hopefully not a hybrid.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok so i have a male and female B. albopilosum. Well the female looks like all the other B. albo's i have seen, but the male does not.

the male has a rather dark carapace and i havent seen any pictures of male curly hairs so i guess it could be normal.

what do you all think? and do you have any pics for comparison?

i ask because id like to breed these sooner or later and do not want to breed any alboXvagans.

here is the male

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's gotta be a hybrid........sorry. :(

BTW, Where did you get it?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like a B.vagans x B.alpopilosum to me, for what that's worth, which is close to nil, lol.

And even if he is a hybrid, I think he's a keeper. :D

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got him from kelly swift last year i think..maybe 2 years ago. i dont think kelly made a hybrid intentionally but maybe it was hybrid before he got his specimen.

(assuming this is in fact an AlboXvagans)

anyone have a picture of a true B. albo male?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
here is a picture of the female i have.(this was a fresh molt pic, but she looks the same still)

also fom kelly swift. around the ame time.

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how big is it? i got a b. albo from kelly swift about a year ago too, and it's just about 3 inches now and really should be molting soon. i can post a pic when he/she does just for comparison; it's a long-shot but depending on how big yours is, maybe they could be sacmates?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah they probably are. i got to looking and these are from last years batch he had.

mine is around 3.5 inches right now. so i wouldnt doubt these are indeed sac mates.

Is yours a male or female?

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not sure; i'm not great at ventral sexing and was just going to wait on the next molt and examine the exuvia. let me see if i can pinch grab it and get a pic for you to eval.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
alright. then can you get a carapce shot as well?

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh geez... i'm sorry but i had vagans so much on my mind that that was the T i was thinking of when i read this thread. i just realized that after taking some pics.

i did get a b. albo in that same order from kelly, but he/she was a bit smaller than the vagans (prob about 0.5 inches), and incidentally just molted 3 days ago (was around 2.5 inches prior). as soon as he/she hardens up, i will get some pics and post them.

sorry for the confusion!:eek: but i'm definitely curious as well:)

AllieCat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My female albopilosum is a lot darker than yours and has white-ish 'long hairs'...yours definetly seem reddish... the carapace on mine is black as well, not reddish....:?

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok well curiosity got the better of me, and i decided to get him/her out for a quick photoshoot and a rehouse at the same time. i'm pretty conservative with feeding even my slings and i don't keep them any warmer than my other Ts (so around ~70 pretty consistently), so mine is probably a few molts behind yours. are these good enough to sex?

ETA: 3 days post-molt, approx 2.5 inches (was 2-2.25 prior to molt, i overestimated a bit above), flash used on all pics.
purchased from kelly swift 5/31/09 at 0.25-0.5 inches.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
here is a picture of the female i have.(this was a fresh molt pic, but she looks the same still)

also fom kelly swift. around the ame time.

I have had 3 of these. Two I still have, the largest is a confirmed female and her carapace looks nothing like that. I have another I raised from a sling and its Carapace looks like neither the male in question or this female you are showing.Both are from Southern spider works. The third one I had was a male that matured and I sent to someone for breeding, the carapace on it also looked like neither of these and it was from a different source . The specimans I do have, and have had, look like all the other pictures I have seen that are supposed to be reprasenative of the breed. My female , who is well over 4 inches just molted last week and her carapace looked nothing like that even after a fresh molt. Frankly I have to wonder what exactly you both have, since they both came from the same source.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
codykrr, neither your male or female look like B.albopilosum to me. They have too much red in all the wrong places.

Here is a picture of my 4.8-inch female:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's gotta be a hybrid........sorry. :(
Why?

I have no interest in guessing the background of that spider, but what makes it a hybrid from that picture?

The coloration of the carapace? I don't buy that at all. A darker carapace=hybrid with B. vagans? Then This one must have stumbled upon a B. vagans in Costa Rica!!

Eric

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! Hokie

I hope if I get Off-Spring, that Mine look :eek: like Yours!
I hear they Vary - Tremendously - Jason

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha thanks! i'm kinda sad about the pics... the spider is much more impressive to me than i am able to capture. they always look so beautiful and shiny fresh after a molt.

your breeding pair is just gorgeous... i never realized how red the males of this species could get. <--- oh i just assumed that was a mature albo, not a vagans :/

can anyone help with the sex of mine?