heating

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
THE SET-UP: Got 3 emps in what looks to be a 20 gallon, roughy 6 inches of dirt with a water dish and large log supported by rocks. The heat is "supplied" by a zoo-med repta temp 500R running to a Exo-tera "desert" 120 volt 8 watt heat mat on the tanks side.

THE PROBLEM: The mat doesn't seem to be heating up, it keeps the tank on a few degrees warmer then the room when set on high. For the time being theyre just under an infared that runs 24-7.

Anybody have any ideas what the problem could be? This is my first hands on with this type of heating, are the mats like a fridge require'n 24+ hours to reach temp settings?

thanks 4 any help.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Some heat mates do not radeate much heat and rely on heating things insied the tank, like the natural heat of the sun. others emite direct heat. In my expereance unless u insolate yr tanks on 5 sides. U also need to insolate the heat mate with tin foild and cardboard to ensure all the heat is directed in. \they do take some time to reach optemen temp.
I now use heat lamps, humidity needs more work with heat lamps, but u have better controle of the heat