how big do they get?

Grako

Arachnopeon
Not to call you a liar or anything but that picture makes her look just over 5 inches. Rear leg is on the 6 inch mark and front leg is on the 1 inch mark from what it looks like to me. Could be a deceiving angle though. Either way she's a beauty!

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that was taken before she moulted two weeks ago.i got her last sept. she moulted in feb. then agine two weeks ago.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
It is nearly 5 inches, the measure matts are great for documenting size.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
General knowledge says that they seldom exceed 5". However you never really know what you have with "A. avic" It could be part A metallica, part A bruanhauseni (both larger spp) or part some other practically identical yet distinct species that is undescribed. Maybe it's not A avicularia even in part.

People have said it before, I'll repeat it now. The Avicularia genus is a mess. You have naturally occurring hybrids that are WC, accidental CB hybrids due to misidentification. Misidentified WC purchases and so on and so forth. So many of them look so similar it's tough to know for sure both when you buy or when you breed what you have with 100% certainty.

Nice T you have there though. Just enjoy it's largeness and don't sweat it.

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was going to breed her but i don't know with what. i was going to send off the last moult but it got destroyed.:wall:

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
i was going to breed her but i don't know with what. i was going to send off the last moult but it got destroyed.:wall:
Find another pretty Avic and breed them. LOL, IMO if they would breed in the wild what does it hurt. maybe they are such a "mess" cause they are all the same? just slightly different variations. If they can breed AND produce viable young aren't they the same. It would be like saying black people and white people ought not breed cause then you wouldn't have black and white. To me it is the same logic. I get some of the controversy with "hybridizing" but honestly is it really hybridization with Avicularia?

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Find another pretty Avic and breed them. LOL, IMO if they would breed in the wild what does it hurt. maybe they are such a "mess" cause they are all the same? just slightly different variations. If they can breed AND produce viable young aren't they the same. It would be like saying black people and white people ought not breed cause then you wouldn't have black and white. To me it is the same logic. I get some of the controversy with "hybridizing" but honestly is it really hybridization with Avicularia?
Black and white people are both Homo sapiens, but Avicularia avicularia and Avicularia versicolor are different species, just the same genus. Modern humans are unique since we are the only living species in our genus and family. So humans can't hybridize, but Avicularia can.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Black and white people are both Homo sapiens, but Avicularia avicularia and Avicularia versicolor are different species [/I]can.
Are they? or is that just what us Unique Homosapiens have labeled them?

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally Posted by Travis K View Post
Find another pretty Avic and breed them. LOL, IMO if they would breed in the wild what does it hurt. maybe they are such a "mess" cause they are all the same? just slightly different variations. If they can breed AND produce viable young aren't they the same. It would be like saying black people and white people ought not breed cause then you wouldn't have black and white. To me it is the same logic. I get some of the controversy with "hybridizing" but honestly is it really hybridization with Avicularia? well i don't know if you heard of a little thing called bigfoot but it is believed that some of the woman around here have interbred with one!;P

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Black and white people are both Homo sapiens, but Avicularia avicularia and Avicularia versicolor are different species, just the same genus. Modern humans are unique since we are the only living species in our genus and family. So humans can't hybridize, but Avicularia can.
just genus; orangutans, gorillas, and chimps are in the same family as we are