Help from the horse people

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I showed minis from age 5-17. I looooove minis. I have trained several to drive, and had my boy who I trained from the ground up. Ours were just like the big horse- except the tiny two that were spoiled because of our behavior towards them.

Jasper isn't just bad. He is a terror. He tries as hard as he can to bite or kick you. He does NOT back down when you go at him, and the more you stand your ground, the harder he tries. Not my cup of tea, lol.

Only bad thing, at some point in may I have to house sit/pony sit for a week... so, I have to care for em for a week. Hopefully I won't have problems, and either way, my fiance is coming with to make sure nothing happens, and he can help out if it does.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I showed minis from age 5-17. I looooove minis. I have trained several to drive, and had my boy who I trained from the ground up. Ours were just like the big horse- except the tiny two that were spoiled because of our behavior towards them.

Jasper isn't just bad. He is a terror. He tries as hard as he can to bite or kick you. He does NOT back down when you go at him, and the more you stand your ground, the harder he tries. Not my cup of tea, lol.

Only bad thing, at some point in may I have to house sit/pony sit for a week... so, I have to care for em for a week. Hopefully I won't have problems, and either way, my fiance is coming with to make sure nothing happens, and he can help out if it does.
That's cool (about the mini's.) I have always thought they were cute, I owned a young colt that I trained to drive, but ended up selling him to someone who had time to show him more as I was too busy with my Morgans and horses in training.

I understand exactly what you mean by a "terror,"I have rehabilitated a # of those horses. Smoke the racehorse that I mentioned was insane (actually a # of the racehorses I worked with were like that, wanted to hurt you.) When Smoke saw someone coming to do anything with him he would go up and just continue to strike repeatedly. Ater he nailed a new guy in the head, and put him in the hospital, only myself and my boss were allowed to handle him. The thing I hated about racehorses though, is that none of them stayed long enough to work out these issues, and most are handled by numerous different people/trainers throughout there racing career.

I have rehabilitated horses like the one you are working with. I've had a few come to stay and be retrained. The issues certainly can be worked out, however it's a long road and a dangerous one when they are "out to get you."
Good luck with horse sitting for them, I hope things go ok.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you, I'm just hoping she does as I suggested and get a professional to help with him. Her husband wants to just beat him till he behaves. That is NOT going to help. It is scary, they have a yearling that will probably end up the same way.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is so sad and scary about that agressive horse. Sometimes I wish people were required to acquire a license to own horses, there are way too many bad owners out there who have no idea what they're doing that end up abusing and neglecting their horses because of issues like these. :(

Shell

Staff member
That is so sad and scary about that agressive horse. Sometimes I wish people were required to acquire a license to own horses, there are way too many bad owners out there who have no idea what they're doing that end up abusing and neglecting their horses because of issues like these. :(
I agree. It floors me some of the people that own horses, as well as even some of the "trainers" out there. It's scary, and sad, and unfortunately it's the horses that suffer.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This owner though... she is trying. She will most likely follow the advice when she has money. She feeds her horses everyday, does what she can to work with them (she takes the yearling and mini for walks, rides the hard to catch one, and can groom and play with Jasper- he is ok with her, as he knows he is in charge) She means well, and her biggest problem with him, is that he was 3, ungelded, and she made a few mistakes that blew up on her. Hopefully she will do the right thing and get help. But even if she didn't- she would never abuse or neglect them, and would never allow hubby to do as he pleases.

I know what you mean though, there are a lot of owners that do end up that way, or that just get horses as "lawn ornaments" and never do a thing with em after bringing them home.

Shell

Staff member
This owner though... she is trying. She will most likely follow the advice when she has money. She feeds her horses everyday, does what she can to work with them (she takes the yearling and mini for walks, rides the hard to catch one, and can groom and play with Jasper- he is ok with her, as he knows he is in charge) She means well, and her biggest problem with him, is that he was 3, ungelded, and she made a few mistakes that blew up on her. Hopefully she will do the right thing and get help. But even if she didn't- she would never abuse or neglect them, and would never allow hubby to do as he pleases.

