How big MM obt?

TheTOwner

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a sexed male obt. He's around 6cm. If you've read my previous posts I said I was going to get an A.genic as a first T but I got an obt instead. Oops :p. Anyway, he's around 6cm and I'm wondering how long till he's a mature male? I also can't find a really accurate measurement for mature male Obts either. For your troubles, I have attatched obt tax. I've been feeding him on decapitated superworms larger than him but he seems to be taking down and eating them fine. Thank you for reading and I graciously await your answer.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
males dont have a size they mature at...some mature small, others mature when they are larger.

quirinus

Arachnoknight
i've got a mm P. murinus, he is about the size of yours, maybe slightly larger. Next molt could be the ultimate.
why did you buy a confirmed male as first t?

TheTOwner

Arachnopeon
i've got a mm P. murinus, he is about the size of yours, maybe slightly larger. Next molt could be the ultimate.
I don't have the time to care for a female that can live upwards of five years because I'm 16 and after 2 years I'll have to move away for Uni and the like so I felt getting a male that's only around for 2 years would be a good choice

quirinus

Arachnoknight
that makes kinda sense.
be aware that mm acts different than female or unmature males. he will rather destroy his old web castle than creating one, he will wander around in search of a female instead of just sitting there lurking for prey.
i never saw threat postures before my mm matured, since that happend i saw like 10. sometimes he "doesn't allow" me to change his water dish.
make sure to be careful.

TheTOwner

Arachnopeon
that makes kinda sense.
be aware that mm acts different than female or unmature males. he will rather destroy his old web castle than creating one, he will wander around in search of a female.
i never saw threat postures before my mm matured, since that happend i saw like 10. sometimes he "doesn't allow" me to change his water dish.
make sure to be careful.
yeah I'll be careful, thanks for the advice and warning :)

On a side note, how much larger do they grow per molt?

KenD

Arachnosquire
Hi, I have a sexed male obt. He's around 6cm. If you've read my previous posts I said I was going to get an A.genic as a first T but I got an obt instead. Oops :p. Anyway, he's around 6cm and I'm wondering how long till he's a mature male? I also can't find a really accurate measurement for mature male Obts either. For your troubles, I have attatched obt tax. I've been feeding him on decapitated superworms larger than him but he seems to be taking down and eating them fine. Thank you for reading and I graciously await your answer.
Mine matured only slightly larger than that, in about 9 months. Been matured for almost a year now and still has a healthy appetite.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
My OBT male matured at a larger size at around 11.5cm DLS. He's over a year mature, has stopped eating/ drinking but is surprisingly feisty.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Gotcha. What do you actually do in that situation? Just let it walk around until he dies?
I check on him each day and make sure that he's doing OK. He hides almost all the time now. I always give him access to fresh water and monitor his responsiveness and the size of his abdomen. So far he's still very responsive and his abdomen doesn't look shriveled or anything. He's old, but I don't think he's in discomfort or anything at this point (it's uncertain whether tarantulas feel pain, but I err on the side of caution). If he really starts looking sick, dehydrated, and isn't responding much anymore, then I'll probably euthanize him so that there isn't the possibility of him suffering or being uncomfortable. I work at a vet clinic so I'd probably do it there. There's an article I read in a veterinary journal that recommends using anesthetic gas as the most humane method for euthanizing inverts, since there's still a lot we're learning about how they perceive pain/ discomfort, etc. He's been an awesome little dude, so I don't mind going the extra mile to make sure he's comfortable.

TheTOwner

Arachnopeon
I check on him each day and make sure that he's doing OK. He hides almost all the time now. I always give him access to fresh water and monitor his responsiveness and the size of his abdomen. So far he's still very responsive and his abdomen doesn't look shriveled or anything. He's old, but I don't think he's in discomfort or anything at this point (it's uncertain whether tarantulas feel pain, but I err on the side of caution). If he really starts looking sick, dehydrated, and isn't responding much anymore, then I'll probably euthanize him so that there isn't the possibility of him suffering or being uncomfortable. I work at a vet clinic so I'd probably do it there. There's an article I read in a veterinary journal that recommends using anesthetic gas as the most humane method for euthanizing inverts, since there's still a lot we're learning about how they perceive pain/ discomfort, etc. He's been an awesome little dude, so I don't mind going the extra mile to make sure he's comfortable.
I see. My obt is pretty small now and only 2.5 inches. He's spending his days in a burrow but he's not even in premolt so I think he's just being weird.