Help! My Widow has turned into humpty dumpty for the past 4 days. Image attached

Jimmy Jamblez

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I'm in need of advice. For the past 4 days one of my widows (Red Back) has been acting strange. She's out of her web, on the floor and cannot move around much. This all happened after her last big meal. I have to admit, I have overfed her a bit.

Is she dying? I've had her for over a year now.
She still walks around but she isn't climbing up or making web like before.
I've been giving her a droplet of water by hand every couple of days since this happened and she seems to drink it all but she's really "lazy" right now.

Has any one else seen or experienced this with their latro?

At times I've considered euthanizing her by placing her in the freezer to put her out of her misery but she seems to be "recovering" and becoming a bit more active each day since she first started acting like this.

Right now I've placed her on top of a small tea towel to help her move around as her terrarium was slippery.

Hope to get some help.

Here is a GIF of what she's doing when she's sitting on her big belly. But most of the time she's walking around still.

spidey.gif

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
I admit I'm not too familiar with true spiders but I just wanted to say that from research that I've done when it comes to euthanization of arachnids a better way to go is to just squish the animal with a brick. When you freeze the animal they don't die immediately.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Abdomen appears extremely distended. Way way over fed or other? Latro outside web for an extended period of time is history in my book. The web is their life.

Jimmy Jamblez

Arachnopeon
Thank you for taking the time to reply guys.

She's still alive it's been 5 days now. She hasn't gotten worse but she hasn't exactly improved and returned back to normal yet. One thing's for sure, I won't be overfeeding them again.

I do hope she improves. I hate seeing her like this.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I wouldn't feed that thing for a good while lol let it live off the mass supply in it already until it slims down some.

Not sure why you'd want to power feed a black widow but as we can see its not a good idea.