Hormetica subcincta ??? & pic

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Get my new kids yesterday and just had to share one of the pics I took. I think these guys are so cool. Anybody have any suggestions on their general care the guy I got them from told me how he was taking care of them. I like to get different opinions from other people.

Attachments

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep mine in moist substrate that's about 5" deep. Deeper would be better. You might want to keep them in a container that's clear enough to see through, because these guys do make some intricate tunnels that are neat to look at. As for food, I keep potato, sweet potato, taro, carrots, basically root-type non-molding foods buried in the substrate for them to munch on.

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the information. I have one more question and that is I read somewhere that males and females look different, how different and what's different other than the obvious??? :)

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Glowspot...NOT!

They dont glow. At least in captivity. It is said they might glow in their native environment due to certain fungus they eat. However I dont have verified info that they glow. The first person I know who had them always referred to them as the safety yellow eye spot roach and another calls them the cellular phone roach because of the way they are shaped. Females dont have the bright colors. There are also other members of the genus in fact we have one that has orange instead of yellow spots.

Digby Rigby
DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

Viridis9

Arachnopeon
Hormetica subcincta

Hi JoJobear: The big differance between the sexes is, it is only the males that have the eye spots the adults that don't are females.
The first common name i heard they were called are "luminescent roach"
This is the name we go by on our website.
Hope this helps.
Ken
www.RoachDomain.com