Help me choose a new scorp, peeps.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, in the scorpion files, here is what it says about the venom of P leiosoma:

Few medical data available, but probably moderate venomous. One case is reported from Saudi Arabia by Goyffon & Vachon (1979). A 50 old female was stung in the toe, and experienced a immediate, persistent pain in the lower extremities. In the hours after the sting the patient showed arteriell hypotension, anxiety and agitation. No thermal abnormalities was observed. After medical treatment of the symptoms (no anti-venom was used!), the general condition of the patient improved after three hours. The local pain didn't go away until 36 hours after the sting. No venom squrting ability.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hi,
hottentotta trilineatus is max 6cm long
its a small-mid sized scorp

parabuthus (say transvaalicus) is about 10-15cm long
ITS HUGE, and the venom bulb is HUGE, and it is known to inject ALOT of venom

also the parabuthus has more chance of piercing your skin than the hottentotta, though the hottentottas are very agressive (ime)

i only said what i did because they shouldnt be labeled as "not that bad, dont worry"
i know you are probably very cautious with your scorps and spiders... just these ones are evil!

mine looks so cute and cuddly, but you can see a glint in its eye saying "try it, boy"

IMO Hottentotta are more interesting, theyre more agressive too
tho i only have 1 parabuthus

P.trans: http://www.scorpion-realm.co.uk/pictures/P_transvaalicus1.jpg
Hottentotta: http://www.scorpion-realm.co.uk/pictures/H_polystictus_female.jpg

good luck!

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hottenta, I can see the "glint". Cool little scorp. BTW I am very cautious with my scorps, and I was only hoping you could explain further about why you thought they were more dangerous, there is much conflicting info about these creatures. Now I understand. It's hard to tell from pictures and the few shreds of info in these books what these guys are like in person. I guess that's why the board is here.

You can be sure that no matter which scorp I get, I will be very careful. I don't have 18" tweezers for nothing. I never attempted to pick up a scorp, I never stick my hands in the tank, and I usually deal with another person when I need to rummage in my colony tank of C vittatus, AND all my tanks have some form of locking mechanism. I respect the beauty and power these things have and don't like to flirt with death.

Damn you Carnell!! Now I want a Hottenta sp also!!!! The P leiosoma is perfect because it seems large and in charge, but that little guy looks so cool and has an edge to him. Seems like it's going to be another one of those "I lost 1 pet and I have to get another, I mean 2, I mean 3..." :D

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Cool Raze
BTW is that bicolor cleaning it's telson or is it stinging something??
Its stinging a beetle. Its hard to see since their the same color. lol It even ate the wings. I have 12" forceps too but rarely use them. They come in handy more with my tarantula. The scorp rarely tries to attack. I always change its water and etc when he is relaxing under his rock.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Cool shot man. These creatures never cease to amaze me. How many times to they inject venom into prey? My H arizonensis would only deliver 1 sting, whereas my C vittatus would sting a cricket up to 20 times, I'm guessing because they were smaller. I have seen small C vittatus only deliver 1 or 2 stings to fully incapacitate a large cricket.
The liosoma will sting repeatedly where as my others usually only sting once. And yes P liosoma can be dangerous like G Carnell said.
Also the Hotentottas seem to be much more aggressive than even A australis or my others for that matter.
decisions,decisions,decisions.... :D

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S said:
The liosoma will sting repeatedly where as my others usually only sting once. And yes P liosoma can be dangerous like G Carnell said.
Also the Hotentottas seem to be much more aggressive than even A australis or my others for that matter.
decisions,decisions,decisions.... :D
I think anything considered hot is dangerous, and I've read that even less venomous ones can cause death if you're alergic or go into anaphalactic (sp?) shock. I always keep my scorps in tanks that are too tall for them to reach the top after my H arizonensis started climbing the roof of his cage. So unless scorps started "jumping", and I stick to using tweezers, the chances of me getting stung are pretty low. Maybe I will start with Hottenta spp and take it from there, I've always wanted a scorp with a huge tail, but maybe I am rushing into the dead zone too quickly.

