Heat mat issues

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey all

I've just got my first T so I haven't yet worked out the best way to do things, and I'm having trouble heating my tank up. For reference this is the setup I've got at the moment - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/fupmonkey/CIMG0048.jpg

I'm using a Habistat mini mat 4"x6", mounted on the side of my plastic T tank (on the far left in that pic). The problem is the mat gets warm but the tank doesn't. I've got a thermometer inside the tank and it hasn't yet shown anything above 70F. My T has been pretty inactive since I got it and I think it's cos it's cold, so I'm trying to work out how to make my heatmat more effective.

I noticed it felt a lot warmer on the back of the mat than on the inside of the tank, so I improvised an insulating pad by covering some cardboard with tinfoil, and taped it over the back of the mat. I think it's worked at blocking some of the lost heat, and the side of the tank does feel warmer now, but still not as warm as the insulating pad does!

The tank has air gaps along the top of both long sides, and also over the entire area of the lid, so I've taped up all the air gaps on the heatmat-side of the lid in the hope it will keep some heat in. I didn't want to tape up any more in case it hurt the air circulation.

Other than that I don't really know what to do. My house isn't warm, so if the heatmat doesn't work I'm gonna have real problems keeping my T warm. Anyone got any ideas?

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Secondary enclosures

an enclosed book case that you can heat up would work nicely..

A larger fish tank 40 gall. with a larger heat matt stuck on the inside.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That would be good. But I don't have the space, or the money for that. Damn.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Smof,
The top of the Keeper needs to be covered in order to contain heat otherwise the heat just rises out of the container, try covering 80% of the top and you will see an increase in temp.
Is that vermiculite in the substrate ? or pearlite ? pearlite is not suitable.
I use plain earth with coconut fiber to retain moisture

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The substrate is 'spider substrate' bought from an exotics shop, it's peat and vermiculite.

Thanks I will try covering the lid and see what happens.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm going to say this.
The container you have the tarantula in is way too big.
You could get at least three if not four tarantulas that size in there.
I would start with getting a small container. Some thing in the 20 cm by 15 cm size.

I'm guessing that the tarantula is about 10 cm max.

Secondly, try placing the mat on the bottom. The temperature is bottoming out at 20C you can go head and do it. Keep and eye on the tarantula. There is confusion about heating pads. People think that a tarantula will dig to get way from heat. This is logical but I have never seen one of my 100 or so. In fact they do the oppsite. If they are cold they dig towards the heat not away from. Lastly do not cover the top. IF you what to reflect heat, do it with a peice of foam. Place the heat pad next to the container then place the foam against heat pad. If you are stressing the placement of the pad on the bottom, get a digtal temperature gauge.
thedarkfinder

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice. But why do you think the tank is too big? A ot of people have told me they think it's okay including the guy in the store.

I can't put the heat mat underneath the tank because I have a couple of inches of substrate in there, and the instructions say only 1cm of substrate can cover the mat or it will overheat.

And why should I not cover the top?

I'm not trying to pick holes here I just want to know the reasons so that I can work out the best thing to do.

Thanks

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The top of the cage needs to be covered to keep the spider in. Even terrestrials and burrowers can climb plastic to varying degrees of success. That cage may be a little too big, but that just means your tarantula will have a little more work ahead of it in catching it's food.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
“But why do you think the tank is too big?”

1. Larger the tank more the T has to hunt for prey.
2. Larger the tank hard it is to maintain temperature and humidity.
3. Takes up more space that could be used for more Ts! :rolleyes:

“I can't put the heat mat underneath the tank because I have a couple of inches of substrate in there, and the instructions say only 1cm of substrate can cover the mat or it will overheat.”

1 cm! That’s crazy. You should have much more. I use at least 2” for arboreal, 4” for terrestrial and 10” for burrowers. This helps with humidity levels. Not to mention gives your T temperature options when using a heating pad. Many species like to “play” in the dirt, creating hiding spots. You need to have deeper substrate so they can mimic natural habits.

Keep one end of the enclosure cooler then the other. I achieve this by placing only 1/3 of the tank over a heating pad. I only turn the heating pad on if my room temperature reaches lower then 70F.

Play with different amounts of substrate and heating pad settings to see what temperatures it reaches. Do this without the T in the enclosure or you could cook him/her. I never have to put mine beyond the first setting.

”And why should I not cover the top?”

1. Keep the T in the tank.
2. Helps regulate temperature and humidity.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BTW when you say cold, how cold are we talking?