I know what you mean though, there are a lot of owners that do end up that way, or that just get horses as "lawn ornaments" and never do a thing with em after bringing them home.
It's good to hear that she is trying, and doing her best :) I hope for her sake and the horses that she is able to afford to hire someone when she can. Good luck to everyone involved :)

CuddlesTheTarantula

Arachnopeon
Suggestions for Horse Catching

Could you possibly do some free lounging? Work him in a circle until he gets tired of moving and then go up slip the lead line around his neck? It sounds like it might be better to put the rope around his neck than to put it over his face and ears. I know the lounging thing might sound like a lot of work just to get him to come into the barn, but I think if you do this for a few times, he'll learn that your the "alpha mare" and be more inclined to come to you readily after that.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could you possibly do some free lounging? Work him in a circle until he gets tired of moving and then go up slip the lead line around his neck? It sounds like it might be better to put the rope around his neck than to put it over his face and ears. I know the lounging thing might sound like a lot of work just to get him to come into the barn, but I think if you do this for a few times, he'll learn that your the "alpha mare" and be more inclined to come to you readily after that.
I have done a bit of this, letting him run when he doesn't want to come, but they do not have a round pen, and their pasture..thing... is so big, that its not possible to keep him moving. That was what I wanted to do, but their set up wont allow it

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my 25 years of riding and 15 years of training professionally, including two stints under Grand Prix trainers, CONSISTENCY FIXES PROBLEMS.
Just curious, who did you train under? And was it show jumpers/eventing/dressage?

I've been around horses since the day I was born, and have a good 15 years experience showing Thoroughbred hunter/jumpers. Now I ride Western and plan to start roping soon. I can't add a thing to this thread, Shell Aurelia and Equuskat said it all. I loved the tip about the grooming "treat", many people ignore grooming or don't think its very important, but it's such a great way to bond with a horse. I've befriended some very nasty horses that way.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with the grooming! I'm trying to convince the owner to trick him into getting his halter on him, and then keeping it on. That way, I can just go out and groom him each day, or she can, and then we can let him go, and with out a hassle. Right now I think he is only caught to be ridden. Her horses are all very barn sour, as well as their other problems, so he doesn't enjoy that very much.

Shell

Staff member
I've been around horses since the day I was born, and have a good 15 years experience showing Thoroughbred hunter/jumpers. Now I ride Western and plan to start roping soon. I can't add a thing to this thread, Shell Aurelia and Equuskat said it all. I loved the tip about the grooming "treat", many people ignore grooming or don't think its very important, but it's such a great way to bond with a horse. I've befriended some very nasty horses that way.
Not trying to hi jack this thread, but I love roping :D I did a bit of it as a teenager, and I barrel raced for years. Just for fun really, did do local rodeos. It was never something I had planned to get into. I always showed some of our Morgans in western pleasure but had never considered anything more in the western aspects. Then, one summer I was working for a QH breeder (he bred reining and cutting horses) and he gave me one of his young studs to barrel race, and I later got into some roping with him. Loved it, got addicted quickly lol

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Barrel racing is awesome! My first barrel horse was a blind mustang my sister trained.. He was very vocal, you had to tell him straight, straight, until the turn, then tell him turn...and it was hard as heck to stop him before his chest touched the gate (his favorite stopping spot). I fought that horse for a few years before he behaved for me... I remember once in poles he spent the whole time rearing and spazzing..we ended up making him walk the whole way...haha

Shell

Staff member
Barrel racing is awesome! My first barrel horse was a blind mustang my sister trained.. He was very vocal, you had to tell him straight, straight, until the turn, then tell him turn...and it was hard as heck to stop him before his chest touched the gate (his favorite stopping spot). I fought that horse for a few years before he behaved for me... I remember once in poles he spent the whole time rearing and spazzing..we ended up making him walk the whole way...haha
LOL

My favorite horse ever (we were world champs multiple times in Saddleseat equitation, park saddle and in hand classes) was a total spaz when I got him, and he wasn't blind lol. He had been VERY poorly trained, over collected alot and then forced into the canter, therefore everytime I asked for a canter he would rear and launch (and I mean launch) himself into it. Took me about a year to finally convince him that politely stepping into a canter was ok. Once I convinced him of that, we were unstoppable. He could still be a little s@#% at home when he wanted but he was definately one of those once in a lifetime horses. I lost him to colic 3 yrs ago, he was only 18.

I've ridden/trained many great showhorses, but to me that ones that I really remember are the ones that took alot of hard work before coming into their own :)

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL

My favorite horse ever (we were world champs multiple times in Saddleseat equitation, park saddle and in hand classes) was a total spaz when I got him, and he wasn't blind lol. He had been VERY poorly trained, over collected alot and then forced into the canter, therefore everytime I asked for a canter he would rear and launch (and I mean launch) himself into it. Took me about a year to finally convince him that politely stepping into a canter was ok. Once I convinced him of that, we were unstoppable. He could still be a little s@#% at home when he wanted but he was definately one of those once in a lifetime horses. I lost him to colic 3 yrs ago, he was only 18.

