how do you do the whole dead mouse feeding thing (for BP)

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so, I've had alot of people suggest feeding pre killed mice, but no one has said how to do the nasty.

I searched the forum, and google.

do I just take them by the tail and WHAM against a hard surface? or to I put them in a bag and blow in it ( to suffocate it)?

also, does the mouse still have to be warm?

anything else I should know?

thanks.

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could use Frozen/thawed. You can buy a few and keep them in the freezer and when its time you just run one under hot water for a bit and once its thawed feed it. No messes or prekilling.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Another alternative is that you go to your nearest pet shop and buy 100 mice in a relatively small plastic bag. The bag and it's content are by that time normally a tad cold. ;)

Defrosting - put mouse in plastic bag. Put bag into warm water. Exchange water every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours ('till the mouse feels squishy).

Yet another alternative is to put the mouse in a little box like thingie and put it in the freezer for 6 hours. But I don't know if that is so Mousane (Humane).

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Yet another alternative is to put the mouse in a little box like thingie and put it in the freezer for 6 hours. But I don't know if that is so Mousane (Humane).
I used to do it this way, but it's got disadvantages to the human and the mouse. The extremeties freeze much faster than the rest of the animal, which makes it a painful way to die. I switched methods on this basis alone. Another potential problem occurs when freezing multiple animals. The conservation of body heat extends the amount of time required, which makes the first problem worse and can allow enough activity for them to escape if you aren't careful (obviously, I wasn't on one occasion, and the result was four white mice that were never seen again).

You can kill them by whacking them on something, but I don't particularly like the method. The ideal way to do it, barring lethal injection, is to gas them with carbon dioxide. I use a bike tire inflator, since I don't have to euthanize many animals. Dry ice could work too. Just make sure that the mice can only occupy the lowest levels of whatever you put them in (since the CO2 will sink) and limit the air volume of the container. I use ziploc freezer bags.

As already pointed out, it's probably a lot easier to just buy them frozen. Also, they don't really have to be warm for most snakes to accept them. Just make sure they're room temperature or so and completely thawed, and not too hot.

Steve

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
put a screwdriver behind the head, and pull the tail out and up severing the spine :)

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I housed 4 snakes at one time and the snakes wouldn't take frozen so what I had to do, which wasn't all that bad cause I've been told I'm cruel and heartless (ex's lol), just whack em and get it over with. Warning though it takes a feel for doing it right, too soft and it'll try and run up its own body and bite ya, too hard and you got a mess.

Sorry to all who have softer stomachs or don't condone killing feeder animals.

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ilovebugs said:
so, I've had alot of people suggest feeding pre killed mice, but no one has said how to do the nasty.
do I just take them by the tail and WHAM against a hard surface? or to I put them in a bag and blow in it ( to suffocate it)?
also, does the mouse still have to be warm?
anything else I should know?
thanks.
You don't mention how large your BP is, but rats are a better feeder than mice because as your BP reaches adult size, they'll take large rats. And according to some nutritional stuff I saw, boas and BP are better off on rats.
1. I have had good success switching live rodent eaters to frozen/thawed eaters. It takes some patience, but can be done.
2. I killed live rats just like you mentioned above. I grabbed them by the tail close to their rump, then quickly swung them against the hard edge of my work bench. I dangled the still warm rat by the tail in front of my snakes and they strike and eat. I don't like doing it, so I was eager to switch.
3. I feed strickly frozen/thawed now. I buy from rodentpro.com. I didn't like the warm water technique so I searched for something different. I bring the frozen rat to room temperature then place it on a heat pad. I use a small under tank heater (UTH) as a hot plate. I lay the rodent on its side on the heater then flip it every 10 minutes or so until its warm. The rodent stays dry and all my snakes strike at the warm body.
4. Please don't place live rodents in the freezer to kill them. They don't just "go to sleep". They start to freeze at the extremities (nose, toes, feet pads), and I believe it is painful. It is cruel.

