help, millipede noob

karalan

Arachnopeon
hi, i have 2 giant african millipedes, male and female . they are currently housed in my, old 25 litre fish tank, which measures aprox 12inch by 12inch. i have around 3inch of soil in there, heat mat on outside of tank at the back. is this tank sufficient for them? thanks

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Sufficient, maybe, but definitely not ideal. The pedes will be condemned to walk in a continual circle with little or no variation.

This is OK if you don't place a high priority on breeding, but I would give them more space so they feel more inclined to produce little ones. Certainly they will not suffer in such an enclosure, but it is not ideal. I am not an experienced keeper, but if you just want them to admire, this tank is sufficient. They might even breed in there, I do not have the experience to make a definite judgment.

---------- Post added 02-23-2012 at 09:36 AM ----------

They also like more soil to burrow in, but 3" is sufficient for keeping. Make sure the pedes do not experience temperatures over 28 C for extended periods.

karalan

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your reply, and advice, they were an impulse buy as was fascinated by them, but of course we dont want them to suffer in any way. We are looking to upgrade their home in the future, to something bigger, I just wanted reassurance that they werent suffering for the time being. One other thing, they were over run with spider mites when we brought them, is this a problem, and is there away of getting rid of them, they look really annoying for them....thanks again.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I think those mites are symbiotic and only live on the millipede. You can use a paint brush to flick them off, they will die without the pede I am told.

b smithi

Arachnopeon
Those pedes naturally have some mites on them. They actually need them, I do believe. I wouldn't worry about them.