Help, My P metallica is on hunger strike a week after rehousing

Lib

Arachnopeon
Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

I am really worried about my p metallica, I had it for a year and now its about more than 5 cm. I rehoused it about 5 days ago and it has refused to eat. the last meal it had was about a week ago, the last molt was about last month.

I does goes up and down the bark at the corner but I did not see it explore the whole tank. I am worried it had too much stress during the rehousing, it fell about 3 times at a height of 25cm when I shook the box which I placed as a perimeter when I rehoused (because it was fast on escaping) I didnt not handle it though except nudge it until it climbed up the new tank)

I am worried it has not eaten, I placed a fly beneath the vertical bark where it hid and it paid no attention. I placed a dead roach on the top of bark, it has been climbing but still no luck. this morning I dropped the roach directly to where it is hiding and the roach is just there on top of its head.

Help

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Please provide a picture of the T. and the enclosure. Details are helpful, but pictures give us an insight.

Lib

Arachnopeon
It crawled down to this position when it felt I was openning the tank.

There's the dead roach on top of its head, there's the dead and dried fly outside the bark. these used to be its favorite food.

Did it traumatize it with the rehousing?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I does goes up and down the bark at the corner but I did not see it explore the whole tank.
Whole tank? Its 2", how big of an enclosure is it in? post a pic of the whole enclosure.

At that size I would still have it in a 32oz deli cup.

If its plump, it doesn't need food...period.

That said, if ventilation is low and moisture levels are even moderate, it can cause issues, and the first thing you would see is a refusal to eat.

Lib

Arachnopeon
its an 8"X12" and 8" tall enclosure, with a vertical bark and a horizontal bark (it was used to burrowing under a bark)

It was my brother's idea because he was nervous seeing me feed my tarantula in a very small container, sometimes it does crawl up to the lid

I think it has made its personal space on the corner behind this bark for the past 5 days

Today is march 13th, last meal it had on its old enclosure was last march 6th then before that march 1st. with roaches the same size as the one on its head right now. Molted last february (I remember taking the old skin out of feb 24th)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Ok, issues with the set up...aside from it being ungodly large (which doesn't exactly make things easy for the t), it needs work. Pokies are drought tolerant, but that looks bone dry and way way too barren. Add cover, especially around the base of the wood and add a water dish. Also keep part of the sub damp, and moisten after it dries out.

Now, I don't get your concern about eating, it just ate on the 6th....if that much time between meals worries you, then you really need to feed a whole lot less often, its not a mammal, it doesn't need food all that regularly. If it doesn't want to eat, then simply don't feed it.

NYAN

Arachnoking
its an 8"X12" and 8" tall enclosure, with a vertical bark and a horizontal bark (it was used to burrowing under a bark)

It was my brother's idea because he was nervous seeing me feed my tarantula in a very small container, sometimes it does crawl up to the lid

I think it has made its personal space on the corner behind this bark for the past 5 days

Today is march 13th, last meal it had on its old enclosure was last march 6th then before that march 1st. with roaches the same size as the one on its head right now. Molted last february (I remember taking the old skin out of feb 24th)
Hi.

That really isn’t suitable enclosure for it. As @cold blood suggested, a 32 oz deli cup or something similar in size would be most appropriate. Also, the wood in there doesn’t exactly provide the best type of cover for it. A flat piece of cork bark leaned against the side of the container or even a tube would work better. Also, I don’t see a waterdish, which is important. Lastly, what kind of substrate is that?

Lib

Arachnopeon
I didn't put a waterdish because it was living without a waterdish for a whole year in its old container. I mist it regularly though.

The substrate is soil, cocopeat and mostly fine coconut sawdust. Now you guys have mentioned it, it does look dry.

And I was hoping it would dig under the bigger wood because that's exactly how its old burrow looked like before.

The tank has an acrylic lid cover, with holes, I cover the all sides of the tank with cardboard when I am not viewing, the bigger wood has a small hollow chamber, I was hoping it would find its way there, then now I know the tank is too big for it to wander.

Lib

Arachnopeon
I dampened the substrate and placed a water dish. I nudged it awhile ago it didn't move, I nudged it again and it bolted to the topmost corner in high speed.

At least I got rid of the roach on top of its head.

Anyway thanks.