Heating pad made for people

Shogun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a dubia colony and i have them in a large rubbermaid container.

I was wondering if using a heating pad that is made for backaches and such is safe for me and for them?

Had it on low for a few hours and the temperature of the bottom seems to be at around 90.

Im pretty sure I know the answer, but can this work?

And sorry if this has been asked before, searched for a while, all I found was about reptile heating pads

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i wouldn't see why not, but as long as it doesn't melt the bottom, you're gold.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would advise against using one of the pads made for people. Get a cheap reptile heating pad, those are designed to be used full time.

I have heard from a couple people that pads made for humans will sometimes stop working and or short out under continuous use.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agreed. I tried using one of those and it worked for a while but the outer material began to get rigid and then brittle, breaking down over what seemed "not that long". They are definately designed for intermittant use only. I would not be suprised if newer ones had a built in fuse that turned it off after a couple hours....

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been using one to heat my T house for years (5 or more, I think) and it is just fine and on all of the time. However, it is in its own bottom level with a plexiglas plate above it. The plate has holes to let the heat pass, but nothing is in contact with the pad from above. It only touches the plexiglas floor on which it rests. I use a thermometer in the T house to know the temperature being kept.

Perhaps the set-up makes a difference? Anyway, works for me. It has outlasted some of the reptile heating pads I've gotten for my reps, but I also have a number of reptile pads that are equally long-lasting.

One of my reptile pads, when it malfunctioned, it got exceedingly hot! I don't know that this pad could do that.

Just my experiences and thoughts.