Help me round out my sling collection - asking for 2 to 4 ideas

What is your favorite display tarantula? (please comment if another species)

• Total voters

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't updated my species list, but 8-10 years ago, I started keeping Ts, both OW and NW (after about 10 years previous NW experience). Most of those slings from 2010 grew to adulthood, but have bought some new slings in the past couple months. I am looking to add another 2-4 slings to this collection, and would like your suggestions for good species for display.

Slings I currently have:
P. regalis
L. violaceopes
G. pulchra
G. albopilosum (Nicaraguan and Honduran)
N. chromatus
L. parahybana

I'm interested in beauty or interesting behavior, prefer to avoid pet rocks or pet holes. Can you vote for species listed below (up to three) or add any favorites not listed in the comments?

Thanks in advance!

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I have GBB and A. geniculata and both of them IMO would be considered a display species. For the third choice, I would say Xenesthis species (don’t currently have one but have a sp. Blue coming next week), or G. iheringi. Don’t have an iheringi but I had planned on getting one as people who have them only have positive things to say.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
B. boehmei
C. versicolor
GBB
P. platyomma (any male pampho is gorgeous, really)
D. diamantinensis
I'll also throw B. emilia in there, just because I think their pattern is so cool.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B. boehmei
C. versicolor
GBB
P. platyomma (any male pampho is gorgeous, really)
D. diamantinensis
I'll also throw B. emilia in there, just because I think their pattern is so cool.
Thank you for the list. Your PHOTOS are amazing!!!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
If you really want interesting, might I recommend a P. atrichromatus or P. cancerides, they may not be the most colorful but they are definitely not boring, pet rocks.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you really want interesting, might I recommend a P. atrichromatus or P. cancerides, they may not be the most colorful but they are definitely not boring, pet rocks.
Thank you! Looking into those now. :)

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Geniculata, Pamphobeteus, G. iheringi, and Xenesthis. I like all of them pretty much equally.
AC6D2047-73D9-4417-867B-C973E5B9D5A9.jpeg
481D971C-A274-4818-B5E0-697F125D5780.jpeg
99176B82-9925-48AD-B67E-CA9EA7F411DF.jpeg
10488136-B8C0-48BE-8AFB-B2082D8C8801.jpeg

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Geniculata, Pamphobeteus, G. iheringi, and Xenesthis. I like all of them pretty much equally.
View attachment 276031
View attachment 276032
View attachment 276033
View attachment 276035
Those are gorgeous! All yours? What species is the third one? Pamphobeteus antinous? Female? It is beautiful.

I'm still open for suggestions. Guess I'm not stopping at 2-4. I just placed an order with Fear Not Tarantulas yesterday. :) I will be receiving the following tomorrow:

Ceratogyrus balfouri
Heteropoda davidbowie - which is really cool looking
Monocentrus balfouri
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Mystery Spider (Myles MVP) - which I hope turns out to be a female L violaceopes because I think the one I have is male

TODAY is the last day to order one of five Mystery Spiders from FNT, LOL

Regarding some of your GREAT suggestions,
Realizing A. gen is a great spider, I already have N. chromatus, which to me seems comparable
As far as docile pet tarantula, I have G. pulcra and two B. albopilosum, so I think I'm good for now as far as mellow, NW terrestrials are concerned
Definitely considering T. stirmi, P. atrichromatus or P. cancerides... doing my research
I've raised GBB from spiderlings, I do like them, but am looking for Ts I haven't raised before, except for a few favorites like L violaceopes, L parahybana
Planning to eventually get Pamphobeteus, Xenesthis, and/or G. iheringi, still researching

Last edited by a moderator:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
If you like L. violaceopes, what about some of the others from Lampropelma?

Like L. nigerrimum:

Or L. nigerrimum arboricola (AKA L. sp. Borneo Black):

:D

Minty

@londontarantulas
I don’t know about other posters, but my OBT is always out and makes a great display species.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those are awfully nice! Thank you for the suggestion!

If you like L. violaceopes, what about some of the others from Lampropelma?

Like L. nigerrimum:

Or L. nigerrimum arboricola (AKA L. sp. Borneo Black):

:D
I don’t know about other posters, but my OBT is always out and makes a great display species.
I had an OBT for years, really liked it a lot. That and H mac were my first baboons. I love them both, but at the moment, I'd like to explore some other interesting baboons. I'm getting S. balfouri and C. darlingi slings tomorrow.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those are gorgeous! All yours? What species is the third one? Pamphobeteus antinous? Female? It is beautiful.
Yes, all mine :D
The third one is Pamphobeteus sp. Machala. She is 7” now, and very bulky. Super cool spider.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The third one is Pamphobeteus sp. Machala. She is 7” now, and very bulky. Super cool spider.
Love her! I know now what one of my next ones will be! You have gorgeous Ts, Olan!

I also have a Pamphobeteus sp. Machala in order. ;)

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I think I have all I need - I decided to get a communal set of M. balfouri (5 more) as well as all the others mentioned, and a P. regius jumping spider.