Hogna ID's?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any experts here? I'm not real familiar with wolf spiders, I always passed them up. But then I was inspired to keep a couple and I was surprised, they are a really nice spider to put in a terr if you like spiders, nice active hunters when they are hungry. I'm confused with the ID of these things though. There is a really big species around here in central Texas, light colored. It's the species in the first two pics. Then there is another that is pretty big but not nearly as big, it's the one in the second two pics. I've seen what looks like two different species on the internet but both called H. carolinensis. A lot of mistakes with pics and IDs on the web though. But I also wonder if both I have pictured here are the same species, the last one not mature. But I have juvs of the first and they are all black underneath unlike the second one pictured. So what are these two I have pics of?

another sps:

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice spiders! No clue on ID...haven't seen those ventral markings before! The last pic looks a little familiar, but I can't quite place it...

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow! they are nice at that,they appear to be all carolinensis(ofcourse not 100%though),the first 2 look like males(maybe immature) you have some awesome sp. where you are:clap:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah there are two males and a female in the second pic, I mailed those off last year. But there is a diff looking one around here that is darker and looks diff in general, looks diff in a consistent way too. I plan on looking around for them more in the next few months to see if I can see what I mean lol:eek: btw, I saw a solifugid last night here in the Austin area also, not a common site here. The body was about an inch long. It was running along a cattle guard bar and went down underneath it, I couldn't get it:mad: I can't believe I'm thinking of a little road hunting again tonight.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I saw a solifugid last night here in the Austin area also, not a common site here. The body was about an inch long. It was running along a cattle guard bar and went down underneath it, I couldn't get it:mad: I can't believe I'm thinking of a little road hunting again tonight.
Try some pitfall traps. They are excellent for catching a lot of things you'd rarely see otherwise. Don't put any fluid in them if you want live specimens, of course.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey Todd,

i'm no expert but what i remember from knowing the collection area and judging on the large size, they can only be H.carolinensis, and those come in several colors and forms,... H. coloradensis is also a candidate but i think those are a bit out of range from your area. Wolfspiders are indeed very interesting spiders to keep, love watching them struggle and knock down large preys, fearless beasts sometimes :razz:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK, thanks. Drove around a little last night, ...nothing, it was warmer, I thought I'd see more things. But there is thin smoke everywhere because of brush fires further north, I wondered if it had something to do with nothing being out.

The weird thing with solifugids is that they have an organ on the end of their pedipalps they can expose and it's real "sticky". They can climb right up smooth glass with those things, they can get out of a pitfall trap. Too bad I didn't get that one.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, I let the dead cat go out in the country tonight, didn't seem too excited about it. I road hunted bugs on the way back. I found these:
Don't know what species this is, LS is about like a silver dollar.

And these are juv carolinesis as far as I can tell.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

i'm really interessted to know what genus this one with slings on her back is, because i have a very similar species in breed here - but mine is from pakistan...
it's completly similar with eyes arrangement and sizes, shape of PS, colours and pattern, "spiny" legs, etc...

bye, oli

edit : one difference is that my species have scopulae on tarsus, metatarsus and apical part of tibiae...seems that yours don't have this ?!

Last edited:

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

that's nice, thanks !

what's with the scopulae...could you take a look ?

ciao, oliver

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll try to take a better look after the slings leave.

She's not very big but ran after this adult cricket as soon as I dropped it in there. I need to decide what to do with her soon. I may keep some slings to raise, to keep them going.
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/galapoheros/?action=view&current=A030-20110422_215911.mp4

One reason I wanted to try this was, because I thought she wouldn't eat it all(I was wrong), I wondered it the slings would take advantage of the leftovers. You can see though that some were feeding on the cricket while the mother was, on is on the head, several look to be underneath the cricket.
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/galapoheros/?action=view&current=A034-20110423_003044.mp4

Some look like they have molted.
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/galapoheros/?action=view&current=A037-20110423_163828.mp4

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

nice vid's thanks for sharing them !

my sp. from pakistan is even so not big.
of course i should be cautious with such comments, but i'm nearly sure that this is the same genus. other continent offcourse, but not impossible.

several times i observed in a few species that slings was eating leftovers from the mother - a lycosa singoriensis female was two times killing the prey, than only feed 2 minutes on it and left the rest to the slings. so your intention was right, but your mother was too hungry LOL

why you need to decide what to do with her ?

cheers, oli

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good you liked the vids. For spiders, they seem to have smart instincts at least. I will put my finger in the container and she will move to put her front feet on my finger and for a split second it looks as though she is thinking, "Oh, it's that thing again, no problem", haha, then she will just sit again. Behavior is what makes me interested in all this stuff, who knows. I'm not into dead stuff in jars.

I will prob let her go and keep some of the slings, maybe to mail to other people. It's that it's getting insane over here, too much and unorganized, I need to draw a line somewhere and clean up. I don't remember seeing this species before so it would bother me not to keep some of them, does anybody know what species it is? I will have to wait for the slings to leave to take a clear pic. Do wolf spiders have sacs year after year, or only once? I could google but, well, here I am. She ate another adult cricket, don't know how she did it.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

yes behavior is most interessting - and in my case about this i was comming to ask myself : "what do i keep here inside my container" and so i TRY to become a clue about basic taxonomical things...

LOL :D "too much and unorganized"...exactly my problem here..since a few weeks i think about stop breeding and sale everything except my wolfspiders -because i need too long time every week to care about my spiders and so i have less time to observe my wolfs (in container and in alcohol ;) )

sorry, i can't tell what species you have there...i'm still trying to confirm what genus my species (this similar looking one) is. species id will not be possible with pics i think and you will need material for comparision under the bino...

keep some of your hatchlings, this will be a good decission :)

cheers, oli

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not a true spider fan

but these ARE FRICKEN STUNNING !!!!!

whats the LS on these ???

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The weird thing with solifugids is that they have an organ on the end of their pedipalps they can expose and it's real "sticky". They can climb right up smooth glass with those things, they can get out of a pitfall trap. Too bad I didn't get that one.
You can try putting a funnel inside the opening of the pitfall trap. That way whatever gets into the trap will have a harder time climbing out, because it won't be a straight climb and the exit will be harder for it to find or get to.

Also, a leaf or two in the bottom of the trap might induce it to take cover instead of leave the trap (long enough for you to visit the trap and find it there). Worth trying.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
LS looks to be less than 2 inches. Sound like good ideas to me jsloan. I could try it around my house, so much bedrock though to dig around, planting a small tree is hard to do here. Anyway, I found another soli road hunting around here, body only about an inch, looks like a male to me.

@Oli, I have a lot of stuff I've bred too, but I'm having doubts about taking it up a notch or doing what you are thinking of, that is, only keeping some favorites. It's that I have juv arthros and if I hung in there, I could constantly keep breeding going with those while people might have a constant supply from my end. I don't know if it's worth it. There is artificial demand sometimes. One or two may say they want something really bad, then you sell one or two and that's it for a long time.

Last edited:

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

really nice find ;)

...and yes we have to figure it out for our selfs...

cheers, oli