Help.

doggmann

Arachnopeon
Good day Arachnoboards,

Im buying a 5i Androctonus bicolor this week and i want to be sure if it is really a Androctonus bicolor and not a Parabuthus transvaalicus. Because im not familiar with both species. Can you give me tips to identify both species and how can i check if its healthy.

Thanks,
-L.A.

jake9134

Arachnosquire
A. bicolor has a smaller telson(stinger) compared to the rest of their giant tail and have thinner and longer chela (claws). The telson on a P. trans is proportionate to the tail. look up some pics of both sp. on the gallery.

snippy

Arachnobaron
Pointing towards such morphological traits is a bit difficult when talking about juvenile specimen!

But one thing ís VERY clear: Parabuthus transvaalicus has a very hairy metasoma, Androctonus bicolor does not. I would worry about a mis-ID among other black Androctonus spp. and not among scorpions of another genus.

Regards
Finn

doggmann

Arachnopeon
Thanks Jake and Finn. Now i really notice what's the difference between the two. Both of your replies are very helpful. I asked the seller to send me a picture then ill post it here.

Thanks again
L.A.

MaxxZacho

Arachnopeon
Make sure he gts packed well, ive received 2 D.O.A. from very reputable dealer. I guess they are sensitive to changes

doggmann

Arachnopeon
Here are the pictures. =D

---------- Post added 03-18-2012 at 12:17 AM ----------

---------- Post added 03-18-2012 at 12:18 AM ----------

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Beautiful specimen. Looks very healthy and has a Leather look to it. Pretty neat!