Help with flies in cricket container?

SquishyPenguin

Arachnopeon
Hi guys!
I've been trying to hatch some crickets out of eggs that have been laid by my adults, they've been kept warm and wet in a critter keeper that's had tinfoil and a pair of stockings over the holes to prevent any escapees.
I just opened up the box and about 10 tiny little flies came out! NOT what I wanted to find, or have loose about my house.
Is this batch of eggs worth scrapping and starting over? Or is there something I need to do with my keeping that will help get rid the flies? I'm wondering if restricting the air flow as much as I have has caused problems - I was trying to keep the humidity up.

♥

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi guys!
I've been trying to hatch some crickets out of eggs that have been laid by my adults, they've been kept warm and wet in a critter keeper that's had tinfoil and a pair of stockings over the holes to prevent any escapees.
I just opened up the box and about 10 tiny little flies came out! NOT what I wanted to find, or have loose about my house.
Is this batch of eggs worth scrapping and starting over? Or is there something I need to do with my keeping that will help get rid the flies? I'm wondering if restricting the air flow as much as I have has caused problems - I was trying to keep the humidity up.

♥
It is likely that the tiny flies are fungus gnats. They are attracted to moist substrate. In my cricket breeding bin, I don’t tend to have problems with fungus gnats, but I allow the very top layer of the substrate in the egglaying container to dry out every couple of days. The rest of the substrate must retain some moisture, of course, or, as you know, the cricket eggs will dessicate and die.

I do have some issues with fungus gnats in my critter room because I have lots of enclosures with moist substrate, and not all of them are gnatproof. I think I have largely solved the issue by keeping one of those yellow sticky fly tapes hanging near the window in the room. It traps the fungus gnats incredibly well, and really keeps their numbers down...without any nasty pesticides.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
they are attracted by Apple Cider vinegar, put a bit of vinegar in a cup and put a little bit of soap in the vinegar. The flies go for a drink, because of the soap, they cant get out, and they drown...