Help me choose a spider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maus

Arachnopeon
All right, all right. I get it, i get it. It's now personal for some of you. That's fine to me. Get nervous. Give more hate. You are the only one being affected anyway, and I like that. Fools always get themselves killed.

Eh, well its was nice to talk about all that useless stuff about morality, most of you got nervous and I had some good laughs here. I thank everyone who recommend spiders, I'll get further in this hobby with the help that you guys gave me and I'll have my T shred many live mice, fish, little birds and some other baby animals easy and legal to come by.

Now, unless you guys want to discuss any more recommendations, I will abandon this thread. I've had my fun, and I must return to my duties. Thanks for all the kind help.

Last edited by a moderator:

clive 82

Arachnoknight
When the meat in my burger comes from a cow that died a slow, agonising death; you might have a leg to stand on with that argument.

Yeah, I understand you're either a troll or you're a seriously sick individual. I don't think you should post on these forums anymore and I don't think anyone else should give you their time either.
The latter I think.

All right, all right. I get it, i get it. It's now personal for some of you. That's fine to me. Get nervous. Give more hate. You are the only one being affected anyway, and I like that. Fools always get themselves killed.

Eh, well its was nice to talk about all that useless stuff about morality and shit, most of you got nervous and I had some good laughs here. I thank everyone who recommend spiders, I'll get further in this hobby with the help that you guys gave me and I'll have my T shred many live mice, fish, little birds and some other baby animals easy and legal to come by.

Now, unless you guys want to discuss any more recommendations, I will abandon this thread. I've had my fun, and I must return to my duties. Thanks for all the kind help.
Good riddance!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Nervous? :rofl: Please. It takes more than the online babbling of someone who clearly needs to compensate for his lacking....personality, to make me nervous.

I had my own fun watching you ooze ignorance and counterfeit confidence. Buh bye. ;)

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
Interesting. People on internet forums really do go all out. It must be the protection of their PC screens, that give you all this gall to say whatever you think - no matter; I couldn't care less about this little rant. I'm here for info, not for digital friends nor to socialize.
You baited me to make my first post!

Let's not turn this into a philosophy debate, and lets discuss with reason. The bottomline is you asked people for suggestions, and most people give theirs based on their experiences. You could feed whatever you can to your spider and no one can do anything about it. Heck, you could buy a live chicken, cut the chest open, and feed the still beating chicken heart to your spider. At the end of the day, it's your money. Personally, I secretly hate people who don't properly train their dogs, but hey, its their dog and none of my business.

I am fascinated by the fact that giant tarantulas can hunt down small rodents or birds, and I watch some of the footage on youtube. However, I would never feed mice to my tarantulas. Have you thought about why you are obsessed with feeding a live mouse? Heres my argument.

First, rodents are really not that much nutritious. It is unnecessary when you can feed them insects. Crickets/roaches/worms are much more economical.

Second, did you think about the additional maintenance work you need to do if you feed a animal with "flesh and bones". How long do you think the corpse decompose? What about the blood of mice that gets absorbed into the substrate? Are you willing to spend a lot more time doing rehousing because of the substrate is incubating bacteria/fungi and attracting flies?

Third, live mice could harm your spider. Of course you could tie up the mouse, but have you thought about the possibility of the mouse break loose? But more importantly, tying up the mouse completely defeats the purpose of feeding live mouse. If the mouse cant move, what difference does it make whether you feed it with a live mouse, dead mouse, or even a piece of raw beef. I enjoy those lion/cheetah hunting documentaries; if the lion/cheetah hunt on tied up zebras/wilder beasts, I would not enjoy the videos.

I hope you understand the argument that I am trying to make. If you still decide to feed live mice, go ahead and do it. I think the $300+ that you will spend could have been used better somewhere else.

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire

Eh, well its was nice to talk about all that useless stuff about morality and shit, most of you got nervous and I had some good laughs here. I thank everyone who recommend spiders, I'll get further in this hobby with the help that you guys gave me and I'll have my T shred many live mice, fish, little birds and some other baby animals easy and legal to come by.

not gonna insult you but if you want to see live animals get shredded, tarantulas are not for you.
They rarely attack birds and fish. They might eat mice but they eat incredibly slow and they don't shred the, at all. All they do is bite and them suck their insides. Plus the only reason to own a tarantula is to watch it kill stuff isn't really responsible and not really fair for the animal and tarantula. I remember you said something about using pets as puppets and there you are,
Watching a tarantula kill a not really helpless animal. Mice are savages, birds are savages, fish are savages. They will kill the tarantula

DeadSouls

Arachnopeon
Did a spider steal your toys as a child or something?

Maus

Arachnopeon
You baited me to make my first post!

Let's not turn this into a philosophy debate, and lets discuss with reason. The bottomline is you asked people for suggestions, and most people give theirs based on their experiences. You could feed whatever you can to your spider and no one can do anything about it. Heck, you could buy a live chicken, cut the chest open, and feed the still beating chicken heart to your spider. At the end of the day, it's your money. Personally, I secretly hate people who don't properly train their dogs, but hey, its their dog and none of my business.

