heterometrus (asian forest) first time owner, soil preference?

silentarantula

Arachnopeon
i plan to have substrate soil from zoo med for my asian forest scorpions.

however i've seen few methods to use with substrate soil. i'm just curious what the responses will be on here.

do you just loosen up the soil and set up on terrarium? add water to soil?

do you mix with non-chemical potting soil? also add some water for substrate soil to absorb a little?

i've seen some just use the pieces of barks or coconut husks?

deathfingers66

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

however i've seen few methods to use with substrate soil. i'm just curious what the responses will be on here.

do you mix with non-chemical potting soil? also add some water for substrate soil to absorb a little?

never use soil, get a coconut bedding aka eco-earth, or even better coco soft (which is organic), mix coconut substrate with moss, and I always mix in sand the dryer the species more sand, in this case with Asian, not much sand in the mix, provide a piece of cork bark and a nice size water dish!!!

deathfingers66

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
never use soil, get a coconut bedding aka eco-earth, or even better coco soft (which is organic), mix coconut substrate with moss, and I always mix in sand the dryer the species more sand, in this case with Asian, not much sand in the mix, provide a piece of cork bark and a nice size water dish!!!
and once you start mixing the three ingredients ,have a spray bottle besides you, with spring, or even better distilled water, and spray substrate and mix, and repeat until it looks moist throughout, also best to try to set up tank a few days before arrival, should always add isopods(little vacums) as well to keep tank debris at bay, which attracts mites, and other nasty stuff.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Our happy little minax neighbor is living in rock hard compacted clay.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I use a mixture of organic potting mix forest floor from pet stores. Just make sure that's there no fertilizers or pesticides.

It seems to be a good mixture, capable of burrowing (packing) and holds moisture really well.

He's a pic of my mixture with Asian Forest scorpling ...

1068.jpeg

Captandan

Arachnopeon

Captandan

Arachnopeon

Lava rock for drainage, top soil mixed with sand and rocks.

WP_20170404_07_02_50_Pro.jpg