Help aggressive spider

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ts don't really cook themselves under heat lamps, they have instincts lol However sometimes they can not get away from the heat of the lamp, and the lamp dries out the enclosure very quickly which can lead to dehydration, lamps are not necessary for any species I believe

Btw, your smithi is female :)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... I also changed the position of the heat lamp from the top to the side of the terrarium. He or she always goes nuts when handled, running really fast all over the place ...
Too hot? Read Temperature.

... ( about 5 min after that he calms down) ...
After it has a chance to cool down?

In fact, back up a few paces and read all the webpages in the tree beginning with Myths...

Pay attention to your little 8-legged Yoda. It's going to be giving you pop quizzes daily!

---------- Post added 03-22-2013 at 08:04 PM ----------

... if the heat lamp goes away he is not going to have an proper temperature ...
And, what exactly would you think ought to be a "proper temperature?"

... I am building him a new terrarium :) ...
Be careful about this. Carefully read Natural is Better.

And by the way, it's almost surely a female. SHE may or may not appreciate a new terrarium! Did you by chance manage to save the shed skin for confirmation?

Enjoy your little 8-legged Jedi Knight!

Last edited:

jakopic

Arachnopeon
Aggressive spider UPDATE

hello i want to thank you all for your help :)
i added more substrate and removed the light and now he is much happier
I posted these so other can see how much help all can get from arachnoboards :D
IMG_1229.jpg
IMG_1230.jpg

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Besides the expense, horrific stench of the bolus and the messy clean up; why is the solid diet of pinkies no good?
The jury is still out on that one. We can spin all sorts of stories, but no one has been able to come up with a really good, rational explanation for their opinions. See Mice, Calcium, and Molting for a discussion of the issues.

Enjoy your little laid-back, 8-legged wonder!

NGLepine

Arachnosquire
Im sure the pinkie is a well received NumNum!!! Just do a bit of research into fats, proteins etc in the foods you give your T!!! Crickets and horned worms are like Protein Shakes!!! Pinkies are like big honkin CHEESEBURGERS!!! Naturally your T finds far more crickets and other bugs then it does mouse dens!

Not really an opinion, more so, a nutritional fact :)

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
I would actually be prone to disagree. I'm sure in nature as the spider is a juvenile, it's staple diet is insects. But, I imagine when it's an adult, vertebrates become the primary source of food. Lizards, field mice, etc.

Being that they are available in the wild, I'm sure after millions of years Tarantulas have adapted to the diet.

NGLepine

Arachnosquire
Disagree if you wish!!! :) my family motto is "Agree to Disagree".

However, sub adult - adult mice would have a significantly larger amount of healthy stuffs to them then a pinkie would. And as for "In the wild". "Said" Tarantulas would more likely come across insects rather then juvi rodents. Im not saying its bad to feed by any means. Food is great in moderation! Just stating that it would be an unhealthy choosing for "staple diet".

On another note, whilst in the wild, im sure a larger T would surely tackle an adult rodent. However, i wouldnt take the chance on injury to my T.

Theres a reason why avid snake collectors prefer F/T over live. A bite could damage your pet!!

jakopic

Arachnopeon
it is not a mice it is a rat xD but that is not important...Her diet will be mostly crickets, these rat was given to her because I wanted to see it in real life :) do not get me wrong i checked her size and the size of the rat so nothing could go wrong :D
And dam she got fat(big) xD

NGLepine

Arachnosquire
Hahaha id imagine!!! Thats like putting a cheesecake in front of my mrs!!! She's maybe 120lb..... But a 10lb cheesecake doesnt stand a chance :)