I've ridden/trained many great showhorses, but to me that ones that I really remember are the ones that took alot of hard work before coming into their own :)

Aww, im sorry you lost him :( Sounds like a spaz, but I bet he was a fun spaz!

Our Koda is a crazy boy. A few years ago he became terrified of dogs, to add on to all his fun little quirks (We were attacked while riding, poor baby) and after that, any shadow coming at him was terrifying. My sister had to work with him for awhile for that one.

We had an Arabian mare who was a funny little horse too. She was in her 20's and her past owners had ruined her. They abused her badly, and if you got on her, she took off as fast as she could, and stopped dead. It did' matter what you did, you were going over her head. My sister worked hard with her for about a summer, and after that she was my perfect little walk-trot-canter horse. Loved her, sadly, she got hit by a car a few years ago. She was incredibly arthritic by that time, and I could only ride her occasionally, bareback to keep her moving. She was a sweet heart though!

Shell

Staff member
Aww, im sorry you lost him :( Sounds like a spaz, but I bet he was a fun spaz!

Our Koda is a crazy boy. A few years ago he became terrified of dogs, to add on to all his fun little quirks (We were attacked while riding, poor baby) and after that, any shadow coming at him was terrifying. My sister had to work with him for awhile for that one.

We had an Arabian mare who was a funny little horse too. She was in her 20's and her past owners had ruined her. They abused her badly, and if you got on her, she took off as fast as she could, and stopped dead. It did' matter what you did, you were going over her head. My sister worked hard with her for about a summer, and after that she was my perfect little walk-trot-canter horse. Loved her, sadly, she got hit by a car a few years ago. She was incredibly arthritic by that time, and I could only ride her occasionally, bareback to keep her moving. She was a sweet heart though!
Thanks :) and yeah he turned into an awesome horse, but the first little while he was nuts lol

Sorry to hear about your Arab :( It sounds like she was a sweet mare.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks :) and yeah he turned into an awesome horse, but the first little while he was nuts lol

Sorry to hear about your Arab :( It sounds like she was a sweet mare.
She was an utter sweet heart, the first horse I ever really trusted. Sadly, the man who hit her was drunk, and claimed she "ran out in front of him" mind you, this horse couldn't trot, I could out run her by speed walking. And she was white. He was just drunk, and they covered for him. The police even made plans to dispose of her and claimed they had to shoot her to put her out of her misery.. She was dead on impact, they were just making it up, but at least she didn't suffer.

I love though, how with the right training, even spazzy horses can become awesome, trustworthy animals.

Shell

Staff member
She was an utter sweet heart, the first horse I ever really trusted. Sadly, the man who hit her was drunk, and claimed she "ran out in front of him" mind you, this horse couldn't trot, I could out run her by speed walking. And she was white. He was just drunk, and they covered for him. The police even made plans to dispose of her and claimed they had to shoot her to put her out of her misery.. She was dead on impact, they were just making it up, but at least she didn't suffer.

I love though, how with the right training, even spazzy horses can become awesome, trustworthy animals.
That's horrible. The farm I trained racehorses for, had a Morgan teaser. He got out one night and ran across the highway to see the girls and got hit by a semi.

So do I, some of my best show horses started as spazzy, crazy horses lol Manny though was by far the most amazing horse, born to show. The year I retired him, I was loading that string of show horses to go off for the first show of the season. Poor Manny screamed and ran circles in his paddock, I finally decided to bring him along and ended up just doing the Jack Benny class with him (bareback with a 20 dollar bill between your thigh and the horse, whoever is the last one left with their 20 wins the pot.) He thought it was great, always went a little nuts bareback, and this was no exception :) He just didn't want to retire I guess, he loved to put on a show for anyone who would watch him. I could load horses for any other reason and he never cared, it sounds crazy but it was like he knew when we were going to a show.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, that rocks that he had that much fun! We call that sit-a-buck where I'm from, and it was a very common 4-H game. Along with spoon and egg, the one where you have to have a cup of water in your mouth, and a few others. I always had the horse that didn't want to behave, so I ended up covered with water,egg, or losing my buck.

Lol, I remember one year I worked for weeks on using my weight to slow down Koda, shifting to get him to follow my rhythm, and we were doing SO good. Get in the class, and my brother and his mare go barreling past us, and it all went down the drain, haha.