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You didn't have the lid on your tank? How did you keep her from escaping? Well, not having a lid on and trying to heat the tank with a small heater is like trying to heat your room with it...

Yes, the tank might be just a little too big, but I think its better to be big rather than too small, but I don't think its that big that you could keep 3-4 tarantulas in it, lol...

Last edited:

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heat mats don't have to heat the tank & in fact shouldn't. The heat mat provides a warm area in your tank. When the T needs heat it will go to that area. If it doesn't need heat it will move by varying distances away from the mat depending on its temperature needs. All my Ts have a warm area in the tank and they choose to go there at times but they have options. Don't try to provide a consistent temperature environment. That's not what Ts need.:embarrassed:

bigo85

Arachnopeon
i thought the same way as u smof that a bigger tank is better but it is not, i keep my B. smit that is 4.5" in a 2.5 gal and it is doing better then when i had her in a 20gal. In the smaller tank you could better regulat the temp and humid.

DragonMaiden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree on the size of the tank being a bit too big for that T. I have used mat heaters with no problems in glass aquariums. You can get one for about $8.00 for a 2.5 gal. For some reason :? it seems to heat it up better. Ambient heat. I also use a red bulb on top, which also gives heat. Most T's are comfortable at 75 to 85 degrees. dont heat it too much because you will wind up with a fried critter.:mad: Always use a tight fitting lid for a T. G*D forbid it gets out and you walk into your room while its on the floor and you don't see it in time. I don't think you would want a squished T on your hands...I mean feet. :embarrassed: For its safety lid it. I have 6 T's and 8 scorps all are lidded. ( including locks.) It is really careless to keep it in an open tank. anything can happen. I have had friends loose their T's and later found them dead. in 1 case the friends mother had a heart attack because she seen it on her leg while napping on the couch and the poor T got trampled on. :eek: BTW "mom" is doing ok now. Dont wait for a bad thing to happen. Frankly I feel it is irresponsible to keep a T uncovered. but that is my opinion. Don't take offense to it, I am an avid lover of all animals and have seen horrable things happen to animals due to carelessness. I am trying to save you from heartache.
Good Luck!

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay there's been some confusion here. I never said I didn't have a lid for the tank, I just took it off for the photo like everybody does! You'll notice I was actually asking The DarkFinder "Why should I not cover the top?", and even then I was refering to covering the lid in some kind of insulation because they were advising against it, not suggesting I leave the lid off!

I would've hoped people wouldn't expect me to be so stupid as to not have a lid for a tarantula tank :rolleyes:

Also I know 1cm of substrate is not enough, that's why I have 2 or 3 inches. But the instructions on the heatmat say if it used used underneath more than 1cm of substrate it may overheat which is why I have side-mounted it.

As for the tank being too big, I've decided to wait and see how the T copes when I first try feeding it. If it has trouble I will rehouse it in a smaller tank but if it manages okay I think it can stay in there.

BTW anyone know what a 2.5 gallon tank would measure in inches or cm? I don't understand your crazy US volumes :confused:

Thanks again everyone, hope this helps clear up the confusion! :)

Last edited:

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
12x8x6

I would go with a 5 ½ gallon.
16x8x10

fyrburn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I keep mine in an plastic tupper-ware box. it's a sling, so it doesn't need a lot of room....at all. Like....20cm wide, 10cm high. Which is actually still a little big. I just ordered a G. Rosea to put into my exo terra 30cm x 30cm tank.
I usually keep the heat mat UNDER the tank. not in the tank, but physically beneath the whole tank. Also most tarantulas can survive at room temperature, granted you don't live in the arctic.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well I had a flash of inspiration today and bought a 2nd thermometer which I put in the tank, resting up against the side where the heat mat is. It went up to nearly 85F. The thermometer in the middle of the tank says 70F. So I guess that means that there is a point in between where it's the right temp for the T, so I can stop worrying.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
First I've never heard of a heat mat overheating if cover by more than a cm of substrate, what I've seen in ther instructions of several brands of heatmats is that not to keep it on the bottom of the thank and have the tank rest directly on a surface. This will cause overheating and could crack a glass tank or melt/warp a plastic one. To prevent this the tank shold be slightly raised to allow for air circulation.

Second and more importantly never place a heat source for a t on the bottom of the enclosure. because most often a t will burrow to escape the heat (or do so in nature). So in trying to escape the heat will by burrowing get closer to it and cook itself. Several threads on the subject.