Heat emitter - y/n?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
go with a oil filled one...you can get a descent one at walmart for 50-60 bucks..
The whole kicker about this is that the front of the house takes heat perfectly, it warms up quick and stays warm, but my mother would never allow any tank animal out in the open like that hahaha

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
An oil filled space heater would be the best option for raising the room temp. That 68-70 range is fine for you, and your tarantulas.
x2...and you will find that a good oil-filled space heater can quickly raise your ambient room temp to 70 (or even higher, if you like), and hold it there nicely.

Transient

Arachnosquire
I have a heater that looks like a fireplace now hahaha. It has excellent controls and isn't any sort of a fire danger unless you press it right up against something. It does a great job, I had to kick off my covers last night because it got too warm.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a space heater with a Temperature Stat on it. When the "space" I'm filling reaches a certain temperature the space heat kicks off and when it goes below. It kicks back on.. It even rotates.. I dont have the heater directly on my t's but pointing away. Wais originally $80 but got it on clearance ofor $40

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well if you got one of those than you are good...just invest in a thermometer and hang it somewhere, preferably near your closet...
I have a heater that looks like a fireplace now hahaha. It has excellent controls and isn't any sort of a fire danger unless you press it right up against something. It does a great job, I had to kick off my covers last night because it got too warm.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to think that a space heater was a good idea for keeping my tarantula area warmer, but then I saw my energy bills... It turns out that electricity is waaay more expensive than gas, so it actually cost MORE to heat that small area of the room than it would have to heat the entire house (I even had an oil filled space heater that was rated pretty well).

I'd recommend looking into why the room is not getting enough heat and try to get the central heating unit to do the work instead of a costly electric space heater. If it turns out to be a hard problem to fix, then maybe a space heater would be a quicker solution. If adjusting the central heating isn't an option, personally, I'd try to set up the smallest heating solution possible, either with heating tape, mats, ceramic bulbs, or whatnot. Especially if you don't have a tremendous number of tanks to heat up. Then just try to insulate the area and make sure none are getting too much heat or drying out.

Transient

Arachnosquire
I got my spiders, and I have a heating pad for people on low setting inside their tank. The thermometer I'm using shows the heat inside is pretty consistent, 75 at night and 79-80 during the day.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
cool..hope that it works out for ya...i got my spidies in today too...haha

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen several people suggesting flexwatt, if you go this route you MUST use some kind of temperature control. Flex-watt gets VERY hot. A rheostat doesn't cut it in my opinion, because ambient temperature holds so much influence over a set up like that. You should get a thermostat of some kind, the cheapest option being a ranco or johnson (these are not proportional so temps will fluctuate quite a bit with them).

Last edited: