Help me choose a spider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maus

Arachnopeon
That doesn't even work for a plant!
Well... it has worked for my cactus for 12 years now. I planted it on the ground and It goes strong to this day (despite the rains). Looks pretty healthy also. Don't really think that's gonna be the same with the spider though...

This thread has become,i don't know...strange.Tie up a mouse???.
I believe you have not grasped the reason we keep T,s.And please don't take that personally.
Its just every thing you've said and asked,leads me to believe,this is not for you.
Ummm... I live alone so there's no one else thay could be for. I don't know, using mice as livestock is legal, so there's basically nothing wrong with it. If it will injure yhe T, then I just have to make sure it doesn't move and problem solved. I don't get how is this strange. The T is a pet. The mice is food (dangerous food). So I make it safe for the T's sake. How is this bad?

Last edited by a moderator:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Ummm... I live alone so there's no one else thay could be for. I don't know, using mice as livestock is legal, so there's basically nothing wrong with it. If it will injure yhe T, then I just have to make sure it doesn't move and problem solved. I don't get how is this strange. The T is a pet. The mice is food (dangerous food). So I make it safe for the T's sake. How is this bad?
What was a red flag to me was your posting that you wanted to feed mice to a T because it seemed cool. Please don't go by what is posted on YouTube to decide what is a good idea or not! Certainly, there are many helpful videos, but also a lot of sensationalism and people endangering themselves and/or animals to get views. :( As for leaving the tarantula on its own, a few weeks would be no problem but months would be a bit much. Yes, a T may decide to sequester itself in its burrow and not eat for that long but it is your responsibility to make sure it has fresh water when it does come out and at least check once a month if it needs food (this may be insufficient for some species and slings still growing).

I would HIGHLY recommend that you get "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Schultz and Schultz. This book was extremely helpful to me and many other first getting into the hobby and I still reference mine. :) It will give you an overview of what the care requirements are of different species at different life stages and covers feeding, including a discussion on using mice as feeders and the best ways to do so.

1GiantIsopod

Arachnopeon
Hey, I’m new to the hobby. I wanted some advice on what spider should I get. There are some requirements that it must meet, and I got a little confused while watching vids around.

First thing is that it MUST be a spiderling. I wanna see its development through the years. I also don’t have much time, so second is that it MUST require minimum maintenance, like feeding very few times, cleaning and watering rarely. Third and last, it has to be BIG. As big as I can get in fact, with the most awesome colors as well.

That being said what would be the spider that roughly fits within these requirements, and what's stopping me from getting a theraphosa blondi (if I can find one)?
Go for it, I’m fairly new to the hobby as well almost 2 months old in, and my first T that I’ve started with is a T. Stirmi :) but in my case I get constant help from arachnid scientists in raising her, yes a female I paid $80 CB sub-adult as well, we feed her crickets, different kinds of worms and other small roaches, etc. Replicating almost her natural wild diet and keep it in rotation this may benefit for her stunt grow size later on.
I’ll be making a post soon of my Stirmi, I’ve been busy with class and other dilemmas that I haven’t had the time to post here for a bit.
Go with what your heart desires but make sure to establish a basic foundation on your species husbandry requirements and do your HW! :)

Maus

Arachnopeon
What was a red flag to me was your posting that you wanted to feed mice to a T because it seemed cool. Please don't go by what is posted on YouTube to decide what is a good idea or not! Certainly, there are many helpful videos, but also a lot of sensationalism and people endangering themselves and/or animals to get views. :( As for leaving the tarantula on its own, a few weeks would be no problem but months would be a bit much. Yes, a T may decide to sequester itself in its burrow and not eat for that long but it is your responsibility to make sure it has fresh water when it does come out and at least check once a month if it needs food (this may be insufficient for some species and slings still growing).

I would HIGHLY recommend that you get "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Schultz and Schultz. This book was extremely helpful to me and many other first getting into the hobby and I still reference mine. :) It will give you an overview of what the care requirements are of different species at different life stages and covers feeding, including a discussion on using mice as feeders and the best ways to do so.
Maybe, but you gotta admit that a spider taking down mice, an animal made of "flesh and bones" is truly amazing. Anyway, thanks for the book recommendation. I like to read, and books are a very familiar way to gather knowledge.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
The problem is T. blondi and T. stirmi need to be checked on a couple times a week because their substrate cannot dry out. They need their water changed frequently because they poop and drag unfinished prey into it. Mold can grow in these environments, and quickly so you have to be on the look out for that and do substrate changes if it gets too bad. Big tarantulas need to be fed more often as well. You can't throw 7 roaches in once a week and leave it because you can't be sure they won't nibble on your tarantula.