There are quite a few snake/reptile forums out there that can give good advice on switching from live. Here's a few:

http://www.bobclark.com/bcforums/default.asp
http://www.alexhuereptiles.com/
http://redtailboa.net/forums/index.php?
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php?s=

Hope this helps, John

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The way I see it if you are going to buy live feeders you might as well feed them live. But if you don't agree with that I would try the frozen ones. My snakes seemed to take them just fine. I just kinda wiggle it in front of them with some tongs.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use frozen feeders, just pop them in some cold water and let them stand for a bit - an hours fine for small rats - once they are thawed pop them in some warm/hot water for a minute to bring the food items temp up, you can get away without doing the hot water thing for some snakes but I find my Royal can be a little reluctant to take room temp food (I guess she has those heat sensing pits for a reason ;))

If you want to kill live feeders do as WhyTeDraGon said, place a screwdriver, pencil or similar across the back of the animals neck pinning it down then yank the animals body back sharply, you will sever the spine from the skull causing massive spinal shock which will kill the animal almost instantly.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Freezing a live endotherm such as a rodent is extremely cruel and inhumane. Even if it just a feeder mouse/rat, thats still not acceptable.

Go with frozen/thawed...its cheaper, you can buy it in bulk and dead prey can't harm your snake.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
My 8 slithers all readily take frozen/thawed rats. Buying frozen is usually cheaper than going to the pet store and buying them live, plus it's a lot more convenient for most of us.
I just thaw them in some warm (not hot!) water for an hour or so, then place the rat on the warm side of the enclosure and close the lid. Pretty soon I have 8 heads emerging from hiding spots and striking at their meals.

10 years or so ago, when I had my Ball, she would only take freshly killed. I used Crystal's screwdriver method back then (but with a ruler instead).

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ilovebugs said:

do I just take them by the tail and WHAM against a hard surface? or to I put them in a bag and blow in it ( to suffocate it)? #1

also, does the mouse still have to be warm?#2

anything else I should know?#3

thanks.
Agreeing with the masses here (shock and wonder)... buy frozen thawed. I use bigcheeserodents.com They offer smaller quantities that some of the other suppliers which I like and are willing to customize orders. My feeders have always arrived in great condition.
#2Room temperature is acceptable, however many snakes will only take them if they are near what would be their 'natural temps'. I rotisserie mine under a heat lamp.
#3Congrats on going to frozen... it's safer for your snake and reduces the risk of nasty things like parasites:) I also recommend using a seperate feeding box to eliminate the chances of your snake relating your hand entering the cage with a reason to strike (assuming you are using tongs vs the 'leave it in the tank' method :) )

Last edited:

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I give my python and boa live mice/rats, but someone I know who uses frozen mice does this:

He thaws them (inside a plastic bag) in warm water, I think, and when he feeds it he dangles it by the tail and his boa grabs the mouse and begins swallowing, it doesn't constrict. Not sure if this will work for you as it took him some time to train the snake to eat like this.

Thawed mice smell and I prefer feeding live, regardless of all the critics, and I can't bring myself to wack something in the skull that is so tiny... go figure. Granted, giving the mouse/rat a wack in the skull might save the snake from a scratch but I have one of those rarely accepted opinions that, at the very least, my snakes should eat live prey and fend for themselves.

Maybe there is someone on here who ius good with inventing things that could create a simple device that breaks the rodents neck in one, swift snap. I guillotine would probably be overdoing it.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have an invention for you: it helps you to get over yourself so you can switch over to feeding f/t. Anybody who insists on feeding live is just in it for their own entertainment. Who cares if the f/t prey item smells? The animal is in your care, and it is your responsibility to see to it that their needs come first. It might not be easy to whack the prey, but the easiest way is not always the best way. And it's not always difficult to switch them over to f/t, in fact, it's actually been very easy for me and many other herpers to do so with the large majority of our snakes. Contrary to what you may think, snakes DO eat quite a bit of dead prey in the wild. They seem to know that it is safer and conserves more energy than actually having to actively hunt and kill live prey. This is not to say they won't eat live prey in the wild, snakes are opportunistic and will eat food wherever they can get it. Anyone who does not believe that snakes will eat f/t has never seen a wild hognose attempt to pry a roadkilled toad in an attempt to eat it. You do know you can buy frozen rodents, store them in your freezer then thaw them as needed? In my opinion as well as many others', that's much more convenient.

