Heteroscodra maculata

CWall2001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like that. I almost picked up a S. calceatum at the show Saturday, but sadly I told my self I wouldn't go to the ATM for any more money and only had like $20 left. I believe it was Scott Crowe that had one.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i love my H. mac. at first i was super intimidated by her, but then i got her out a couple times, realized how fast she really was....and now i have no problem handling her. shes pretty much a total sweet heart....or compared to some of the others ive held anyway. i know the bite is nasty and they are quicker than greased lightening but all in all i see no threat from them...hardly any attitude and if i may dare to say...very fun to handle. a real run for the money.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Definitely get it if you can. It seems that there has been a large supply of these being brought in recently, and for low prices. A month ago, I bought a breedable pair of full adults for $24, and have seen juvies goin for $20-30 on average at other places. The females are gorgeous, and the males look really cool too. I am tempted to start breeding mine, but I am not sure if I will be able to get rid of all the babies...

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Soooo...are these typically more aggressive than an OBT or just faster? How hard are they to keep ticking? The care sheets recommend 75%-80% humidity. Seems like a pain.
Anyone know how long the females live?

I didn't know about this species until this thread and now I can't get over how beautiful they are. I'm going to test myself with my new P.lugardi first but an H.mac will definitely be my next aquisition if all goes well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YSBgETQn18

Great my wife just read the "possibly the most venomous tarantula in the world" part from this vid.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All mine does is hide, I have yet to see a threat posture, and when I get it outside of its enclosure its really timid, still really fast but only in short bursts. Now my s. calceatum, that is a diferent story. You haven't seen fast until you have seen one of them burn rubber.:eek: Mine is right around 2" and looks to be female. I would def. pick it up, they are pretty neat little t's, ferocious eaters and are very quick.

post a ventral pic and maybe we can help you sex it. :)