help me ID this please?

skilletsteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A friend of mine does landscaping and knows I have a few Ts so when he saw this spider with a sack he caught it for me. I'm going to nab it from him tomorrow but here is a picture. As of now my friend just has it in a deli cup with a little dirt from the area he found it in at the bottom, what kind of setup would this need (if i should keep it at all).

edit: also he says with legs its a little bigger than a quarter. found in Southeast Michigan.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dolomedes sp. I believe.

Edit: If that is what others believe it to be as well there are some threads in this section currently that have wonderful care info.

skilletsteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so that would make this a semi-aquatic spider... I'm not sure If i can deal with keeping this then, especially since it is gravid i'm not sure how the care would look for a bunch of little fishing spids.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
doesn't take much to please these spiders. a gallon jar, some bugs, a misting a couple times a week and you're good to go.

skilletsteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
does anyone know if i will have issues when this sack hatches? I've never dealt with this type of thing before and if it will be a huge problem I'll just release it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Assuming it is a Dolodomes, which i'm not 100% convinced of (although it looks like it could be) they make a nursery web to contain the slings as they hatch through 2nd instar. As true spideys go the slings are relatively containable and aren't like, impossibly tiny. They look sort of like baby tarantulas actually. They will break out of the nursery soon enough though and will be crawling everywhere.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
could a clearer or at leat less light phot be gotten of the spider? it could be a dol, but the idea of it carrying around a sac rather then a nursey web throws this off. most of the spiders I see carry sacs in this fashion are wolfs.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had a D tenebrosus who made a sac in captivity. She carried it around for a week or so and didn't make the nursery web until just before the slings were ready to emerge. Dunno if this is always the way they do but that's how she did it that time.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of theo ne in my care have made a net placed he sac within and waited till hatching, didnt do much of caryring at all. it may however be dependent on the sp of dol, and the locale? either way the picture is simply not good enough to give an average body shape, and size to Id with, which isnt alot to go on.

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think that's a Dolomedes sp., but rather a Pisaurina mira (same family as Dolomedes). Pisaurina also makes a nursery web, so care of the hatchlings doesn't differ from what others have said.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think that's a Dolomedes sp., but rather a Pisaurina mira (same family as Dolomedes). Pisaurina also makes a nursery web, so care of the hatchlings doesn't differ from what others have said.
Hmm, well Pisaurina doesn't have the leg banding that the spider in this photo is showing (as pretty much all Dolomedes do) I know the photo has some exaggerated contrast going on but i'm thinking if it was Pisaurina, the legs would look solidly colored.

Just my opinion. :}