Help me save my Stirmi!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Do you know how isopods and springtails don't disturb the tarantula during molt? As far as I know everything literally stresses tarantulas when they're near by the tarantula that's why never felt comfortable with adding them in enclosure. If worker sold me topsoil after telling what I exactly want how can I know if it's exactly what I want or if it still might have chemicals?
Here you can see the springtails crossing nearby during the last molt from last week. They won't disturb the T at all, and regarding the isopods, they stay away from the T or any webed zone. I have 4 isopods species, Porcelilo Laevis, Porcellio pruinosus, normal and oranges and tropical dwarf isopods Trichorhina tormentosa. I'd use the last ones if you only want one single specie, since they are pretty hardy and they thrive very well in topsoil.

View attachment molting.MP4

To check the topsoil, the best thing is to read the ingredients. You can explain them that there is for a vivarium and that some chemicals will kill your Ts, to prevent any unwanted topsoil offer. You can also make a test with a cricket.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If worker sold me topsoil after telling what I exactly want how can I know if it's exactly what I want or if it still might have chemicals?
The label will note if there are any additives in it, always check the label as an employee may not be aware

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
Do you know how isopods and springtails don't disturb the tarantula during molt? As far as I know everything literally stresses tarantulas when they're near by the tarantula that's why never felt comfortable with adding them in enclosure. If worker sold me topsoil after telling what I exactly want how can I know if it's exactly what I want or if it still might have chemicals?
The cheaper top soil you buy, they aren't going to add anything to it. ;)

Avoid the "Miracle" stuff and just get dirt. You'll be good. :)

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
I had problems with coco fiber too, mold growing even with good ventilation.

Topsoil is basically the layer of substrate where they live in the nature, so I don't think there is a better substrate than this.

Adding springtails, isopods and earthworms do the trick. They work wonders on topsoil. I two years I never changed the substrate...
So I've been mixing peat moss, topsoil, and coco fiber. Equal parts of each and get a really nice substrate. Once I run out of the coco fiber, I'll most likely drop it. Maybe mix in a bit of sand. We'll see.

So, about your live terrariums? I'm interested as hell. Is there a good go to resource on doing them?

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
The cheaper top soil you buy, they aren't going to add anything to it. ;)

Avoid the "Miracle" stuff and just get dirt. You'll be good. :)
Thankfully it didn't happen yet but since coco fiber has reputation for molding can it spread the mold on cork bark too?

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
Thankfully it didn't happen yet but since coco fiber has reputation for molding can it spread the mold on cork bark too?
Anything is possible, but I would doubt it unless you really soaked/saturated the cork bark as well.

And yeah, read the label on the bag of topsoil. It will tell you the deal. :cool:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
So I've been mixing peat moss, topsoil, and coco fiber. Equal parts of each and get a really nice substrate. Once I run out of the coco fiber, I'll most likely drop it. Maybe mix in a bit of sand. We'll see.

So, about your live terrariums? I'm interested as hell. Is there a good go to resource on doing them?
I read a lot of rfuk and dendroboards post, and compared the info of them to make my own ones. Feel free to ask any question! 😉

iFryingPan

Arachnopeon
I will redo her enclosure this weekend with everyone's recommendations, thanks everyone! I hope she pulls through!

Someone asked for molt pictures, these are the only ones I have. I work for Ace Hardware Distribution Center and we sell top soil and moss, I'm going to see what we have then check other places if we don't carry what I will need. Feel free to look at their site and let me know of you have any soil suggestions as I'm at work now.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I will redo her enclosure this weekend with everyone's recommendations, thanks everyone! I hope she pulls through!

Someone asked for molt pictures, these are the only ones I have. I work for Ace Hardware Distribution Center and we sell top soil and moss, I'm going to see what we have then check other places if we don't carry what I will need. Feel free to look at their site and let me know of you have any soil suggestions as I'm at work now.
Can you remove the carapace a bit? It's to see if the sucking stomach is still intact.

iFryingPan

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately the molt was destroyed a long time ago because my husband sat something on it and smooshed it to pieces 🙄 she has to be eating though she only has 4 crickets left out of 24. Anyway like I said im fixing the enclosure today after work when i figure out which topsoil to buy (brand, specifications, pesticide free) I have a cork bark hide. Im going to add a lot more holes to the tube sides and top, and just keep and eye on her and pray.

Wait, I dont remember seeing that little thing when I looked at. She molted on 12-20-20

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Wait, I dont remember seeing that little thing when I looked at. She molted on 12-20-20
In that case that could be the reason why her abdomen is shriveling, and the conditions could have worsened her symptoms. By now keep her moist, to reduce further dehydration.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
If prey items were consumed, sucking stomach is not the issue.
But what if they were only munched and disposed?

I hope that the stomach is intact and the cause may be a severe dehydration.

She only ate 20 crickets since molt? Maybe that could be the issue too.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I would suggest holding off on major enclosure changes until it starts looking better. You just need to leave it alone and monitor. Offer it a cricket or two, or something that actually moves, once a week to find out if starts eating.

iFryingPan

Arachnopeon
Whew good news at last. I checked on her just now and her abdomen is looking better but shes definitely in premolt you can see the dark spots now. Disregard my panic about the sucking stomach I do believe she ate and it looks like she's been drinking been having to top off the dish every day. Husband has been checking on her too and says she's looking better do I have a second opinion. I just think her recovery is going to take a while.