Hobo spider? on an adventure?

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
This buddy ran across my path last night. I assume off to search for warmer sanctuary, is this a hobo? From what I've seen eratigena agrestis has a pretty distinct pattern and shading but it was pitch black and I had to use flash so patterns not very great although it looks like it could be(maybe a mimic species?) Any opinions? I just thought I was funny since I've never come across a so blatantly nocturnal true spider before! Probably off to sleep in someone's garage :)
20181104_184244.jpg

NYAN

Arachnoking
You can’t really positively ID a hobo spider from a photo alone. They can many many different patterns, including no pattern. It’s a possibility of course as this does resemble one, but not certain.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You can’t really positively ID a hobo spider from a photo alone.
Thanks for the chuckle. I did a search for E Agrestis images just now. Among other candidates were a sparassid, a yellow sac, several eratigena with long spinnerets, a probable recluse and a lycosid.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Thanks for the chuckle. I did a search for E Agrestis images just now. Among other candidates were a sparassid, a yellow sac, several eratigena with long spinnerets, a probable recluse and a lycosid.
Erategena atrica is one of the most commonly mistaken spiders. People think that the chevron pattern automatically means hobo spider when it doesn’t. I’ve honestly accepted two things: first, the general public is bad at identifying spiders scratch a few species. Second, google will give 5-10 different spider species when you search images for something. I’m glad I made you chuckle :)

The Snark

Old Timer
I’ve honestly accepted two things: first, the general public is bad at identifying spiders scratch a few species.
A professor of mine reviewing students lab methodology, paraphrased: "The first step all scientists must take is differentiating between what the test analysis reveals and what you want them to be."

I'm still in chuckle land over the Heteropoda Venatoria male contesting for a spot as a Hobo spider.

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
@The Snark Haha ok this Google search comment was so true XD I remember once looking up a species of old world on Google and having a kulcania pop up in images XD but thanks for trying guys! I live in NW Washington if that helps lol but I didn't realize the hobo had such appearance range so thanks for teaching me new facts! Also Heteropoda vs a hobo?!! Even I'd call that out XD probably just cause I love all heteropoda! Either way it was a cute little critter(my dog tried to eat it unfortunately :/ but it got away!)

The Snark

Old Timer
NW Washington
The guess is the Hobo got it's fair share of hitchhikers off of ships. Then the genius local linguists transliterated agresti into aggressive and the rest is history. Makes sense that the Pac. N. W. should offer them a comfy niche having a climate similar to their native habitats in Europe. I'm wondering how many times Mr. Crawford had to explain/exclaim, it's an Agelenid! A grass spider!

NYAN

Arachnoking
Then the genius local linguists transliterated agresti into aggressive and the rest is history.
Did you say aggressive hobo recluse spider?!?

Makes sense that the Pac. N. W. should offer them a comfy niche having a climate similar to their native habitats in Europe.
They are also in Utah, small parts of Colorado and Idaho.

The Snark

Old Timer
Did you say aggressive hobo recluse spider?
You meant the aggressive hobo widow banana clock reclusive yellow-sac toilet spider, right?

They are also in Utah, small parts of Colorado and Idaho.
That's interesting. I've been idly keeping track of them. First reported in the Seattle, Bellevue and Renton areas. We are going to get a front row seat on adaptation it seems as they are mostly from the northern European and British isles areas. See how the heat of the US S.W. effects them. Also wondering what headway they will make into the Pacific coast temperate rain forest.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
I read about those killing people on the internet! I believe everything I read, and it looks scary so I believe it.
Can we get a couple of gallons of that cheap wine and some Thorazine over here?