Whatever flyer you got is just plain wrong. Are there Ts you could leave for months? Sure, G. porteri are pretty hardy and can go on year long fasts.

The issue with feeding vertebrates is that a tarantula's venom causes them excruciating pain, and slow deaths. Feed as many pre-killed mice as you want, but feeding them live mice is animal cruelty. Do people feed snakes live animals? Yes. But most snakes need to eat vertebrates. You just want to feed a tarantula a mouse because you want to see a show.

What you're describing is a terrible scenario for any pet. I'd advise you to put some googly eyes on your cactus and spoon feed it water if you're feeling lonesome. :rolleyes: Maybe give it a nice, tight hug while you're at it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Mice are unnecessary feeders. Hornworms get massive, big as a pinkie.
I can't imagine it's very cool either, I've fed frogs, birds, etc. It's not that much different.

Can't recommend any spider that fits all that and can be left for such a long time.

Maus

Arachnopeon
I'll take a time reading this entire thread for future reference when it's finished. I'll aim for hardy, forgiving, lowest maintenance and big spiders. If one grow big enought at some point, I think I would still feed the live mice (secured and defenseless) once in a while. It's completely legal after all and has nothing to do with outlaw animal cruelty activity.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'll take a time reading this entire thread for future reference when it's finished. I'll aim for hardy, forgiving, lowest maintenance and big spiders. If one grow big enought at some point, I think I would still feed the live mice (secured and defenseless) once in a while. It's completely legal after all and has nothing to do with outlaw animal cruelty activity.
Create as many mice bondage-torture-snuff films as you like, it's not illegal it's just stupid. ;)

There are no XL Ts that meet your unrealistic standards. The biggest terrestrial Ts all need tropical conditions.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I know guys, I'm just saying based on what I read on the internet before. The advertisement I got about spiders (and it surprised even me) is that you can leave them alone for a very long time. Seems that's not the case then, but I did read threads that some spiders refuse food for more than a year straight. I’m planning to leave on my spider alone, I just don’t want to be “stuck” with it like I am with fish. “Feed them twice a day or they die/get sick and clean the tank twice a week as well or the same happens”. It’s not easy to live up to that you know. I got real life going on as well.
I really don't think a tarantula is the pet for you my friend.

I know guys, I'm just saying based on what I read on the internet before. The advertisement I got about spiders (and it surprised even me) is that you can leave them alone for a very long time. Seems that's not the case then, but I did read threads that some spiders refuse food for more than a year straight. I’m planning to leave on my spider alone, I just don’t want to be “stuck” with it like I am with fish. “Feed them twice a day or they die/get sick and clean the tank twice a week as well or the same happens”. It’s not easy to live up to that you know. I got real life going on as well.
You clean your fish tank twice a week?

Well... it has worked for my cactus for 12 years now. I planted it on the ground and It goes strong to this day (despite the rains). Looks pretty healthy also. Don't really think that's gonna be the same with the spider though...
Keeping a cactus & keeping a tarantula is no comparison.

Go for it, I’m fairly new to the hobby as well almost 2 months old in, and my first T that I’ve started with is a T. Stirmi :) but in my case I get constant help from arachnid scientists in raising her, yes a female I paid $80 CB sub-adult as well, we feed her crickets, different kinds of worms and other small roaches, etc. Replicating almost her natural wild diet and keep it in rotation this may benefit for her stunt grow size later on.
I’ll be making a post soon of my Stirmi, I’ve been busy with class and other dilemmas that I haven’t had the time to post here for a bit.
Go with what your heart desires but make sure to establish a basic foundation on your species husbandry requirements and do your HW! :)
Yes but you have had help from an arachnid scientist. The OP does not have this option. If the OP gets a stirmi as a 1st T IMO it will end in tears. I agree that the research & homework should be done before buying any T.

Maus

Arachnopeon
You clean your fish tank twice a week?
I sometimes still think that's not enough. If the tank is not shining and glowing then it's not good enough. Man, I waste way too many time brushing the glass walls with magnetic brushes. When I have to travel for a week straight I gotta leave the automatic feeder there, and I don't really trust that thing... Bedsides that I cannot clean the glass.

Spiders ARE the best pet I'm sure. Though they don't glow as ornamental fish under complex and elaborate underwater backgrounds, they live a lot, require MUCH LESS care and may even eat mice! I'm not gonna record the feeding by the way, so no "snuff films" for the weirdos that thought about that.