I am fascinated by the fact that giant tarantulas can hunt down small rodents or birds, and I watch some of the footage on youtube. However, I would never feed mice to my tarantulas. Have you thought about why you are obsessed with feeding a live mouse? Heres my argument.

First, rodents are really not that much nutritious. It is unnecessary when you can feed them insects. Crickets/roactgeh/worms are much more economical.

Second, did you think about the additional maintenance work you need to do if you feed a animal with "flesh and bones". How long do you think the corpse decompose? What about the blood of mice that gets absorbed into the substrate? Are you willing to spend a lot more time doing rehousing because of the substrate is incubating bacteria/fungi and attracting flies?

Third, live mice could harm your spider. Of course you could tie up the mouse, but have you thought about the possibility of the mouse break loose? But more importantly, tying up the mouse completely defeats the purpose of feeding live mouse. If the mouse cant move, what difference does it make whether you feed it with a live mouse, dead mouse, or even a piece of raw beef. I enjoy those lion/cheetah hunting documentaries; if the lion/cheetah hunt on tied up zebras/wilder beasts, I would not enjoy the videos.

I hope you understand the argument that I am trying to make. If you still decide to feed live mice, go ahead and do it. I think the $300+ that you will spend could have been used better somewhere else.
You got some good points. I think I may just wanna see the mice suffer for hours on end while they die a miserable death. The spider is just the puppet executioner. If the spider get killed... well, I'll always be able to come by another one I suppose.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
I think these are some of the most entertaining threads. The guy talking about tying up and torturing mice is accusing everyone else of being internet tough guys.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
"You wouldn't DARE say that to my face! I've tied up a lot of mice in my time, and once I kicked a girl scout!"

Swoop

Arachnosquire
I realize Maus is trying to insult moxie but I also don't think he understands her use of quotation marks.

If that pic is indeed of yourself, then It's definitely true.
Okay you're done fighting with moxie! Me next me next! :)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I didn't go through the whole thread, have you thought about arboreal spiders?
Then he'd have to feed it bats.

It's a troll folks. Just not a very good one.In my opinion, a good troll doesn't tip their hand as quickly. Sure, that's the best way to suck people in, but they are not fooled. I'd prefer trolldom myself, rather than somebody who obviously doesn't care about keeping a spider. Actual keepers make all efforts to ensure that nothing harms their spider. We WORRY about them.
Most if not all reptile keepers prefer to feed pre-killed whenever possible. The mice are humanely dispatched, pose no threat to the animal, which are often valuable specimens. Monetarily speaking, they'd prefer not to lose their investment. In addition to the fact that the vet bill for treating an animal on which the tables have been turned which, can be very costly indeed. Comparing mice to hamburger was another tip-off, nobody is so stupid to make a correlation between meat-eating and feeding live prey. except for a troll.
I'd guess a kid, or a disgruntled adult who got spanked here for some other stupid (but legitimate question, in their mind anyway). This is not a particularly clever one, those I can at least respect their ability. Sure, he got a response, which is a troll's goal, but the really good ones are stealthier, less heavy-handed.
And what would be the benefit of tying up a mouse to immobilize it and feeding it pre-killed? Sure it would squirm a bit, but where is the thrill of the kill you desire? Booooring! And a boring troll, for not even being original. Did he really think that trolling with animal abuse posts is anywhere near an original idea? Yawn. It's like the people who go bug ARAs about eating meat.

"Maus" is also a graphic novel about the Holocaust, by the way. In case nobody has made that observation yet.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Allow me to break down the reasons why using mice to feed the tarantula is a bad idea. And the calcium thing is a myth, before I start.

1. The fact that mice are dangerous and strong prey that can badly injure or kill the tarantula. Even the largest tarantulas could be bit a few times while fighting a mouse.

"But I can use prekilled mice, or pinky mice." Yes you can, but there are more problems.

2. Since tarantulas eat by slowly liquefying their food, it could take as long as a few days for them to eat the entire mouse. And since mice are mammals with flesh and blood and bone, during that time they will begin to rot, grow mold, and stink horribly. And trust me, rotting mouse smells bad. Like, really bad. Not to mention, I wouldn't want my tarantula to eat meat that is rotting and possibly has lots of harmful bacteria festering inside it. Also, the mouse has a lot of chunks that are undigestable, so the tarantula will just leave them on the ground after it's done eating. Those pieces will stay there and rot and stink until you pick them out, then you have to dispose of them.

3. A mouse is a HUGE meal, enough to fill the tarantula's stomach for months and months. The best part of having tarantulas is feeding them. And if you use mice, then the tarantula will probably only eat, I'll be generous here, four times PER YEAR. If you use roaches, crickets, or superworms, you can feed them twice a week at most and it'll be an awesome thing to watch. Especially if you get a super hungry species like you seem to want, such as the Lasiodora parahybana or the Acanthoscurria geniculata.

I hope you get what you're looking for, but remember that using mice to feed the tarantula isn't smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.