heterometrus spinifer Setup

Adie679

Arachnopeon
IMG_9586.JPG IMG_9588.JPG Hi all I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm currently setting up a tank for a incoming heterometrus spinifer that's gonna be shipped within a week. This is actually my first time keeping scorpion, but anyways I did some research and set an terrarium(20 gallon) for it.
There's 3" of cocofiber as substrate, I got a heat pad and temp is always around 80-85 f. As for humidity I got lots of moss so it's always been 70-75% since i set it up. All these conditions are supposed to meet the requirements according to my online research but I still want to double confirm it. But my main concern is the lighting, I'm currently having zoomed nano led for the terrarium which it actually provide really nice appearance to the terrarium. Anyways I've saw a lot of threads in the internet saying lights are bad for them, so it was really tough when I was trying to find he right bulb for it(I know red bulb inferred is perfect since it provides heat and red light won't disturb them, but for appearance red light is just missing something), so I've looked over bulbs and I have chose the nano led which it don't really provide much uv and just pure light, also I have a lot of shades for it to hide in the terrarium, so the main question is would the nano led be a concern?
Thank you guys I know it's a really long thread but I would really wanna know, thank you very much:)

Last edited:

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
VERY cool setup. Everything seems to be spot on. As far as the light goes i wouldnt always leave it on. Use it when needed

Fyi that's a huge tank for 1 scorp. You should go with a communal setup

Adie679

Arachnopeon
VERY cool setup. Everything seems to be spot on. As far as the light goes i wouldnt always leave it on. Use it when needed

Fyi that's a huge tank for 1 scorp. You should go with a communal setup
Thanks for replying! I'm glad that everything's on point:)
That's what I'm thinking, I'll mostly rely on daylight, cause the enclosure is just next to my window but time to time I might turn the light on for photos. That's what I'm planning to do next actually, I guess if nothing goes wrong the month after my AFS arrives, I'll think about setting up one more tank which it's gonna base on communal setup:)
Anyways thanks for the info I'm so glad that I could actually keep the light, tho it's just occasional use only.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
You wouldn't want to use that same tank for the communal setup . It can easily house 2 more

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Aesthetically pleasing setup you made, nice. :)

My female didn't care for the peat/coco fiber mix, constantly roamed about. Changed to topsoil w/h vermiculite and within a couple of days scraped a burrow under the cork slab.

Spinifer, compared to longimanus, are a docile species. As far as Heterometrus species go. ;)

Enjoy!