Leila

Arachnobaron
:eek::eek:
Why would you tie the mice up??? I mean, I guess you want to "protect" the T; but...bondage? Pardon me for being so blunt, but that's awfully..alarming.

Ant

Arachnopeon
I'm going to be honest here and echo the sentiments of others that have posted. I don't think Tarantulas are the pet for you.

I got into the hobby because I find observing their behavior "cool". I find the little nuances between different species "cool". I find the changes that happen between sling and adult "cool". Judging by your responses, it seems that you want a tarantula because feeding it a mouse is "cool".

I don't know if others have picked up on this, but you begin by saying that you want a "low maintenance" pet, that requires very little in terms of daily care but then you go on to say that you'll happily go through the arduous process of tying up a mouse?! It doesn't quite add up pal.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I'm going to be honest here and echo the sentiments of others that have posted. I don't think Tarantulas are the pet for you.

I got into the hobby because I find observing their behavior "cool". I find the little nuances between different species "cool". I find the changes that happen between sling and adult "cool". Judging by your responses, it seems that you want a tarantula because feeding it a mouse is "cool".

I don't know if others have picked up on this, but you begin by saying that you want a "low maintenance" pet, that requires very little in terms of daily care but then you go on to say that you'll happily go through the arduous process of tying up a mouse?! It doesn't quite add up pal.
It seems to be all about show. If it's to make the fishtank spotless and shiny or watch a spider take down "exciting" prey, then it's worth the time, apparently.

But I'm increasingly thinking... :troll:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
If you can't provide proper care for a pet, why get it? o_O

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It seems to be all about show. If it's to make the fishtank spotless and shiny or watch a spider take down "exciting" prey, then it's worth the time, apparently.

But I'm increasingly thinking... :troll:
It puts the lotion in the basket. It does this whenever it is told...

I sometimes still think that's not enough. If the tank is not shining and glowing then it's not good enough. Man, I waste way too many time brushing the glass walls with magnetic brushes. When I have to travel for a week straight I gotta leave the automatic feeder there, and I don't really trust that thing... Bedsides that I cannot clean the glass.

Spiders ARE the best pet I'm sure. Though they don't glow as ornamental fish under complex and elaborate underwater backgrounds, they live a lot, require MUCH LESS care and may even eat mice! I'm not gonna record the feeding by the way, so no "snuff films" for the weirdos that thought about that.
Whoops! My bad! If you want to organize mice bondage-torture-snuff private shows in the comfort of your home, it's not illegal, still just stupid. ;)

Yes. I'm sure I'm the weirdo here...

What you're describing as the "perfect pet" is not actually realistic about any spider. Spiders are the best pet for you-- in your mind, according to your own imagination.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I uh. Im just gonna agree with the people saying you shouldn't get a spider. You keep using snakes as an excuse for feeding mice. Mice can hurt snakes, too. My ball python was killed by a mouse i tried to feed it. Mice are not defenseless and the only way to guarantee they cant hurt whatever youre feeding it to is to kill it. No amount of thread from whatever mouse-sex shop you manage to find is going to prevent anything for an extended time.
Suggesting that was all it took convince me that youre not serious at all.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Can't really say I give a shit about the livestock mice though. For what I've seen these are the very same mice you'd throw to a snake or a gecko. It's gonna be eaten and it'll die either way.
I feed F/T mice. I think mice are cute but that's not important -- they could be ugly and disgusting looking -- I still want to minimize suffering as much as possible.

I uh. I'm just gonna agree with the people saying you shouldn't get a spider. You keep using snakes as an excuse for feeding mice. Mice can hurt snakes, too. My ball python was killed by a mouse i tried to feed it. Mice are not defenseless and the only way to guarantee they cant hurt whatever you're feeding it to is to kill it.
Agreed.
And some people do tend to forget that sometimes the mouse wins. I just can't feed live mice. It's different from insects with more primitive/lacking pain centers, imnsho.
(Yeah, sometimes I hate the natural food chain :( )

clive 82

Arachnoknight

I agree that tarantulas probably do need less care than fish. I just think maybe think about your choice as your first T? There are a lot of really nice looking species out there that require a lot less attention than a stirmi & that are a lot more beginner friendly.
Feeding mice is something that I don't see a need for nor do I really agree with feeding live mice. I know that some people do but aside from the ethical reasoning behind it, as others have stated the mouse can seriously injure your T. How would you feel if you spent hundreds of dollars on a large stirmi, feed it a mouse, the T get injured then die?

Status
Not open for further replies.