Heating

Holdenon5

Arachnopeon
What do you guys recommend as an efficient way to heat multiple scorpions enclosures together? I was thinking on creating a hot box of somesort to place all of my scorpion enclosures in. Let me know what has worked good for you

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
What do you guys recommend as an efficient way to heat multiple scorpions enclosures together? I was thinking on creating a hot box of somesort to place all of my scorpion enclosures in. Let me know what has worked good for you
They generally don’t require any heat unless your house is under about 60 degrees but people do it in ways such as putting all of the tanks in a huge tub and heating the tub with a heat pad or just buying a space heater.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have come to the conclusion that heat considerations are more for the optimal conditions desired by breeders, etc.. “Joe or Jane Hobbiest” can keep them at average room temps. My two cents, but I have several desert species in my office with no heat enhancement. Plus, take into consideration that what you feel as “room temp” is not what they are feeling in that enclosure, especially if you have them in sunlight at some point of the day.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
What species ? That will determine temperature requirements. A space heater is best to keep them warm.

Many can be kept at room temperature (a relative term) but not all. Room temp for me is the 70s because I hate being cold but if you have African or other warm weather species where it doesn't drop to the 50s at night you'll want to use supplemental heating if you don't keep your house in the 70s.

if you have them in sunlight at some point of the day.
Neither they, nor their enclosures, should be in sunlight at any point .

Holdenon5

Arachnopeon
I currently have some hottentotta, tiyus stigmurus, and plan to add some leiurus here soon. My room temp in summer is around mid to high 70's. I do plan on possibly breeding down the road so wasnt sure if this can be done without added heat?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
What species ? That will determine temperature requirements. A space heater is best to keep them warm.

Many can be kept at room temperature (a relative term) but not all. Room temp for me is the 70s because I hate being cold but if you have African or other warm weather species where it doesn't drop to the 50s at night you'll want to use supplemental heating if you don't keep your house in the 70s.

Neither they, nor their enclosures, should be in sunlight at any point .
I guess we're going to agree to disagree on the sunlight. I will clarify and say I meant filtered sunlight coming into the room for a portion of the day. I keep several desert species like that, and all are well. They live in deserts, so they know when to hide if it gets too hot.

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
I keep all of my species in an old military cabinet I found, I wired an LED light into it and put a seedling heater at the bottom and its perfect. Ill try to upload some pics real quick.

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
Ill try to upload some pics real quick.
cabinet.jpg

This is what the cabinet looked like and how it opens (I only have 2 sections)

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

These are various stages of using it, the last picture was just a few days ago.

Holdenon5

Arachnopeon

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
That sweet! Do you have the seedling heater on the bottom? Do they need to be hooked to a thermostat like other heating devices? Thanks for sharing!
Mine isn't hooked to anything, That's why I used a seedling mat instead of a reptile heater because it seems to not get as hot and the fact that the cabinet is contained raises the temp of everything anyways. I put my desert stuff on the bottom right on top of the mat and stack things on top of them they don't need as much heat and I've used this setup for 8 months now and everyone seems happy, there's 14 scorps, a mantis, 150+ isopods and some beetles all in there.

Edit : You can see in the first picture the bottom arizona scorp is at 81 degrees while the top section is at 73, its actually amazed me how easy it is the control stuff in this cabinet.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I guess we're going to agree to disagree on the sunlight. I will clarify and say I meant filtered sunlight coming into the room for a portion of the day. I keep several desert species like that, and all are well. They live in deserts, so they know when to hide if it gets too hot.
I was referring to the Greenhouse effect.