Honduran curly hair with DKS

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
Hello everyone. I was hesitant at first since dos is normally a swift death sentence for a tarantula. Only had it one other time in my collection and seen it in two other collections. This is my second occurrence and he's been alive this long "don't actually know gender" how have has anyone dealt with "extended" versions of this ailment? I've looked at the previous DKS thread but would like to see if there's any more recent as in past month potentially or sooner.

user 666

Arachnobaron
"he's been alive this long"

I can't see how many fingers you're holding up.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I'm hoping people will ignore this thread. DKS is controversial.

I don't believe in it.

Now for the advice that is actually helpful. DKS is simply believed that your tarantula is poisoned.

You only have one option. Hydrate the tarantula and hope it passes through. DO NOT MAKE AN ICU.

Simply place the tarantula in a clean enclosure with fresh substrate and a wide shallow water dish, no additional decorations. Keep the enclosure in dark and undisturbed place. You will need to flip the spider over if it is unresponsive and drip water onto its mouth. This will last anywhere from a few days or a few months. Oh and it might get better and then show symptoms again at a later time.

user 666

Arachnobaron
How can DKS be controversial?

Do you really disbelieve the many reports about Ts showing spastic leg movements and then dying?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
How can DKS be controversial?

Do you really disbelieve the many reports about Ts showing spastic leg movements and then dying?
I think it's that some people regard it as a disease, when it's actually a symptom of an underlying problem (which is often exposure to chemicals/poisoning.)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There is just about nothing that you can do. I've had a few tarantulas (all bought from Craigslist) that displayed those twitchy movements. Molting seems to help, but unfortunately it takes 2-3 molts before the spider is back to 100% normal. They often don't live that long, which is why you see so many cases of death. Out of the three that I've had, only one survived. One dies before ever trying to molt, and the third died mid-molt (I believe that he couldn't properly wiggle himself out of the exoskeleton specifically because of those twitchy movements).

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
I'm hoping people will ignore this thread. DKS is controversial.

I don't believe in it.

Now for the advice that is actually helpful. DKS is simply believed that your tarantula is poisoned.

You only have one option. Hydrate the tarantula and hope it passes through. DO NOT MAKE AN ICU.

Simply place the tarantula in a clean enclosure with fresh substrate and a wide shallow water dish, no additional decorations. Keep the enclosure in dark and undisturbed place. You will need to flip the spider over if it is unresponsive and drip water onto its mouth. This will last anywhere from a few days or a few months. Oh and it might get better and then show symptoms again at a later time.
I used to be on your side of the argument. The first time I saw it as a mer exception. Now this is the second time. Granted the first time was with one of my first tarantulas at age when I was 11 so could this still be conceded a coincidence?

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
"he's been alive this long"

I can't see how many fingers you're holding up.
All of them praying the little guy makes it through. Want to have a successful case of saving one and not another failure.