HELP! Are these Poecilotheria METALLICA?

Sal Machado

Arachnopeon
Dear friends, need your help to identify if these Ts on the pics are truly P. Metallicas. I got them but they have no hint of blue... No they are young, but got a bit scared of they not being p. metallica. Thx a lot for the help, I am new to the hobby :D

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Yes, I believe they are indeed P. metallica's, As they get larger the blue coloration will start to be even more and more visible.

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
That is for sure P.metallica. But when small they dont have so much of the blueish color. Dont worry they will when growing ;)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
How many did you get? How expensive were they? Awesome little blue babies.

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
I actually got two,about three months ago,had the same worry.
Now I'm glad I got to see them develop from grey to blue.
My worry was actually that I thought I saw somewhere that there was a grey color form(?),but I wanted the blue.
Probably I misread something and got confused.
Those are even smaller than mine when I got them,very nice! Glad for you!

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
You said youre new to the hobby are you sure you're gonna be able to handle pokies? Especially when they get bigger and faster

Felidae

Arachnosquire
P. metallicas for sure, but I'd keep my fingers away before someone will hurt. Have many, less potent eight legged pals with nice color to get your first bite ;)

Last edited:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sal Machado, please do some research on the species you have and before you buy any more do your research first. Anything in the Poecilotheria genus has a quite significant bite as do many other species of tarantula. While a lot of us have started with the prettier and faster moving species we do not recommend doing so due to our own experiences. We are here to help, but you really do need to learn about the tarantulas in general and it will help you make safer decisions in the future. Cheers

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you should not of gotten those, you seem pretty new. your bio says you have B. smithi and some scorps? you might hve a very difficult time with those..

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
Playing Devils Advocate(tho I'm not sure why)
We do all know that some people DO have more of a knack than others,but experience is #1. When I first started posting here,through my own arrogance/ignorance,I refused to believe that,but it is simply the truth,there is no substitute for experience.

Something that I feel I had in my pocket to protect me was(is...)a very healthy fear of spiders,tbh. Afraid,but too fascinated to ignore.

If(big IF)you are one with some particular angle(I think a surgeon that works with microscopic thread,for instance,would have a huge hand/eye advantage over most-and a huge T budget,lol)that gives you confidence to handle it,I've heard more than once that metallicas are a good pokie to start with.
Bite awareness is very important,but something that may help-if you make a mistake and it gets gone-it's likely gone,you won't find it.
Not sure about Italy,but those guys are a pretty penny here. A cavalier attitude can cost a lot of money.

Is like a perfect score on pac-man. One mistake,you're done.

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dear friends, need your help to identify if these Ts on the pics are truly P. Metallicas. I got them but they have no hint of blue... No they are young, but got a bit scared of they not being p. metallica. Thx a lot for the help, I am new to the hobby :D
Just a little warning. Check out this poecilotheria sling, it also have blueish colour. Maybe it is the camera blitz that gives it, but nonetheless, it is a reason people can misslabel from pictures. I am sure you do have a metallica, just saying that pictures can cheat!
This is one of my small tigrinawessellis:

Picture only shown to see the colours. I do touch my slings while moving 100+ of them, and i will continue to do so;-)

Last edited:

Zach T

Arachnopeon
I, as an absolute newbie, also agree those exactly like my p. metallica sling I got over a month ago. What instar would those be? Mine looked like that when I got him and now post-molt he has a slight velvety appearance to his legs although his growth was limited at best with this molt.