Horse panacur for herps?

boidaddic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, I'm currently in boarding school and i'm home and thinking of hibernating some of my leopard geckos to prepare for the breeding season. As a health measure i'd like to worm them all and noticed that horse panacur is much cheaper then what a vet was giving me. Are they both the same or is using horse panacur potentially dangerous to a leopard gecko colony? If I can get some advice i'd really appreciate it as i'm going back to school in the next 24 hours.
Peace,
Eric

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi, I'm currently in boarding school and i'm home and thinking of hibernating some of my leopard geckos to prepare for the breeding season. As a health measure i'd like to worm them all and noticed that horse panacur is much cheaper then what a vet was giving me. Are they both the same or is using horse panacur potentially dangerous to a leopard gecko colony? If I can get some advice i'd really appreciate it as i'm going back to school in the next 24 hours.
Peace,
Eric
We use horse panacur regularly to worm all the herps at my zoo. Actually it says on the tubes and bottles "equine de-wormer" and it is used for pretty much everything except the porcupines. Just get the proper dosing and they should be fine.

boidaddic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the feedback, do you know the dosages perhaps for adult leopard geckos, or grams to panacur?
Thanks,
Eric

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
25 mg/kg is the typical dosage for geckos and the horse panacure is fine as long as it's not the apple flavored type...make sure it's got no flavor additives.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
25 mg/kg is the typical dosage for geckos and the horse panacure is fine as long as it's not the apple flavored type...make sure it's got no flavor additives.
Thats weird, I have never seen the apple flavored. Actually, I don't mind the taste of the regular. Strongid on the other hand is pretty nasty.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, what is the issue with the flavourants?

Cheers,
Dave
A couple of reptiles (geckos mostly) would regurgitate the apple flavored stuff and our staff vet attributed it to the flavoring. Seems the apple flavoring can be an irritant to some herps...

The apple flavored is most commonly found in the paste for horses that some livestock supplies sell.

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
YEP!! good stuff that. I have horses and use it for my dogs and stuff.
Just make sure you have a clean sterile syringe and the proper dosage.

Carol

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
YEP!! good stuff that. I have horses and use it for my dogs and stuff.
Just make sure you have a clean sterile syringe and the proper dosage.

Carol
Just an aside about the proper dosing. Panacur has a very large safety margain. Our vet always tells the story of how one of the keepers accidentally gave 10x's the recommended dose to some bison after moving forgetting to move the decimel point. He called the company right away and asked for clinical signs of an overdose. The company said they had never seen one, and those bison are still with us today. The only animals I have encountered that have an adverse reaction to panacur are north american porcupines. They require very exact dosing and because of a death attributed to the drug they were taken off the regiment of panacur in their worming protocol.