Heat emitter - y/n?

Transient

Arachnosquire
I've been thinking about how to best heat enclosures in my frigid bedroom. The central heating/cooling isn't very effective in my room, and during winter it stays a pretty consistent 60-65 degrees (yes... feel sorry for me). I have heat mats, but when I used them with my corn snake they weren't very effective and I had to also use two huge bulbs. I'm hesitant to do that with a T for obvious reasons a) they'd dislike the light and b) I don't want to cook my spider. So I did a little searching and found this

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=335

It's a ceramic heat emitter. It says it increases ambient heat, which is perfect but I searched here and didn't find much on ambient heaters that weren't for entire rooms. I just want to know if anyone has experience with these and Ts, and whether or not it might get a little too hot. Also, if they aren't recommended I would appreciate other ideas for heating.

Other details:
I may be getting a heater of my own, but at most it'd raise the temp to 68-70F.
I have never owned a T I'm just experimenting before I buy one.
I'm still going to use a heat mat, I'm just looking for boosts.

Thank you!

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
Haven't used one, but when we set up our bearded dragon's viv I had looked at them. Like a bulb they get very hot on the surface and they do chuck out a lot of heat, fine if you're a basking reptile but I don't think they'd be a good idea for T's. Maybe if you were using one (with a stat of course) to heat teh interior of a cabinet up, inside which you had a bunch of tubs with T's in, maybe, but not directly.
Far better as is usually recommended to use a space heater and get a more even warmth all around, guess it depends on the size of the room versus the cost of heating it.

Transient

Arachnosquire
I think we do have a space heater in storage, and my room is medium/small-sized about 15'x10'. The problem is my room has a door in the ceiling to the attic, so heat often escapes to up there when I try to use a space heater, although they do work to a degree.

cnapple

Arachnoknight
68-70 should be fine for your spiders for the winter. A space heater for the room is your best option.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+1 for the space heater. Your Ts will be fine for the winter if you can maintain the temp around 70 degrees.

macj1983

Arachnosquire
Flexwatt is a type of heat mat you can buy to fit what ever the needs. My self I think I would mount a shelf a little high you'll find temps to be warmer being heat goes up as you said mine stay at about 70ish in the winter they just won't be as active as one kept at 80 but guess really depends on what your keeping and their needs.. Best of luck pal

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
I agree with space heater, I use one in my T room, along with a humidifier. Get one with a digital thermostat, $40 at lowes. The oilfilled ones work a little better though, they won't dry out the room so bad. Either is fine though.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think we do have a space heater in storage, and my room is medium/small-sized about 15'x10'. The problem is my room has a door in the ceiling to the attic, so heat often escapes to up there when I try to use a space heater, although they do work to a degree.
I would go with the space heater or use flexwatt on a shelf, or in a cabinet.

As far as the door, is the attic used? Try to seal with a foam weatherstrip. If not used, I would also add something like the plasic window weatherstrip coverings right over the whole thing.

Transient

Arachnosquire
It's not used in a sense that we go up there constantly, but it's opened once or twice every few months, or more if our roof needs work (which is often).
I have a humidifier and confirmed having a space heater, so I'll just try that out and see how it goes. I want to monitor the heat and humidity for a while first, because it would suck to spend $80 for some Ts only to have them die because it's too humid/dry/cold.

Probably a bit overcautious but I want this to be a pleasant experience darnit :I

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, a couple things.
An oil filled space heater would be the best option for raising the room temp. That 68-70 range is fine for you, and your tarantulas.
How are you keeping them now?
If a shelf or cabinet is used a piece of Flexwatt across the back, and on a thermostat, should work well.
Try to seal that door anyway with foam weatherstrip tape. Without seeing it , it is tough to come up with ideas, but there has to be a way to make it stop leaching your heat.
Don't worry as much about humidity as you can control that with the enclosures through ventilation and misting.
Finally, the ceramics do produce a lot of heat. I have a 60W, I believe, in my bearded dragon enclosure. The top is 3/4 plywood, and the temp. on the outside of the wood is 127F. I can't really keep much on top of it. It really keeps the temp up in my 10x12 shed, especially on a warm day.

Transient

Arachnosquire
I don't have any. I was just preparing, but I'm starting to doubt my mother will allow me to have any at all. I can have millipedes though, so it's still an issue.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How would you plan on keeping them? The question is more to determine your best heating options. If you plan on larger displays, a shelf with the heat tape on the back is probably best. If you are looking at smaller enclosures, a small, cheap cabinet could be used. An enclosed space would hold the heat more efficiently.
As for the mom thing, be cool and be patient. Don't give her a bunch of crap. Show her you are doing your homework and being responsible. Get the millipedes. You will learn basic skills that will be handy with the tarantulas. Do all the stuff around the house you are supposed to, and then some. Keep up with the schoolwork. Pretty much just try to be a model kid. Most parents notice this stuff, and we use it to determine what you will and will not be allowed to do or get. We just usually don't let you know that we are watching. NOW GO CLEAN YOUR ROOM!

Transient

Arachnosquire
I'm out of school :laugh: but thanks for the advice, I have a thread about my mum in Chat.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
personally i think the ceramic heaters are junk, and will fail very shortly after getting them...the fans seem to give out too...and they worry me too much about fires...personally i use a oil filled heater...i love it.

Dogfish

Arachnopeon
+1 for the space heater. I use a $50 oil filled heater from the hardware store and a $5 exo-terra thermometer to keep my room just a touch over 70. I live in a drafty old apartment and this setup keeps me and my T's happy all winter long. If I feel like a little fresh air I can even bump up the heater a bit and crack the window.

on a related note, I find that my T's can handle a little bit of cold... They're more hardy than you think. The heat in the summer worries me more than a little winter chill.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
personally i think the ceramic heaters are junk, and will fail very shortly after getting them...the fans seem to give out too...and they worry me too much about fires...personally i use a oil filled heater...i love it.
The ceramic heaters I am speaking about are the screw in light bulb replacements. They are pretty nice, and last much longer than incandescent heat bulbs. I know the little square ceramic space heaters you are talking about though. I would never leave one unattended. They scare the hell out of me too.

Amy Beth

Arachnopeon
Thank you for asking this question. I was worried about my T's too. I usually keep it pretty cool in my home but I have the space heater out and now that I have read this thread I will not worry. I bought a very nice space heater last year. I also want to thank all the comments. Thank you everyone. :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
oh ok i see..but those are made more for spot heating..like for lizards and snakes..
The ceramic heaters I am speaking about are the screw in light bulb replacements. They are pretty nice, and last much longer than incandescent heat bulbs. I know the little square ceramic space heaters you are talking about though. I would never leave one unattended. They scare the hell out of me too.

Transient

Arachnosquire
The whole kicker about this is that the front of the house takes heat perfectly, it warms up quick and stays warm, but my mother would never allow any tank animal out in the open like that hahaha