HELP!!! D. Panama in death curl

Cassey

Arachnopeon
Please help! I've had this sling for a few months and they've been doing fine, eating and they had a molt back in September when I got them. They haven't shown any sluggish behaviour or anything but today I found them in a death curl. I don't know what to do, it's such a small species I'm scared to even try and put some water in its mouth as I don't want to drown it. It's still moving very minimally when I touch it so it's not completely gone. PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Please help! I've had this sling for a few months and they've been doing fine, eating and they had a molt back in September when I got them. They haven't shown any sluggish behaviour or anything but today I found them in a death curl. I don't know what to do, it's such a small species I'm scared to even try and put some water in its mouth as I don't want to drown it. It's still moving very minimally when I touch it so it's not completely gone. PLEASE HELP!
You can try dropping water in its mouth they won’t drown unless book lungs are submerged. Poor thing :sad:

Cassey

Arachnopeon
You can try dropping water in its mouth they won’t drown unless book lungs are submerged. Poor thing :sad:
That was my first thought. I'm using a small paintbrush to try and give them a few small drops without covering their booklungs. Is there anyway it might improve? I seriously don't know why this happened they were doing fine :(

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That was my first thought. I'm using a small paintbrush to try and give them a few small drops without covering their booklungs. Is there anyway it might improve? I seriously don't know why this happened they were doing fine :(
I’d post pics of the containers so people can help. dehydration is one thing I try to avoid having issues in the past with it.

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Hard to say. Going off the pic, it looks like it might be too late. Is it responsive?

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Give it water. It can't drown.

Looks like it molted and was too dehydrated to continue. Do you provide a water dish?

Cassey

Arachnopeon
Hard to say. Going off the pic, it looks like it might be too late. Is it responsive?
Very little, there's some movement with the legs.

Give it water. It can't drown.

Looks like it molted and was too dehydrated to continue. Do you provide a water dish?
I don't know if there are water dishes for something so small, but no, just because I didn't have one for this tiny sling. But since it's a d. Panama I've always kept the enclosure moist and I've fed it regularly, every other day to every 2 days.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
IMO,it’s to far gone.It’s very difficult to pull a sling back from this point.
How were you housing it?.

Asking if it might drown is a giveaway you may need to research T,s.
Research brook lungs.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Do you have picture of the enclosure? Fingers crossed friend

Cassey

Arachnopeon
IMO,it’s to far gone.It’s very difficult to pull a sling back from this point.
How were you housing it?.

Asking if it might drown is a giveaway you may need to research T,s.
Research brook lungs.
I know what booklungs are, I was just worried because this was such a small sling that I did not want to put water on it and risk covering the booklungs as well.

Do you have picture of the enclosure? Fingers crossed friend
This is the enclosure. It's just reptisoil, a bit of coco fiber and some sphagnum moss. I would usually spray one corner to offer humidity and a drink, as the water would sit a bit before submerging. The sling had some tunnels set up too though it's hard to see.

Attachments

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
You can get tattoo ink cups that are good for tiny spiders. There are 3 sizes. Water is really all you can do. Any sprays or fumes tha could have entered your environment? Flea and tick meds, anyone spray for bugs outside the house that could have come in the window?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
that size of cage can easily hold a bottle cap as a water dish with room to spare for more. could be it was just one of the ones not meant to survive

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Looks to me like it molted recently - it's legs are translucent... Did it come back around?

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It took me a few days to dig this up, sorry

I am not posting that link to point fingers, only to confirm my suspicions when I see a plump T in a wet environment, and while I'm not smart enough to regurgitate it correctly, I want to give credit to @l4nsky

Here is his more in depth guide, and it's very deep!

I'll keep looking for other posts on the topic, but in short, your T may be suffocating.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
It took me a few days to dig this up, sorry

I am not posting that link to point fingers, only to confirm my suspicions when I see a plump T in a wet environment, and while I'm not smart enough to regurgitate it correctly, I want to give credit to @l4nsky

Here is his more in depth guide, and it's very deep!

I'll keep looking for other posts on the topic, but in short, your T may be suffocating.
You hit the nail on the head. @Cassey, I was gifted that same enclosure and it sits unused on my shelf, still in the box because IMHO, the ventilation placement can and will contribute towards the decline and eventual death of any moisture dependent species kept inside due to stagnation and CO2 accumulation.

Edit: A more in depth breakdown with explanations on enclosure air stagnation and it's causes can be found here:
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/my-ts-are-dying-help.351789/post-3248862

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
IME, these don't need as much moisture as people seem to think they do. I certainly wouldn't call them a moisture dependant species.