Help Sex and possibly ID ???

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
This T might be a juvie but it's about 3" - 3.5" but maybe not.

your wise input ( best you can ) is greatly appreciated

I don't know if it's really what it was labeled??

but I won't say so I don;t sway your input.

I've looked at pics and I don't think they were right... it's more than just color and markings..

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Not the best pics , but ill take a stab at it. My guess is female, and some kinda Eucratoscelus spieces.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
The bottom picture tends to have me thinking a G.rosea possible female

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Tom. Eucratoscelus sp..

At 3"-3 1/2", I'd recon it's oast the juvie stage as these guys don't get much bigger when fully grown.

You probably have a female there as well. Not a guarantee but I don't think a male would get to that size and still be immature. I believe males tend to mature out pretty tiny.

Take care.

Atrax

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Female on the gender, don't have any idea on the species but Gary & Tom know what they're talking about (usually ;))

Nerri1029

Old Timer
I thought female too when I bought it..

COOL

Ahhhhh Eucratoscelus longiceps.. ( holding 'Keepers Guide' )

African Red Rump .. but this ones rump looked almost black to me..
It's rear most patellas ( patelli-ae ?) look like they have furry leg warmers..

but this species is also called a feather leg baboon?? like Stromatopelma calceatum??

hmmmm

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nerri1029 said:
I thought female too when I bought it..

COOL

Ahhhhh Eucratoscelus longiceps.. ( holding 'Keepers Guide' )

African Red Rump .. but this ones rump looked almost black to me..
It's rear most patellas ( patelli-ae ?) look like they have furry leg warmers..

but this species is also called a feather leg baboon?? like Stromatopelma calceatum??

hmmmm
You may have either E. longiceps or E. pachypus. Can't remember what differentiates the two though. Anyone? :?

Forget about common names. They are more hassle than they are worth for the very reason you mentioned. I've also seen Eucratoscelus labeled as "Featherleg Baboon" but there's a pretty big difference between Stromatopelma and your T.
I guess if one were to nitpick about common names, it would be:

Stromatopelma calceatum="Featherleg Baboon"
Eucratoscelus sp.="Stoutleg Baboon"

Still, don't count on many stores to be even remotely close as far as common names go.

Take care.

Atrax

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Atrax said:
You may have either E. longiceps or E. pachypus. Can't remember what differentiates the two though. Anyone? :?

Forget about common names. They are more hassle than they are worth for the very reason you mentioned. I've also seen Eucratoscelus labeled as "Featherleg Baboon" but there's a pretty big difference between Stromatopelma and your T.
I guess if one were to nitpick about common names, it would be:

Stromatopelma calceatum="Featherleg Baboon"
Eucratoscelus sp.="Stoutleg Baboon"

Still, don't count on many stores to be even remotely close as far as common names go.

Take care.

Atrax

longiceps vs. pachypus.. hmmmmm

going to do some searching now :) THANKS Atrax

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I understand...and granted, I could be completly off base here....the E.pachypus is considered the "dwarf" stoutleg, reaching an adult size of roughly 4" whereas the E.longiceps is considered to be the "stoutleg", reaching 5.5 to 6"???? I have a E.pachypus that is about 3 inches now. Her abdomen is quite dark (brown/black) in comparison to the rest of her, especially her carapace (a lighter brown) and of course, those big, fuzzy back legs.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I understand...and granted, I could be completly off base here....the E.pachypus is considered the "dwarf" stoutleg, reaching an adult size of roughly 4" whereas the E.longiceps is considered to be the "stoutleg", reaching 5.5 to 6"???? I have a E.pachypus that is about 3 inches now. Her abdomen is quite dark (brown/black) in comparison to the rest of her, especially her carapace (a lighter brown) and of course, those big, fuzzy back legs.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
E. pachypus or longicepes, looks female and is definitely an Old World Species (African).

Andy

knottyduke

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Metzgerzoo says sorry about the double post. Apparently there were problems last night with posting.

Vasha

Arachnopeon
Here are a couple pics of my G. Rosea, hopefully it'll help you to sex/identify your T.

From the last pic, it was determined on these boards to be a female, which was confirmed(?) when she layed an eggsac about a week 1/2 ago.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Id say E. pachypus, E.constrictus (former E.longiceps) are no were near as incrassate on leg IV and afaik just about impossable too get hold of now days.

Nerri1029

Old Timer
G_Wright said:
looks like Eucratoscelus pachypus to me

I must agree.. that looks JUST LIKE HER ... not quite so big..

THANKS EVERYONE

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine isn't very big either they are a small spider and only grow to about 4 inches or so

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Well she's barely 3" now..

Very cute.. I like the fuzzy legs..