Housing question

Catch Smiley

Arachnosquire
About two weeks ago I bought a Chaco Golden Knee sling. I am new to tarantulas and have a question about it's housing. The pet shop that I bought it from said to keep it in the container that it came with until it molts one or two more times. Everything I've read on here says to not listen to anything pet store workers have to say. I'm posting a picture of the tarantula in it's container with this post, I would love some input on how long I should keep it in it's current home.

thanks,
-Scott

Attachments

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
More of an arboreal sling setup, but its still fine as it has sufficient substrate. One thing I can't see any ventilation... Is there any? If not just melt some into the lid and you're good to go.

Catch Smiley

Arachnosquire
There are four small airholes in the top and two on the side. But it's ok in there until it's next molt or two like the pet store worker said?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Yea it will be fine, if you want you could pre-empt the molt and get it into a more terrestrial setup so you can witness its bulldozing and tunnelling which is always fun to watch. Which will also leave the container pictured free for a new arboreal sling :eek:

Catch Smiley

Arachnosquire
What size container would you recommend? I have a small Kritter Keeper, maybe 2 1/2 gal. Is that small enough?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
What size container would you recommend? I have a small Kritter Keeper, maybe 2 1/2 gal. Is that small enough?
How big is that T (judging by the guidelines on the paper and the camera angle I'm guessing 1.5")? KK have holes in the lid area that are deceiving I personally wouldn't put anything under 2 1/2" in a KK a simple container will do (Tupperware, deli container, condiment container etc) aslong as it isn't to excessive in size it will be suitable.

I have a few sling setups on my photobucket but can't link them to show you as I'm on mobile but if you want to look just ask and I can link you to my page.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Usually you should not listen to local pet store people, but that info is fine to listen to. What you have is perfectly fine, tho as Jay said it is more arboreal-ish. It would not hurt for the T to stay in that one for a couple more molts, depending on grothe rate. G. pulchripes are slow growers, so it shouldn't be a problem. DO NOT use the Kritter keeper. A sling with squeeze right through those holes. You will be very lucky if you find it.

Welcome to the hobby.

Ivan T

Arachnopeon
2 1/2 gallons is overkill for a chaco sling in my opinion... I currently have my chaco sling in a 4 inch container from the container store. There happens to be one where I live so I always find myself enclosure shopping.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You really only need an enclosure 3 times it's leg span long and two times leg span wide, but there's nothing wrong with having a larger one. I personally would move it to a terrestrial setup, but it's not necessary, up to you =)

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Its not bad for now, but I agree with SuzukiSwift, I would move it to a terrestrial setup as it would be better and more suitable for the T, you could definitely put an Avicularia sling/juvie into it.

Scar

Arachnosquire
I use these for terrestrial setups and they work great. Looks like the t has burrowed down and move the sub up, pretty usual stuff. If you want you could just pack it back down and see what happens.

Catch Smiley

Arachnosquire
I don't know if I can pack it down without smashing it. It spends 90% of the time in it's burrow

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I don't know if I can pack it down without smashing it. It spends 90% of the time in it's burrow
Haha that response gae me a good laugh, brilliant.

Personally if you were going to repack the current enclosure you may aswell give it a larger terrestrial setup with a fairly deep substrate and watch it go to town in a new setup.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
If you redo the substrate it will need time to re adjust which is why I said you may aswell switch setups for something a little more long term and see what the does with it.