Here they come, A LOT of Legs :)

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a few clutches of Tiger Legs centipedes that i've been waiting for this fall and it seems like the babies are finally getting some colors in between the mothers' legs :)!!!!

As a little experiment, last year i incubated the babies of three clutches of tiger legs at 22-24C and it took me between 66 and 71 days. This year, i tried incubating the babies at around 24-28C and the first clutch has taken ONLY 37 DAYS!!!! I find that totally incredible how the babies seemed to grow almost TWICE faster... I didn't separate them all today but tomorow i'll have the count of Clutch number1.

phil.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that certainly bears out the axiom or whatever that every +10*C = doubling metabolism in exothermic inverts

very cool (heh, that's a temperature joke, see?) little demonstration :)

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This also applies with a few other creatures too.

Very interesting though how a few degrees can make such a significant difference.

I might try to mate my centipedes later so when the eggs ever do come, I'll pop in here with some pics and questions lol...

Nathan

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that certainly bears out the axiom or whatever that every +10*C = doubling metabolism in exothermic inverts

very cool (heh, that's a temperature joke, see?) little demonstration :)
How much does metabolism affect growth rate?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is interesting. Allot of experiments you could do with temps and egg development. That makes me wonder if people are losing good eggs from the temp in the room being too low. :? hmmm. I found an S. heros in July under a thin flat rock, hanging on to the rock. It was exposed to the heat of the day. It was really hot that day last year.

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know very little and the source was pretty vague and about a completely different animal (esox fish)
it said that the largest animals are in the cooler waters because slower metabolism lets them live longer. I would guess that a faster metabolism speeds growth, but not linearly

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no idea, but i have to believe quite a lot. metabolic processes, bydef, are what power an organsim and build cells.
Like most things in life, it differs between one organism and another so how much it affects one can be totally different in another.

Temperature affects a lot of things. There was a study that showed some ppl that ate less, just enough to fill themselves and they lived longer. It was shown in ripleys too I think where I couple did so, just eating enough to stay alive.

Thats just food and another example how even a slight change can be a significant one.

Sorta makes you think twice about what an "ideal" condition/habitat really is, one that keeps you alive longer or one that makes you more comfortable lol...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like most things in life, it differs between one organism and another so how much it affects one can be totally different in another.

Temperature affects a lot of things. There was a study that showed some ppl that ate less, just enough to fill themselves and they lived longer. It was shown in ripleys too I think where I couple did so, just eating enough to stay alive.

Thats just food and another example how even a slight change can be a significant one.

Sorta makes you think twice about what an "ideal" condition/habitat really is, one that keeps you alive longer or one that makes you more comfortable lol...

i started an experimentish a couple years ago regarding temperature and caloric manipulation. fell apart as i didn't plan very well.
http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/results2nestor.html
http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/results3nestor.html
damn, it would have been into year two if i had kept it up. best not think about it, too much. *sigh*

i have a new demonstration in the works using just G. rosea now :)

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i need to try to heat up my guys a bit then...that may keep mine from getting munched so much...and maybe stop them from taking forever...thnx for sharing

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Guess what we did in the bio lab today.
We put gerbils in different temperature environments and measured their respiration (which could be related to metabolism?)
It went up as they got colder, but I figure thats because they are warm-blooded and use that extra energy for shivering or whatever.

It was the biggest waste of time like bio labs usually are. We spent 3 hours watching a number change over 5 minute intervals. And it was a little weird just moving a gerbil from jar to jar. In the end I think we proved a concept that I could have looked up in the textbook, and I guarantee I won't remember whatever it was next week.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, here are the results for Clutch1 after 37 days of incubation at ''high'' temperature : 11 babies!!!! It's quite a small clutch but i'm very thankfull, since the next one should be ready to get off the female already!!!!

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i need to try to heat up my guys a bit then...that may keep mine from getting munched so much...and maybe stop them from taking forever...thnx for sharing
well... just remember that centipedes dry out and become damamged/dead the fastest of the Big Three pet bugs... i typically do not recommend heating unless you are pretty comfortable with centipede operational parameters already

but... if you think you are up to it, then it would be interesting to see if we can't start to smooth out centipede baby production by using heat :)

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think they may be being kept a little too cool...i will for sure let ya'll know if anything changes...

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, here comes CLUTCH2!!!! The reccord is, after 38 days of incubation at 24-28C... 80 BABIES!!!! The female seems to be really enjoying her crickets right now!!!!

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, here comes CLUTCH2!!!! The reccord is, after 38 days of incubation at 24-28C... 80 BABIES!!!! The female seems to be really enjoying her crickets right now!!!!

phil.
dang dude

how many plings do you have, total, now? count any stage past undifferentiated egg.

i have 7 bluering leg last level nymphs and about 30 S. polymorpha 1i's :D
(really excited about the bluering babies! i had eggs before but she ate them. and this was a different bluering so i now have two known females :D)

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well right now i have 91 baby tiger legs, with three more clutches, late protonymphs and nymphs... I have tons of other babies but they're more than one month old now.

phil.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Next clutch : after 39 days, 36 babies. The total of baby tiger legs for now is... 127 babies. Only 38 more to beat last year!!!!

phil.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And the clutch after that... After also 39 days of incubation at 24-28C... 14 babies AND... I RAN OUT OF CUPS, nooooooooo!!!!

I left the rest of the babies together but it seems like a nice sized clutch so i would say about 30 more babies to come and another clutch, hehe.

Total for now : 141.

phil.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats! That's awesome. I'd be interested in a mortality rate over the next 4-6 months. I'm having about 1 out of 7-8 babies die, then it looks good after that. Don't know exactly what's up but most of those deaths look to have come from infections where the grain mites are around the first 5 or so tergites, where the pede can't reach. Hard not to see small food remains in the baby containers. I probably haven't been careful enough when it comes to not giving them too much to eat at one time. Plings must have a thinner exo compared to adults if their size is relative, so might it be possible the grain mites are able to do some damage when the pedes are so young? Just one micro breech of the exo seems like it would be enough. Just trying to figure this stuff out, I don't really know.