the next week or so) sit down and work out a whole MS Access database from the ground up, but I'll be using this one instead. I may make a few minor changes (assuming it's not locked down) but overall - it looks very nice. I input all of the info on all five of my babies as of today, and it looks like a pretty decent database. I've always liked MS Access, although sometimes working out what exactly you want in which table can be a bit tedious.

Thanks very much!

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What kinda things are you looking to change? It seems perfect to me... unless I'm missing something?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heartfang said:
What kinda things are you looking to change? It seems perfect to me... unless I'm missing something?
I think I would provide a link between the common name and the scientific name. So, when entering a new species type, you could enter both pieces of information.

I would also add a field for the hatch date for a specimen record. It would be helpful to include breeding information.

I will have to play with it some more to see if there are any other things I can think of.

firben

Arachnopeon
Windchaser said:
I think I would provide a link between the common name and the scientific name. So, when entering a new species type, you could enter both pieces of information.

I would also add a field for the hatch date for a specimen record. It would be helpful to include breeding information.

I will have to play with it some more to see if there are any other things I can think of.
i am working at a database right now where i also want to keep track of humidity and temperature.. but i guess it is easier to work on this one instead.. looks great!!!

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So there was some stuff that I missed... will you guys be able to post your versions when they are finished??

Brian F.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep track of molting, feeding, mating, etc. on 3X5 index cards. Each t. has its own card, which I keep in a plastic recipe card box, in alphabetical order by scientific name. I've thought about using some sort of spreadsheet, but I guess I'm just old school and can't get away from paper and pen. It's worked well for me thus far...

Catherine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I do it two ways.
I have a note book with a page for each spider i have to record every date it molts and any interesting behavoiur.
I also have a four sheet excel spreadsheet.
The first with a listing for all the spiders i currently have. Giving their latin and common names. their sex (if known) stage of development, their last moult, what date i got them, when they were bred and who bred them. Also have a column for general notes.
The second is one for all the spiders i have lost,(thankfully not a lot of information on this one!!) Same information as above, but with a "cause of death" column. Just so I can learn from mistakes i may make along the way.
The third is a mating one. Same again, but with a description of the mating act, whether it was successful, what happened and how many slings were produced, how long she was gravid etc etc.
The fourth is a big list of every spider i have ever owned.

I only set it up about four months ago but It's getting filled in all the time. its well worth doing as i am learning from what worked and what didn't in the past.

You might not want something that in depth, but its really working for me, but I've got 50 to keep track of!!

firben

Arachnopeon
after working a bit with the database from Heartfang, i am impressed... could turn out to be a very usefull tool.. reaelly look forward to some interesting reports... :)
Does anyone know how to make graphs (diagrams) in acces??

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I save their molts, but not the dates of their molt. I arrange vials into rows of slings that have eaten, and those that have refused food. Ther than that, its all memory. Record keeping would take some of the fun out of it for me...its a casual hobby for me.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nothing special, nothing fancy, but it works for me.

Basic Microsoft Word doc. I have had one of these set up for my two "T's' since arrival as slings. It gives me a simple, accurate record of the amount of items eaten, moult dates without consuming to much time.

Works for me, but I would think it could get very time consuming with a collection like some the members here. I am unclear as to whether I will continue as they mature, it was mostly set up to keep a record of my growing slings.

Last edited:

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep a few records. Molt dates, spider size and other various dates. I use excel for my spreadsheet.

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Umm... Firben, the database was from mrderanged, not me. But I wish I could make something like that... ;)

firben

Arachnopeon
Heartfang said:
Umm... Firben, the database was from mrderanged, not me. But I wish I could make something like that... ;)
hmm. ok... sorry .. a missunderstandign there....

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I write my tracks in a book, because I don't want to turn on my comp everytime somthing that needs to be tracked happens. But since I work as a IT developer, an application like that would be a cake for me. Might be an interesting project for community... :rolleyes:
If you write down some specifications (what shoud it do, keep track of, work like ... ) I might consider making it.

Sasa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hubby made a software for me. :worship:

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I track every individual spider that passes through my facility with an ID number. This applies to those that I breed, sell and maintain in my private collection. The number is six digits and the first two digits tell me who my source for the spider was.

I use a database program - I'm a Mac guy so I just use the simple database environment of AppleWorks 6.0, but have used FileMakerPro.

The fields are:
  • ID number
  • Genus
  • Species
  • Vernacular (Common Name)
  • Date In
  • Date Out
  • Recipient (Buyer)
  • Cost
  • Sale
  • Net
  • checkbox (for IN possession or not)
  • checkbox (for IN private collection or not)
  • Sex
  • Size & Molt Records
  • Comments
The nice thing about using a database over a spreadsheet is that you can easily sort by field or prioritized fields. Most often I have it sorted: ID, Genus, Species and I also often sort by just scientific name [Genus, Species]. However, if I want to sort by customer it's nice to sort by Recipient.

Cheers, Michael

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I don't keep track as my collection is not sufficiently large as to necessitate tracking which species is which.

I am however tracking notes about my recently bred G. rosea female (documenting when mating occured (and with which male) and feeding amounts and times).

Mori