Hogna carolinensis 1i and 2i

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Adorable little guys. Wish I could find them here. With their scientific name being that, you’d think they’d be common in North Carolina lol

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I like how you can already see some of the Lycosidae patterns forming on them already, even during first instar.

Are you planning on keeping them all?

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
You'd think. To be fair I had a hard time finding them. I grew up upteen slings that were maybes, but none turned out carolinensis. Grew up a male from a small juvie, then stumbled on the female in what I thought was an Aphonopelma burrow. Spotting with a headlamp if they are sitting on the burrows, but still then you only have adults, I like starting with slings for wild caught, less surprises.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I like how you can already see some of the Lycosidae patterns forming on them already, even during first instar.

Are you planning on keeping them all?
Keep a few, let a few go, and try to sell the rest lol.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
You'd think. To be fair I had a hard time finding them. I grew up upteen slings that were maybes, but none turned out carolinensis. Grew up a male from a small juvie, then stumbled on the female in what I thought was an Aphonopelma burrow. Spotting with a headlamp if they are sitting on the burrows, but still then you only have adults, I like starting with slings for wild caught, less surprises.
Dang, whereabouts did you find them? (What kind of environment) I haven't any luck at all in Houston, looking down every burrow I see. Been looking for these all over the place but I only find Rabidosa rabida.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Dang, whereabouts did you find them? (What kind of environment)
Borderline desert/mountains. Foothills of Rockies in central Colorado. These are really grey here, not a lot of browns like other localities I've seen, at least I haven't seen any brown ones. I'm keeping these going. There's also Geolycosa missouriensis here and it's either one or the other in a burrow. I still only find a handful every year, some will close the burrows up, then good luck.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah here in NC the only burrowing wolfies I see are Tigrosa annexa, and those only sometimes make burrows. Nowhere near the size of this species though. I hope I can see one in person one day! Super cool :)

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I've got the Geolycosa slings, and Hogna antelucana too right now. I'm a bit overwhelmed lol. Now I have maybe 400 to deal with, there's 200 here, that's just a small part in there, there's another pot. And it's not like anybody is done dropping sacs. These almost look like they could hit me for 200 pinheads night 1 :lol:

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
That is a lot of work. I can see why you wanna just molt them out and let them go hahaha

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah here in NC the only burrowing wolfies I see are Tigrosa annexa, and those only sometimes make burrows. Nowhere near the size of this species though. I hope I can see one in person one day! Super cool :)
should be able to find H. caro in coastal carolina in sandy habitat. H, Lenta, Tigrosa aspersa, T. georgicola too

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
That is a lot of work. I can see why you wanna just molt them out and let them go hahaha
I let 5 go earlier. I'll let a batch of juvies go later probably, and mature males. Right now I'm just trying to fill this laundry basket with 5.5oz deli cups. I'm out of boxes to fill up, and I'll be out of deli cups before this basket is full I'm sure lol. The H. antelucana is staring at me covered in babies too like "what about my babies?" "Here, wear pantyhose on your enclosure, I'll get to them later"

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
should be able to find H. caro in coastal carolina in sandy habitat. H, Lenta, Tigrosa aspersa, T. georgicola too
I’m near Charlotte so I’m a bit away from there. Tigrosa georgicola and H. lenta are found here though , I see them every once in a while. Thanks for the tip!