I know tarantuals are completely different and there are no recorded cases of deaths like scorps which we all know can drop you, but I think people get paranoid sometimes when discussing the more dangerous species. For Example, I didn't get ornamentals for a while because some people freaked when I mentioned it, but after having them for a few months I've come closer to getting bit by my rosehair than my 2 ornamentals. I use caution with all of my venomous pets, thanks for the advice guys.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In a way the same thing applies with the hot scorps. Since you have experience with scorps I and seem to be careful I would say that you wouldn't have any problems. There isn't any scorp that is a fraction as fast as your ornamental tarantulas. It's true that they are more dangerous but scorps are pretty easy to manage since they can't climb glass. I just like the looks of the Androctonus and Parabuthus spp and the fact that as soon as you drop a cricket in with them, it's a gonner for sure. My other scorps make take a few days to finally nail a cricket.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S said:
In a way the same thing applies with the hot scorps. Since you have experience with scorps I and seem to be careful I would say that you wouldn't have any problems. There isn't any scorp that is a fraction as fast as your ornamental tarantulas. It's true that they are more dangerous but scorps are pretty easy to manage since they can't climb glass. I just like the looks of the Androctonus and Parabuthus spp and the fact that as soon as you drop a cricket in with them, it's a gonner for sure. My other scorps make take a few days to finally nail a cricket.
Yes, same went for my Hadrururs. He was slow catching crickets, but it was cool watching him hunt, feeling around the sand, diggind his palps under, and trying to corner the prey. He/She was adult I think and got slower over the few months I had it. It would be nice to have a scorp that goes straight for the kill, a no nonsense killer. If I have the cash, I may just get 2 :)

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a Parabuthus Transvaalicus and it's my second scorp after my emperor.

It's been extremely easy to care for, and I've had no problem doing cage maint without tweezers while she's hiding in her home.

At 3 inches she killed a pinky mouse in about 5 minutes (attacking as soon as I dropped it in) and it took her about 6 hours to consume the entire thing (bones and all).

Transes are second to none and equal to only an A Bicolor as far as the tail goes, I think. It's been a wonderful scorpion to keep :)

Oh, and it's never sprayed.

She does fine on sand and at room temp and is very active :) if you want to know anything else IM me, PM me.. or just respond here :) I'll be watching the thread.

/loves his trans/

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the 411 Fergrim. Still, with a 5 year old in my house I'm avoiding any species that can spray, I've read through many a thead on the forum and the only account I found was when someone was cleaning the tank and put a glass or plastic container over the P.t. and saw some condensation on the container. I keep my scorps out of reach, but if I'm going to get a hot species I'd prefer something different.

I keep my pets on an old art table, a drafting table, and I keep the scorps 3 feet back against the wall where no little hands can get to them. I like the leiosoma because it still has the nice thick tail without the probable spray factor and the mossambicensis has an amazing color. Carnell has me interested in the stocky little Hottenta. Do you have any experience with any of the othr Parabuthus or Hottenta?

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think i read somewhere that all species of Parabuthus have the ability to spray venom.

so leisoma would be out too, no?

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Div1nE said:
i think i read somewhere that all species of Parabuthus have the ability to spray venom.

so leisoma would be out too, no?
I've never seen that anywhere. If you know of an actual source I would like to read it. Thanks

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
Thanks Fergrim, very good to know. I may contact the mods to see if they have any experience with this genus since they haven't put in their 2¢ yet.

Maybe going with something like an A bicolor or the Hottenta may be my best bet. I checked on that site and it didn't mention anything about those being able to spray venom, plus I've always had a thing for the Androctonus genus since I saw a bunch of Carpe Scorpio's pics a few month ago.

I wonder why the Parabuthus genus is the only genus in which species can spray venom? I am going to have to do some research now, very intriguing these little creatures are :cool: :?

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
its no big deal. Your not going to be putting your face close to the scorp. There's a number of people here that own em with no problems.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RaZeDaHeLL666 said:
its no big deal. Your not going to be putting your face close to the scorp. There's a number of people here that own em with no problems.
I feel like we're in a tug of war and I'm the rope.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
hi,
just to win you over to the Hotentotta here are a few pix :)
(i have a video if you really want it too)
www.scorpion-realm.co.uk/forum/poly1.jpg
www.scorpion-realm.co.uk/forum/poly2.jpg
www.scorpion-realm.co.uk/forum/poly_babies.jpg

=D theyre awesome, and look at that square tail!
Cool G. Unfortunatelt the dealers I usually use don't have any, the specialty pets place charges too much for shipping, not sure if they even have hottenta. Most likely I will grab some soon though.