Heteroscodra maculata

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are H.maculata fast, medium, or slow growers? I have one that hatched out about 2 weeks ago and is 1/8 of an inch long and want to know how many years it will be till it reaches sexual maturity.

Anthony

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine is 11 months old and has about a 3 inch legspan, has molted 5 times and is about to enter another cycle I think.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm pretty sure somebody that posted here was bitten by one, and posted during the experience. sounded terrible, i think he had to go to the hospital. that was when i first found the board, think it was about 3 years ago so i doubt anybody remembers it. the females are beautiful, but i can't say i have any desire to own one hehe.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm no expert but i've never heard of anybody having an awful reaction to a t bite from that small of a t. but don't try to find out for yourself! you never know what could happen.

i think the story was this kid was sleepy and was watering t's. the beasty was up on the lid and he wasn't paying attention. when he opened the lid to water it, it jumped it bit him. it sounded about as bad as a pokie bite. definately not a responsibility to be taken lightly.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a P.regalis also how are their temperment and bites (mine has never shown any sign of aggression onle EXTREME speed:D).

murinuz

Arachnopeon
H.maculata

I´ve heard the maculatas are very aggresive and fast (jumpers too)... Females are beutifull and I think i will buy some of them....later{D
but not yet, I have to get more experience with aggresive spiders..

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
My female has been very mellow. When I took her egg sack she was a bit put out, but not bad. Out of all 200+ babies only one has given me a threat display :D Cutest thing Ive ever seen.

vinnymc

Arachnopeon
I´ve heard the maculatas are very aggresive and fast (jumpers too)... Females are beutifull and I think i will buy some of them....later{D
but not yet, I have to get more experience with aggresive spiders..
All you really need is fast reflexes because I am a beginner and only had a G.rosea before and I have an H.maculata I find it quite managable except for the jumping part.

o0 Mr Ed 0o

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Reflexes won't help you much unless you are jumping out of the way, extreme caution is what you need. If I have to open my macs enclosure for maintenance or feeding I always check to see where it is to, once I opened the lid up after shining a light in to see some legs through dense webbing, only to find that it had molted and my thumb was no more than 1cm away from a 3 1/2" specimen at the top of the enclosure. It skuttled around the top, went back in then down. What did i learn? Always thoroughly assess the situation especially when it comes to rehousing them, take every precaution necessary. You could easily find one running up your arm and sitting on your back for the next 5 hours. Its good that you are comfortable and confident, just don't get to confident mistakes can happen, be respectful also.

vinnymc

Arachnopeon
Well I do take precautions like clean the area of anything so it wont hide and escape.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 03:58 PM ----------

Well I do take precautions like clean the area of anything so it wont hide and escape.

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
Yea... I just rehoused what is around a 2in maybe. It ran so fast up and out of the container it was in, I literally jumped backwards. I did manage to catch it. And though it didn't show any aggression persay. It was extremely unpredictable with transfer. And when I got it into it's new cage, it literally teleported across and up the enclosure in a flash. I just ordered some 10" tongs for it among a few others.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Great, now all you guys need is a time machine and John Cusack so you can travel back to 2006. Please read last post date before responding;)