Don't make me resort to gory pictures of the results of live feedings. I'm not afraid to use them. :p

Jaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My killing method.

With mice I just smash their heads with a hammer. Got to be careful or you'll have a mess. I found if you let the hammer (16 oz.) fall with a little force it kills them. This also lets them twitch so the snake will strike. Now rats are a bit harder. Their skulls are thicker. I wrap a cord around their necks and choke them to death. I figure it's near to what the snake would do. This also leaves them twitching. Some of us have snakes who had owners who let the mice/rats bite the snake so live isn't going to work. Mine also doesn't like F/T. I wasted allot of money trying to get it to eat them. So killing is a must.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bry said:
I have an invention for you: it helps you to get over yourself so you can switch over to feeding f/t. Anybody who insists on feeding live is just in it for their own entertainment. Who cares if the f/t prey item smells? The animal is in your care, and it is your responsibility to see to it that their needs come first. It might not be easy to whack the prey, but the easiest way is not always the best way. And it's not always difficult to switch them over to f/t, in fact, it's actually been very easy for me and many other herpers to do so with the large majority of our snakes. Contrary to what you may think, snakes DO eat quite a bit of dead prey in the wild. They seem to know that it is safer and conserves more energy than actually having to actively hunt and kill live prey. This is not to say they won't eat live prey in the wild, snakes are opportunistic and will eat food wherever they can get it. Anyone who does not believe that snakes will eat f/t has never seen a wild hognose attempt to pry a roadkilled toad in an attempt to eat it. You do know you can buy frozen rodents, store them in your freezer then thaw them as needed? In my opinion as well as many others', that's much more convenient.

Don't make me resort to gory pictures of the results of live feedings. I'm not afraid to use them. :p
I've seen them, what a threat. Gashes, chunks missing, eyes torn out, not pretty. One reason I don't feed my snakes very large prey compared to their size.

I find it amusing that almost every time I mention feeding my snakes live prey or feeding my large T's mice and lizards someone thinks it's all for personal enjoyment, "don't you know your pet you're supposed to love can get hurt because you want thrills". There's a keen observation, just shy of the super string theory and quantum physics.

We confine these animals to cages and tanks for our personal enjoyment. Some of us maim, cripple and kill their prey and almost no one seems to give 2 craps about that. I know people who own boas and pythons and don't give them hides or things to climb on beacuse they claim it's "overkill" but they feed them dead prey, isn't that nice for the snake. Stuart Little gets a hammer to his skull and life is pretty. Feed the python a live mouse and it's just wrong because it might get hurt. Maybe I'll just get a badger, bash my python in the head with a steel rod, and then feed her to the badger so it doesn't get hurt.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
.......Stuart Little gets a hammer to his skull and life is pretty. Feed the python a live mouse and it's just wrong because it might get hurt. Maybe I'll just get a badger, bash my python in the head with a steel rod, and then feed her to the badger so it doesn't get hurt.
This was good for a much needed laugh. I've had a bad week. Thanks {D {D

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Some of us maim, cripple and kill their prey and almost no one seems to give 2 craps about that. I know people who own boas and pythons and don't give them hides or things to climb on beacuse they claim it's "overkill" but they feed them dead prey, isn't that nice for the snake.
Good god. You're a pro at cramming illogical bs into a short email.

I'm baffled by all the creative, unreliable and gruesome methods for killing rodents that have been suggested here. There are dependably humane and clean ways of doing it that require very little cash or effort. Why don't they use these? Probably for some of the same reasons some people feed live; if you don't want to get your kicks at the expense of your snake, do it at the expense of a bunch of mice. The problem with your logic as it appears above is that the fact that a bunch of brain-dead herp keepers do all sorts of stupid stuff doesn't justify your doing one more. Now, I'm not saying you need to justify what you do to anyone but yourself (and given your buttery grasp of clear thinking I'm sure your justification comes easily), but it might do you some good to have someone point out your crap logic. Even if it doesn't, it gives me some satisfaction. I have to get it somewhere, after all, what with being deprived of the thrilling sounds of terrified mice or the equally satisfying crunch of their hammer-whacked heads.

Steve