Help!! Is my GBB dying or molting?

Tu Nyce

Arachnopeon
I woke up and I saw my GBB in this position. I moved the enclosure from its viewing position to my desk to take pictures and I noticed it moving its legs a little. But right now it is still as a rock. What should I do? I don't want to panic but I've never seen it like this before (my first GBB). Help please! Thanks!

Photo Jan 21, 3 02 06 PM.jpg Photo Jan 21, 3 02 18 PM.jpg

Tu Nyce

Arachnopeon
Its molting. Leave it alone and wait for a shiny new spider.
Ok, thanks!! That gave me some type of relief.. It went through 2 molts and the first time I saw it molted it wasn't in this position which was why I panicked.

Also, the last time it molted was on 9/29/2011.. Almost 4 months ago. Hopefully everything turns out well. I'll post updates.

CitizenCrack

Arachnopeon
If it was dying it would be upright with it's legs curled underneath itself, plus you can see it's darker which is a sign of molt, your GBB is healthy happy and growing, congrats!! As Toast said leave it well alone as disturbing it may cause complications!

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
If it was dying it would be upright with it's legs curled underneath itself!
Not always, they can die in other positions also, even without curling.

That said, your tarantula is molting. On their back is the "typical" molting position, but they can and do molt in other positions (upright etc) on occasion. Don't disturb it, touch it, move it etc.

Tu Nyce

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! Heres an update! Everything is looking smooth! Thanks for the reassuring replies.

Photo Jan 21, 4 47 46 PM.jpg