Help! - Phorid flies invade the spider room

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I found a way to use vinegar! I have an empty yogurt container I put about two inches of apple cider vinegar. Above that on the sides I put some clear fly paper window strips. I poked holes in the lid. The fruit flies are attracted to the vinegar, go in through the holes, and get stuck to walls or drown. I'll take a pic when I get home. It has caught a ton!
Now that I haven't tried. I'll be making that when I get home tonight.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Don't have them in my T room but do get them in the kitchen, (sons a vegetarian so lots of fruit/veggie scrap) anyway, looking forward to the pics.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Soooo... it turns out my mom just threw away the fruit fly trap because it had been sitting for a few weeks and was starting to get smelly. So unfortunately I cant post pics, but I can assure you it worked really well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can speak from heavy experience when I say that this doesn't work at all. I tried all of the home remedies that are a variant on this (vinegar, apple cider, apple cider vinegar, dish soap, sugar water, wine, etc). None work, they're all myths in my opinion.

The only thing that worked was a fly strip hanging next to a bright light overnight. Combine that with a complete substrate change of any humid species. While you're at it, mix in some peat moss into the substrate - the acidity makes it impossible for fly larvae to survive in the future.

How do you know the peat moss was helpful, as opposed to another variable? This is interesting info. Not that I don't believe you, just wanted to see if you knew more behind that statement.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
How do you know the peat moss was helpful, as opposed to another variable? This is interesting info. Not that I don't believe you, just wanted to see if you knew more behind that statement.
I reached out to an old entomology professor specifically asking what to do about the flies. I knew that she studied and kept hundred of millipedes, so I knew that she'd have some advice on flies. The peat moss was her suggestion, and the acidity was her explanation. She told me that the acidity doesn't prevent the flies from laying eggs, but it does prevent the eggs from turning into larva.

Given that this thread is a bit old, I've refined what I do to deal with flies. The peat moss definitely still works, but I've also added iron-rich sand to humid enclosures. I gather this extremely fine red sand from a hiking trail that I frequent - the trail is called Red Stone, and it's only red because of the high iron concentration. I have no idea why that prevents flies from breeding, but only a few tablespoons of the stuff per enclosure does the trick. I haven't seen any harmful side effects for the tarantulas either, and I've even used it with slings.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I reached out to an old entomology professor specifically asking what to do about the flies. I knew that she studied and kept hundred of millipedes, so I knew that she'd have some advice on flies. The peat moss was her suggestion, and the acidity was her explanation. She told me that the acidity doesn't prevent the flies from laying eggs, but it does prevent the eggs from turning into larva.

Given that this thread is a bit old, I've refined what I do to deal with flies. The peat moss definitely still works, but I've also added iron-rich sand to humid enclosures. I gather this extremely fine red sand from a hiking trail that I frequent - the trail is called Red Stone, and it's only red because of the high iron concentration. I have no idea why that prevents flies from breeding, but only a few tablespoons of the stuff per enclosure does the trick. I haven't seen any harmful side effects for the tarantulas either, and I've even used it with slings.

This is very interesting. Red sand...I may have to get some from you! What are you using besides peat moss, top soil I take it?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This is very interesting. Red sand...I may have to get some from you! What are you using besides peat moss, top soil I take it?
Yep, top soil. I mix about 50/50 peat moss and topsoil for any species that'll be even a little humid. For arid species, straight topsoil. Flies breed like mad in straight topsoil when kept moist.

If you want some sand, I can send it with your springtails. Welcome to the wonderful world of fly infestations :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@boina, I'd like your opinion on this bit. No literary sources needed, I'm even interested in speculation. Why would this sand make a difference? Is it the iron, perhaps becoming toxic at high levels? Any guesses?

boina

Lady of the mites
@boina, I'd like your opinion on this bit. No literary sources needed, I'm even interested in speculation. Why would this sand make a difference? Is it the iron, perhaps becoming toxic at high levels? Any guesses?
Actually I've no clue. Red iron is actually iron(III)oxide and most animals are not able to make use of it. The bioactive iron is iron(II)oxide and it's black. There's some stuff about iron overload being dangerous for humans but it's not well documented. Generally iron is not included in any list of toxic minerals, so I've no clue how this would work, sorry :sorry: