Help - Urgent

kerensky

Arachnopeon
hey everyone i'd appreciate if anyone knows what's wrong with my centipede... :?

i wasn't around when it happened yesterday but my friends at my workplace claimed the pede climbed to the top of the enclosure some one of the "smarter" ones decided to thump the enclosure and my pede dropped back down. :evil:

i didn't notice anything until i cleared out the enclosure today and realised that my baby looks as if he's paralysed "waist" down... :wall:

will he make it? :(

here's a picture. the affected segments have the pair of legs curled inwards. it's "tail" also broke but i can't find the pieces in the tank.

argh :mad:

at least it still ate the mutilated cricket i offered it after pushing the cricket near his mouth.

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like a goner. J/k i'm not sure, but it seems bad.

kerensky

Arachnopeon
anyone anyone?

gimme hope someone :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

dehaani

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry kerensky, I have no answers. Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your poor 'pede. I'd be gutted.

My S. gigantea keeps falling from his "perch" and I'm always going "you'll break your back, wee man". I thought it was a bit of an ironic thing to say about an invertebrate but it looks like that's exactly what's happened to yours; i.e. damaged nervous system.

Please keep us informed on his progress.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've got a more cynical vision of what happened. It's hard to get in the minds of people that are scared of buggy things but these people want to kill these animals or torture them just to see what happens. I think someone injured it by being kind of cruel to it. Or, it almost got out (hmm, how'd that happen) and they closed the lid on it around it's mid-section. I think they are hiding the true story from you. I'm not trying to stir you up but, point blank, that's how it looks. I've dropped a 9+ inch pede on cement from around 5 feet and it was fine. I was talking to someone years ago where I used to work. They said they had a giant S. h. castaneiceps at a place they used to work. Then, one day it started acting weird and finally died. Then, while we where talking, another guy that used to work at the same place (yea, these two guys used to work at the same place and both work at the same different place now) came in my office. One said, "Hey, remember that big centipede we had at work? Remember when it died?" The other guy said, "Yea, I worked nightshift with some other guys and we would mess with it. We killed it. I would get my cigarette and burn it's head and smash it with a pencil eraser" The other guy got real pissed and walked out. Weird how me liking centipedes put that mystery to an end. I think that guy had wondered what happened to that pede since the late 1970's. Anyway, I think something more serious happened with your pede at work. Just a hunch. I could sure be wrong about that.

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That seems like an excellent scenario that galapo put together. To me it's seems correct. But hope your centipede gets well. Best of luck to you.

kerensky

Arachnopeon
yeah, i'd think someone messed with my pede but nobody's talking and that's the only story i've got.

kind of riles me up actually :evil: ...

i wonder if he'll make it through the weekends.

i'll keep you guys updated.

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Regardless of what happend I hope your centi pulls through man.

Timmy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's pretty screwed. But if it's paralysed atleast he's not in pain. :\

kerensky

Arachnopeon
well people, i'm sorry to say my monster didn't make it :(

went back to my base to check on it and found it limp and beginning to attract small flies.

i wasn't able to smuggle in my camera but i'd describe it's lifeless body as being somewhat faded/bleached where the affected segments are.

well i guess this episode serves as an example of taking care of your lovelies and not leaving them exposed to the evil humans that may cause them harm.

:mad:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ah, damn.

i'm sorry to hear that. that was a real nice looking animal.

i tried to feed too large a roach nymph to a baby S. subspinipes and the roach bit the centipedes back or something... but from that time forward the back 30% or so of the centipede didn't work. it still ate for a bit but died, just like yours.

it's maybe a little morbid, but it is interesting to watch how these critters deal with damage. i had a [thread=66486]bad S. polymorpha molt[/thread] that clogged the first pair of spiracles. the head effectively died over an almost two month period. towards the end when the head was discolored and *obviously* dead the centipede's body was still quite alive, but would walk BACKWARDS! they have very decentralized nervous systems, i think, and this lets kind of creepy effects happen from time to time.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's pretty screwed. But if it's paralysed atleast he's not in pain. :\
no worries. see my post above. their nervous system is pretty alien compared to ours. they don't feel pain as you can kind of see/infer from my zombie centipede story above hehehe

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well people, i'm sorry to say my monster didn't make it :(

went back to my base to check on it and found it limp and beginning to attract small flies.

i wasn't able to smuggle in my camera but i'd describe it's lifeless body as being somewhat faded/bleached where the affected segments are.

well i guess this episode serves as an example of taking care of your lovelies and not leaving them exposed to the evil humans that may cause them harm.

:mad:
:( I'm sorry to hear that mate! I don't think I would be able to remain so tolerant and understanding when my centipede was in perfect health, and all of a sudden when I come back, it's dying and no one wants to tell me the truth, and instead they make up some lie thinking I'll buy that nonsense:evil:

SOMEONE has to be held accountable for your pet's death, your centipede was maliciously screwed up with and murdered when you were not there. I would be so angry and bothered by the fact that no one wants to come forward and tell me the truth, I'd interrogate each, one by one until the truth comes out!{D Hmpff:mad: how dare they kill other people's pets and be too coward to even be considerate enough, to apologize and give you the right to know what happened to your valued belonging:evil: This would just make me think it wasn't an accident, this was planned, and no one is apologizing or sorry that this tragedy happened:mad:

Regards,
Ulrich

Last edited:

Timmy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I see another sign of possible torture. It's first antennae is much shorter then the second.

kerensky

Arachnopeon
thanks people for the encouragement.

i really appreciate our like-minded thinking and our passion for centipedes as well as seeing the perpetrators being brought to a miserable end.

however, due to the lack of people coming forward to help i don't think there's much i can do but remain mistrustful of my colleagues in future. :evil:

may God strike them down! :worship:

once more, thanks to everyone who stepped forward and offered their kind words. as there is no further reason for this topic to be brought forward again, i would kindly request for the mod to close this sad episode in my life.

thank you very much.